British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Singapore Airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/singapore-airlines-755021/)

gingerdingo Apr 16th 2012 9:25 am

Singapore Airlines

Hi

We are thinking of flying with Singapore Airlines fom UK to NZ.

We may use the transit hotel at the Changi Airport for a 6 - 18 hr layover.

Has any one used the transit hotel ?

Did yoy have to pick up and then check in your luggage again ?

Did the break in the journey help with jet lag ?

Margaret Parkinson Apr 16th 2012 9:37 am

Re: Singapore Airlines

We have used the Ambassador Transit Hotel 4 times when we visited our family and I have to say it was a big help. We booked it for 8 hours and had a good sleep plus shower etc. You do not have to touch your luggage until you reach NZ. The first time we went we had 15 hours between flights so we went on one of their free tours round Singapore.

Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

June

gingerdingo Apr 16th 2012 9:40 am

Thanks for the quick reply,

Glad you enjoyed the transit hotel. Great feedback.

How was the free tour and which one did you go on.

Did you also pay for and use the Transit Lounge?

Thanks for the help.

Margaret Parkinson Apr 16th 2012 9:50 am

We went on the coach plus a boat ride I forget what they call them. We paid for the Transit Lounge on our return journey. We only had 5 hours between flights so we used it to have a shower and a snack there. We booked the Transit Hotel on line:-

http://athmg.com/transitlounge.htm

http://athmg.com/lounge_pricelist.htm

They are next to each other if I recall.

June

gingerdingo Apr 16th 2012 9:53 am

Thanks again,

You're a good person to know

Margaret Parkinson Apr 16th 2012 10:08 am

So that I don't have to read your other posts are you emigrating or visiting, and where are you going?

June

gingerdingo Apr 16th 2012 10:35 am

The wife is a nurse and we have got a family residency visa on the strength of Julies job.

We have got to validate our visa by Feb 2013. Our eldest will be taking her exams in May 2013 and we do not want to emigrate until she has finished her education in the UK

We have our house on the market but have had very little interest.We are looking to visit for a recce / holiday / validation in Oct for 6 weeks.

Originally was all geared to settle in CHC, after the quakes we are looking at other locations, with Wellington on top at moment.

pricklykina Apr 16th 2012 11:18 am

Exciting times!
I'm going to look like one of those annoying people that pop up in thread and say in a really annoying way ....ahem, but did you realise????

So I'm sorry for being one of those people, however, if you haven't already checked it out before, look at tertiary education costs for your eldest if she is planning to do it here...just because I think I remember eligibility for student loans changing.
feel free to ignore if this is irrelevant and/or piffle

gingerdingo Apr 16th 2012 12:33 pm

feel free to pop up anytime in my threads, I am always looking for extra info. I will check the costs of terriary education for new immigrants.
Thanks again

sparkie down under Apr 16th 2012 8:17 pm

My misses did a similar thing. The transit hotel was fine, air con, clean sheets, quiet, shower. She also had a free bus ride around Singapore, which was ok, but wasn't allowed to get off at all, (and al it made her do was add Singapore to the list of places we must see)!!!

SLH Apr 17th 2012 4:33 am

Hi we've stayed at the transit hotel Changi airport many times and would highly recommend it. The airport is quite large and has plenty of facilities and shops if you didn't want to take a bus trip. No you don't touch your luggage until you arrive in NZ so pack some spare underwear in your hand luggage. Good luck :)

RobDon Apr 17th 2012 8:30 am

Originally Posted by gingerdingo (Post 10008000)
Our eldest will be taking her exams in May 2013 and we do not want to emigrate until she has finished her education in the UK

Our daughter finished her GCSE`s and left school just before we moved over.
Unfortunately GCSE`s are not recongised here and she ended up repeating her last year again to get enough credits to get her into college. :frown:

gingerdingo Apr 17th 2012 4:36 pm

Robdon,

Thanks for the info. We mistakingly have thought that if our daughter got her GCSE's in the UK then the colleges in NZ would be able to do some sort of evaluation and then accept her application on the strength of her UK exams.

Looks like we may have to rethink our timeline. We were purposely dragging our feet to enable the daughter to finish her UK education !

Maybe this has no real benefit now. How is your daughter getting on now ?did she adjust to the new system ?
Thanks again
Nick

Tom1983 Apr 18th 2012 12:02 am

Singapore Airlines - the best airline in the world at the moment in my opinion

Which airport are you flying into? It must be either Auckland or Christchurch

When we flew out here, we had a 5 hour stop over in Singapore. My advice for that is do not use the hotel there if you've got a 5 hour stop. Literally do your best to stay up if your on the 21:25 flight to Christchurch. I did that and then ordered a couple of whisky's after the evening meal and then didn't wake until we approached the New Zealand border. It helped a lot as I wasn't jet lagged until Wednesday when the 13 hour sleep took place.

If you've got a longer stop over, then do have a quick nap. Don't have a long one since the flight is overnight. I did the same on my return route to Christchurch from the Phillipinnes. It was a bit easier that time but did have a long stop over from the Manilla flight. Hotel is very comfortable but just had a 2 hour nap before the night flight.

The city tour is excellent as I did that also. You can't get off you do see a lot. I think work are sending me there soon for a week, can't wait.

RobDon Apr 18th 2012 5:13 am

Originally Posted by gingerdingo (Post 10010630)
Robdon,

Thanks for the info. We mistakingly have thought that if our daughter got her GCSE's in the UK then the colleges in NZ would be able to do some sort of evaluation and then accept her application on the strength of her UK exams.

Looks like we may have to rethink our timeline. We were purposely dragging our feet to enable the daughter to finish her UK education !

Maybe this has no real benefit now. How is your daughter getting on now ?did she adjust to the new system ?
Thanks again
Nick

Have sent you a PM. ;)