Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Silly idea....or could it be done?

Silly idea....or could it be done?

Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Silly idea....or could it be done?

Have been thinking recently about when we get to NZ buying a small section in Central Otago, and take over from UK to NZ something like this.....

http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1998771.aspx

Would we be able to put that into the container...or is it a non starter because it's wood? I know there are quite strict regulations about wood.

Won't be able to afford a crib/batch/holiday home but would like something a bit more permanent than camping all the time....and it's something we can build up over the years i.e improving it.

I have plenty of people on the other side that can help build, the above link is apparently a two person build

Not sure if there is a similar product in NZ, have had a quick look and most of the structures are ready built and can cost up to $70,000!!!!

Is it just a silly pipe dream?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all
Default Re: Silly idea....or could it be done?

Couldn't see a problem so long as it has been treated properly. After all it is processed wood. Try getting in contact with bio security and MAF?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:52 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes provided it's treated it should be ok. It would need to be packaged well to stop it from being damaged during transit and you may get charged duty on it as it's obviously a new item.

As for making it into a dwelling/bach that could be a wee bit tricky as technically it would have to conform to current building standards and councils can get very touchy about anything that's not 'standard issue.'

It's a good idea to check the planning conditions and or building covenants in the area you're thinking about buying into. There may be conditions setting out the max size and nature of a minor dwelling and the sorts of materials they can be made of.

I know people joke about NZ's houses being like sheds but building one that actually is one is very difficult!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:14 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the whole issue should revolve around what type of timber is used in the manufacture and how long will it last.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

This was on a previous thread - for 3 grand more, you get underfloor heating!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-13-099.html
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:00 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Most peoples houses over here are not as well built as that And if you insulate it, that would again double its value Just be careful on Central Otago its got the highest summer temps and the lowest winter oned, we are off to Naseby this week for ice skating on the lakes and they have been getting Hoar frosts, air temp freezes to a gorgeous landscape.

You should set up a franchise in NZ for thos cabins, might be a goer ?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good tips and advice coming, didn't even think about building regs....mostly because if you put that up here appparently you don't need consent, however might be a different story if you built it on a plot of land.

Foofer, I am from Dunedin, so know Central Otago very well...the hot and the cold Although it's fair to say we never really went on holiday in the winter...the alternative is a small camper - not sure which would be colder! Have fun in Naesby, we used to go ice skating there too.

Would love to buy in Ophir, Omakau, Lauder, Oturehua way. Just a pipe dream at the moment, but continue to look at bach's etc in NZ and they are expensive.

http://www.easybach.co.nz/thebach.html

Even with shipping etc the UK option would still be miles cheaper plus you get 20,000 tesco points. I could furnish a whole house with that!!!

Right off to google NZ building regs.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:33 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

this is a NZ company
http://www.theshedshop.co.nz/products.htm

i got my summerhouse from them and they were brilliant.

might be worth comparing prices.
Also when I opened mine here was a bit of wood that had been damaged - the company replaced it - this would be easier for a nz co. to do once you were here than organising it from the UK.

as for regs.. I looked into this at the time I got mine- so long as it's under a certain size you dont need them - but that is quite small. Would be worth checking with local council. Also another way round it is get 2! friends of ours have done that at the beach - one for sleeping one for cooking living.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:41 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Just had another thought - trade me often has wee cabins for sale too.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brilliant ideas, thanks Pixi-dust.

Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:51 pm
A land far far away

no problem! I love mine. Friends of ours have the bigger version of mine and basically it's their spare room! They're pretty easy to put up as well. We got help from a builder friend but it was all done in a few hours.

or this

this is what our friends did at the beach. These are prenailed kits - you specify what size you want. YOu need to have all the rest of the wood yourself though.

Last edited by pixi-dust; Jul 11th 2010 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

That is so pretty!!! I would love a summer house, but not sure the other people in our block of flats would appreciate a summer house plonked on our communal garden ha ha. Missing NZ space today!

Does the bigger one just basically fit a bed in?

Definitely food for thought!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
no problem! I love mine. Friends of ours have the bigger version of mine and basically it's their spare room! They're pretty easy to put up as well. We got help from a builder friend but it was all done in a few hours.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9MybhccD4Q...0/P1040656.jpg

or this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9MybhccD4Q...fs/s1600/1.jpg

this is what our friends did at the beach. These are prenailed kits - you specify what size you want. YOu need to have all the rest of the wood yourself though.
OMG they are awesome. Does prenailed kits just mean the shell and you fill in the rest of the wood yourself? They are lovely and is one corrugated iron
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:17 pm
A land far far away

the bigger one fits a bed and bedside tables with a decent walk round space.

Pre nailed is just the frame.

hold on..

ok first 2 posts will give you an idea of what it looks like to make
http://ourweefarm.blogspot.com/searc...fish%20cottage

these are much more substantial than my summerhouse and are insulated as well. One is corrugated iron, the other is board and batten. A crowd of us put these up in about 2 days - then another 5 days to do all the inside stuff. The sleeping one had a big bed, a mezzanine floor in each gable end with single beds and room to have a chair and bedside tables with a lot of space round it.

Last edited by pixi-dust; Jul 11th 2010 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:19 pm
A land far far away

oh I should say - the prenailed stuff our friends got was drawn out by them and they went to building company who make houses and they did the 'kit'. They said they could do any size. Each of them cost about $4000 in total.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.