Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sick leave entitlement - help please!

Sick leave entitlement - help please!

Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:43 am
Beach bums :)

Boogieboard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick leave entitlement - help please!

Looking for a bit of advice after a failed google attempt...

Been working in current job for 10 months, leave in a couple of weeks for new job.
Got my 5 days sick leave entitlement after 6 months and have used 4 days... full of flu at the moment and wondering whether I can take the final day off tomorrow and not have to pay any back from my final pay?

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick leave entitlement - help please!

I would say yes, as you have now accrued the five so it won;t be taken out of your pay.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ,, I have 8 days left before I leave and intend to come down with a touch of scivititis !!!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'd also give it a yes. It's common here to use sick pay as holiday entitlement. Holiday entitlement is often taken by the employer to cover times when work is thin on the ground.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:11 pm
Beach bums :)

Boogieboard is an unknown quantity at this point

But its ok to use all 5 sick days when I've only been there 10 months, its not accumulative?

Thanks everyone *sniffle sniffle*
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sick days kick in after 6 months of work. So, if you started Jan 1st, your sick days kick in July 1st. Thereafter 5 days kick in on the annual 'anniversary' as they call it which would be July 1st.

You are entitled to take the 5 sick days within that year. If you leave the job then you stat again with the 6 months wait time.

Also to note. You can use those sick days for other members of your family. i.e. If your OH is unwell , you can take a sick day to help out.

At least. That's how I've seen it work.

You can take your sick days. You'll have nothing left for the following 8 months .