Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sick of the RWC 2015 already

Sick of the RWC 2015 already

Old Oct 19th 2015, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick of the RWC 2015 already

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Absolutely agree with this and Lardyl's sentiments.
Yeah, plus 1 so agree. The RWC coverage and ABs is so ridiculous it's untrue, even in the week leading up to weekend games, the Rugby is still the first item on the news before we've get to extended coverage on the sports news. Then we have the obligatory 'go the ABs' on the day of the matches.

So can't wait for things to be over, the sooner the better.

Until then the news ain't worth watching.

The footy world cup never had the same ridiculous coverage back in the UK.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I hear you. Not just the media hype . The whole darned thing nationwide. Ugh!

TBH it's one of the things I find so distasteful here . Prior to coming to NZ I had no thoughts one way or the other about the ABs . They were simply a quality team to beat. Being too close has quite ruined the whole concept of sporting spirit and team tournaments.
Youve got to remember that rugby is NZs national sport in much the same way football is in England. Why would you be surprised when it gets so much coverage? At least theres one thing going for the AB supporters. When they travel to a Rugby World Cup, there is no issue of alerts to the riot police of the host country.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I think Britain offers the most unbiased coverage of major sporting events though. I remember being in the US during the Sydney olympics. Unless the event had an American competitor in contention, including some of the athletics, it just wasnt shown. It was so frustrating. But every country is the same to different extents.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 8:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by garethwm
Youve got to remember that rugby is NZs national sport in much the same way football is in England. Why would you be surprised when it gets so much coverage? At least theres one thing going for the AB supporters. When they travel to a Rugby World Cup, there is no issue of alerts to the riot police of the host country.
You've missed the point. It is not about how much coverage. It is the nationwide attitude and unsporting manner overall.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 1:23 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

You've missed the point. It is not about how much coverage. It is the nationwide attitude and unsporting manner overall.
Aye. Now our friends at radio sport declare that the only northern hemisphere teams that play decent rugby are those coached by kiwis and rest should follow their example. Sheesh...can that be compared to the attitude of any other nation when it comes to any other sport?
Jingoism alive and well in Nz
Old Oct 20th 2015, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

You mean like the way Gavin Hastings and others reacted to the Scottish loss v Australia? I think every country reacts badly when their team loses. The more they care about the sport, the worse they react. Just an opinion.

Last edited by garethwm; Oct 20th 2015 at 4:08 am.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 4:11 am
`

You mean like the way Gavin Hastings and others reacted to the Scottish loss v Australia?
You make me smile. You are so die hard over anything NZ in a very NZ way that you sorta make my point for me. That's fine of course. You are free to be a part of that . Just leave me to be free to think my own way also.

So. No. Not like the above one chappy.

Lardyl has used the word jingoism. Perhaps we might add arrogant xenophobia.

Quite strong phrases really and not my way of being.

However I meant it as a wrote it.

" It is the nationwide attitude and unsporting manner overall."

and which has caused me to lose my taste for anything AB .

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 20th 2015 at 4:14 am.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

You make me smile.
Great. Thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 6:36 am
`

Great. Thanks.

Just for you as I love that you are you on BE

Spoiler:
Go ABs for garethwm
Old Oct 20th 2015, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Just for you as I love that you are you on BE

Spoiler:
Go ABs for garethwm
Thanks. Watched most of the games. The ABs played an almost perfect game v France. Poetry in motion. Wales almost pulled off a semi berth but injuries counted. I blame Englands demise on coaching and selection. Australia looked good in pool play but were average and lucky v Scotland. My favourite moment Japans final try vs S Africa. Dark horses Argentina can give the Aussies a touchup in the semis. Should be good.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

" It is the nationwide attitude and unsporting manner overall."

and which has caused me to lose my taste for anything AB .
Ditto. It's their attitude (and their supporters) that they own rugby that really gets my goat.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
Ditto. It's their attitude (and their supporters) that they own rugby that really gets my goat.
Ditto from me too, I really could not care less either way for rugby; if England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales or anyone else wins or loses it's absolutely no skin off my nose BUT I would be so happy to see someone (anyone) take the ABs out.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

It's not THEIR attitude it's the MEDIA that stirs up this superiority complex, and with good reason, NZ is good at Rugby. I don't get why people want their adopted country to fail. There were similar attitudes expressed by people on here during the cricket world cup. To be honest - it's embarrassing.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 10:36 pm
`

Where is your thumb up smilie Woodlea. I associate this with you.

It is not just the media. It is the supporters and general attitude about this sport.

I've no desire to see any team fail but quite honestly the attitude takes the sport out of the sport. That's why we don't go to rugby matches anymore. It's just not enjoyable.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woodlea
It's not THEIR attitude it's the MEDIA that stirs up this superiority complex, and with good reason, NZ is good at Rugby. I don't get why people want their adopted country to fail. There were similar attitudes expressed by people on here during the cricket world cup. To be honest - it's embarrassing.
I think some are genuine and some others say things to wind people up. Enjoy the games in the weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.