Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Show us your home growns.

Show us your home growns.

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Show us your home growns.

For the first time ever we have a vege patch, today we had our first two strawberries, sorry ate them before taking a photo. Also growing is potatoes, rhubarb, sweetcorn, mint, rosemary, cabbage, cauliflower & brocolli, tomatos (these are all still growing) Can't wait
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:16 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Oooo brassicas after xmas - risky, ime. Up here they tend to bolt/ attract things that decimate them so i do them to be all gone before xmas.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
For the first time ever we have a vege patch, today we had our first two strawberries, sorry ate them before taking a photo. Also growing is potatoes, rhubarb, sweetcorn, mint, rosemary, cabbage, cauliflower & brocolli, tomatos (these are all still growing) Can't wait
I went for a wummage awound in the undergrowth this arvo and found the grand total of five waspberries and four wunner beans.

We have had no luck with either wunner beans or wubarb at all in this garden. The latest wubarb I planted two or more years back, in what used to be our compost heap cos I thought it might do well there but it hasn't grown any and is barely clinging onto life with three piddly little short stems and chewed leaves. Similar story with a passion fruit vine that I planted last year, as of today it's a goner and now in the compost heap.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Sheep pellets did the trick for my ailing rhubarb.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Sheep pellets did the trick for my ailing rhubarb.
We've done sack and sacks of sheep pellets in this garden but I suppose a few more wouldn't go amiss. Our continued investment in more stuff to improve the soil makes for some very expensive fruit and veggies at the end of the day.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 5:03 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
We've done sack and sacks of sheep pellets in this garden but I suppose a few more wouldn't go amiss. Our continued investment in more stuff to improve the soil makes for some very expensive fruit and veggies at the end of the day.
Yes, that's the trouble isn't it - if gardening isn't something you really love then the initial outlay of stuff is hard to justify. If your soil is as crap as you describe I wouldn't bother trying to work it, just roll with the raised beds. Down here we can get decent topsoil delivered for not much money at all, but as you say if you add up the costs of raised beds it doesn't make for cheap produce in the first couple of years. Have you tried growing tomatoes & strawberries in hanging baskets? They do very well in them and I always notice hanging baskets at garage sales and the like.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 5:04 pm
---

Are you in Auckland, BJ?
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Yes, that's the trouble isn't it - if gardening isn't something you really love then the initial outlay of stuff is hard to justify. If your soil is as crap as you describe I wouldn't bother trying to work it, just roll with the raised beds. Down here we can get decent topsoil delivered for not much money at all, but as you say if you add up the costs of raised beds it doesn't make for cheap produce in the first couple of years. Have you tried growing tomatoes & strawberries in hanging baskets? They do very well in them and I always notice hanging baskets at garage sales and the like.
I do like gardening in general and am full of enthusiasm at the start of each new season until it gets to about now and it starts to feel like it was all a futile and pointless exercise, when I see the fruits of my carefully nurtured plants produce four mingy little things and they're in season and available quite cheaply in the shops.

We try all sorts and had strawberries in a proper planter thing one year which provided about five strawberries (not all on the same day) and a good feed for the birds. I couldn't keep up with the watering, the heat baked the pot and the plants all died. I have loads of Tommies presently in the raised bed they've pretty much taken over so that's all there is, but we've not had any ripen yet.

I have been tempted to get a truckload of topsoil but don't think it's viable really as we're on heavily 'terraced' hilly landscape; largely shored up with retaining walls.

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Are you in Auckland, BJ?
Yes, I am.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:51 am
---

Sounds like you're in a weird microclimate (toms not ripening yet?!?!) with the worst soil ever. Perhaps you should focus on a prolific herb garden - you can't go wrong with herbs imo as the outlay of money and effort is so minimal for a massive chirp up for every meal. Plus, they always look nice.

I know what you mean about stuff ripening just as they're giving it away in shops
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:55 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a small square of land which only sees the summer sun from 1pm so it's not easy to grow stuff. My sugar snaps and cucumber failed this year and my strawberries are not up to much:

Pretty pleased with my tomatoes though (my uncle recommended getting sheeps poo from the garden centre and it's worked a treat):

Grapes are good but I think need a bit more sun:

Peaches every year but I can't take much credit for these:

Last edited by jmh; Feb 7th 2014 at 3:13 am.