British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Sick of the weather / alleged "summer" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/sick-weather-alleged-summer-894606/)

chocolate cake Apr 6th 2017 9:49 am

Re: Sick of the weather / alleged "summer"

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree (Post 12221035)
I don't know, yeah it's been pretty wild at times and that bloody wind at the beginning of summer was maddening but we've had some lovely stretches of weather and a huge number of gorgeous days (BoP), certainly I'd say it's been a better 5 mth stretch Nov to March than you'd see in the U.K. over the June - Oct period, we swam in the ocean last week, certainly would never swim in England in October.

Yeah that's pretty much my impression in Auckland too. A windy start, but from late Dec through mid March some super stretches of good settled weather. Yes, there's been two short spells of very wet weather, just now and earlier in mid March but even in good summer that's not unusual.
It's only earlier April, and they'll be plenty more warm days yet, it's the nights that a drawing in that make things worse, especially now summer time has ended - always seems to end early here in NZ, being early when the UK is the last weekend in October, transformed that would be effectively the end of April here.

bearskin Apr 8th 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 12222888)
from late Dec through mid March some super stretches of good settled weather. Yes, there's been two short spells of very wet weather, just now and earlier in mid March but even in good summer that's not unusual.

Mmmmmwhahahahahahaha. You are dreaming.
January was crap. It was cloudy non stop, we hardly saw the sun. You'll recall it was all over the media. There was even a petition started by a Government Minister to push the official summer holidays back into February - using as evidence the state of weather in January.
Then, just as schools started back, it came good and we had a really banging February. But that was it. By the second week of March summer was over and it has been record-breaking rains - FIVE of them, not two...??? You obviously haven't suffered the flooding that so many poor souls have either.... since you dismiss them so lightly?

bearskin Apr 8th 2017 7:21 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 12222888)
they'll be plenty more warm days yet

Don't get me started on temperature-as-weather... Why do people care what the temperature is - at the expense of the actual weather?

I can just imagine the residents of Edgcumbe, Clevedon, Coromandel etc saying to themselves "It's Ok, it's still 20 degrees.." as their house floods for the fifth time in as many weeks.

mickey_d Apr 10th 2017 4:34 am

Had a great summer in Hawkes Bay:cool:

LoCarb Apr 10th 2017 5:19 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 12225390)
Had a great summer in Hawkes Bay:cool:

As usual :goodpost:

chocolate cake Apr 10th 2017 9:28 am

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 12224298)
Don't get me started on temperature-as-weather... Why do people care what the temperature is - at the expense of the actual weather?

I can just imagine the residents of Edgcumbe, Clevedon, Coromandel etc saying to themselves "It's Ok, it's still 20 degrees.." as their house floods for the fifth time in as many weeks.

OK then, not withstanding the thunderstorms predicted again mid week, we'll still some some decent spells of warm and settled weather.

BEVS Apr 10th 2017 11:38 am

It's been total crap.

I've been here 13 years. It's been complete and utter rubbish and so say all of us where I am.

bearskin Apr 11th 2017 11:12 pm

It's blooming unnatural is what it is. How many times can it be reported that "some areas will get a month's rain in 24 hours"? By my reckoning this is the SIXTH time that line has been trotted out in the last 6 weeks.
It's becoming a weekly event.
Believe me, I have lived in the Auckland region since 2003. Therefore I have unfortunately seen more rain than most people living in the world have. But this is just unsettling. I really struggle to comprehend people who just brush it off like it's somehow normal, or that we should just get over it, cos it's still 20 degrees???
If we get another few months of it, I will be off. Yes, I'm serious. I can't live in this - no-one should have to.

dfjordan Apr 12th 2017 12:08 am

Why not come and join us all in Chile ? You can choose the kind of climate you want, except tropical; houses are made to withstand earthquakes, have central heating , and many other advantages also. I just returned from a visit to Nelson, where I was lucky with the weather, which fortunately turned out to be totally different from the forecast !

BEVS Apr 12th 2017 2:15 am

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 12227241)
It's blooming unnatural is what it is. How many times can it be reported that "some areas will get a month's rain in 24 hours"? By my reckoning this is the SIXTH time that line has been trotted out in the last 6 weeks.
It's becoming a weekly event.
Believe me, I have lived in the Auckland region since 2003. Therefore I have unfortunately seen more rain than most people living in the world have. But this is just unsettling. I really struggle to comprehend people who just brush it off like it's somehow normal, or that we should just get over it, cos it's still 20 degrees???
If we get another few months of it, I will be off. Yes, I'm serious. I can't live in this - no-one should have to.

Well it's not looking good is it. Severe weather warnings all over the place. Even Dunedin has mobilised its emergency centre.

Batten down our hatches.

LoCarb Apr 12th 2017 4:21 am

Could be the worst since the Wahine storm of 1968 according to Metservice:

Live: Cyclone Cook weather could be the worst since 1968 - National - NZ Herald News

Bo-Jangles Apr 12th 2017 11:20 am

"Basically, New Zealand is closed on Thursday." :(

What you need to know: How Cyclone Cook will affect each region | Stuff.co.nz

Charismatic Apr 15th 2017 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12221791)
Charismatic, I shall endeavour to carry on regardless and drink a large mug full of Yorkshire tea :nod:

Quite right Vitals, can't let our standards slip.

Originally Posted by Mightymurph (Post 12222180)

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12221080)
You've gone soft you lot have. In Scarborough there is a near hypothermic child being asked what sort of ice cream they want.

Quote of the year.
Thank you so much. Haha.
I'm nearly crying with laughter.

Not so much a joke as an observation that a British holiday is critical formative preparation for British life.

SSky May 1st 2017 6:35 am

I'm loving it, our land has been dry for nearly three years, yellow and crispy and now it's looking lovely and green.