Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sick of the weather / alleged "summer"

Sick of the weather / alleged "summer"

Old Mar 29th 2017, 11:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sick of the weather / alleged "summer"

It is all MrBEVS fault. He bought the Intex para pool which has gone a bit wonky due to a little bit of subsidence after several heavy torrential downpours.

To be fair he has plunged into it, with a fair bit of grim determination, during pouring rain and lately he has been risking his manly bits as it quickly turned into a Scandanavian plunge pool. Thank goodness for the indoor hot shower.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

To be fair he has plunged into it, with a fair bit of grim determination, during pouring rain and lately he has been risking his manly bits as it quickly turned into a Scandanavian plunge pool.
During a small window of 'fine' a couple of weeks back we went for a walk on the beach and was surprised to see some kids playing around in the water, so I dared to dip my toe in to see if it was warm. It was bladdy freezing!

Next minute, some dude came sprinting down the beach, showing off and ready to do a Hoff and dive straight on in. Oh how we laughed; his stride soon came to a screaming halt, as soon as his little tootsies touched the water.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

OK. So, I had a whinge a while back. But. SERIOUSLY!?
What the actual is going on.
Does anybody else think that now should still be pretty decent weather?
I keep reading about places getting 'a month's rain in a day'
I keep reading about it. Not once every now and then.
This is now weekly. Daily.
Auckland's had it's wettest March EVER. March. Isn't that summer in NZ?
And now it's rain warnings again.

I am seriously seriously unhappy about this crapola.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Stay safe everyone. It's still hosing down here and has been for past few hours; the sheer volume of water on the roads driving home was blooming scary and heaps of stuff on Facebook community pages with flooding and landslides all over the place.

Live: Cyclone Debbie remnants hit NZ | Stuff.co.nz
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Appalling weather in NZ is nothing new. But this feels different now. It's like something really has changed. It doesn't feel like this is just something that will happen once in a while. It's going on too often now to ignore those doubts that it's something else, worse.
If this is global warming, it's coming fast and it's the end of us.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know, yeah it's been pretty wild at times and that bloody wind at the beginning of summer was maddening but we've had some lovely stretches of weather and a huge number of gorgeous days (BoP), certainly I'd say it's been a better 5 mth stretch Nov to March than you'd see in the U.K. over the June - Oct period, we swam in the ocean last week, certainly would never swim in England in October.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:23 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Right, I'll have none of this moaning about summer. You make the most of the summer you've got, not the one you want. There is no reason you can't still have a nice trip out to the seaside, get fish and chips so you can sit in the car with jackets rustling and watch the rain fall on the windscreen as it fogs over with condensation. You've gone soft you lot have. In Scarborough there is a near hypothermic child being asked what sort of ice cream they want. There's no Kiwi summer you can't enjoy with some bloody minded determination and the overwhelming desire to inflict senseless misery on your families with a few arguments and visit to a garden centre on the way. This is the perfect chance you've been looking for to let your Britishness shine through.

Mustn't: Grumble.
Must: Carry on with...the things. Probably after a nice cup of tea.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We've had 177 mm of rain so far and it is now raining again after a small window of sun. I'd say this is the worst 'summer' that we've had in the 10+ years we have been here.

Infact it's just been months of wet really from last July.

Charismatic, I shall endeavour to carry on regardless and drink a large mug full of Yorkshire tea
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:58 pm
`

Originally Posted by bearskin
Appalling weather in NZ is nothing new. But this feels different now. It's like something really has changed. It doesn't feel like this is just something that will happen once in a while. .
I'd go along with that.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

The reports of a cliff crumbling into the sea near 'Waiake' beach in Auckland - that's 2mins walk from us. Our area is forked. And we're being told that 'the worst is yet to come'...?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:00 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'd say this is the worst 'summer' that we've had in the 10+ years we have been here.

Infact it's just been months of wet really from last July.
I arrived in August last year and some people have suggested I'm a weather jinx. We didn't get that glorious stretch of summer days they had in BoP down here and I think I've started to acclimatise to the almost constant cool, wet and windy weather. I've not really noticed a change in the seasons from August through to March, it's been fairly constant with maybe the odd warmer day in February and early March.

If and when the weather improves, it will be a nice surprise I think
Old Apr 5th 2017, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
We've had 177 mm of rain so far and it is now raining again after a small window of sun. I'd say this is the worst 'summer' that we've had in the 10+ years we have been here.
I read somewhere that we've had more than half a years worth of rain over the past month

After a short reprieve this evening I can hear it's just starting again.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Mightymurph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charismatic
You've gone soft you lot have. In Scarborough there is a near hypothermic child being asked what sort of ice cream they want.
Quote of the year.
Thank you so much. Haha.
I'm nearly crying with laughter.

I'm due to come out at the end of the year.
None of this is making me change my plans
Old Apr 5th 2017, 9:02 pm
`

Originally Posted by Mightymurph

I'm due to come out at the end of the year.
None of this is making me change my plans
& why should it.

Bring yer flippers and rubber ring.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Basically, this is all down to those Australians.

They sent Debbie our way and we should hold them fully responsible for our bad weather

Do we send crap weather to them?

NO

Last edited by LoCarb; Apr 6th 2017 at 7:00 am. Reason: missed an is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.