Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we move to NZ or Canada?

Should we move to NZ or Canada?

Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we move to NZ or Canada?

Have you checked if there are jobs for you in Canada?

Given that you don't seem to be on a priority list for NZ that could be a major factor in your decision.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amybeans
How awful... well done for getting out in time. We definitely want to move before the full impact of Brexit kicks in...
If you can't get a visa and have been hit by the "don't want to mention it", why not consider the Republic of Ireland, even one of the islands (Achill Island etc.) and a 2nd home in Portugal, or Spain.

Seems to be the logic choice: Ireland: English speaking in the EU, not as cold as Canada, good lifestyle if you like kayaking, surfing, beaches, walking, just as wet as Auckland or Wellington, cheap housing outside the cities, close to UK.

Portugal/Spain: Just as hot as parts of Canada in summer, sunnier than most of New Zealand, cheaper etc.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 18th 2016 at 11:29 am.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 6:08 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it might be a case of where you can get in. I wouldn't be too worried about which country you choose - both have pros and cons. The biggest benefit you will gain is a wider appreciation of the world and the experience of living in another country. You might even gain an appreciation of Britain and the British. Although it may seem hard to imagine right now, Brexit is really a non issue. Europe will still be there and will still want to trade and take British pounds from holiday makers. Some companies will use it as an excuse to make business decisions they wanted to make anyway, just as they did during the GFC. For most British people, life will go on as usual - a few bankers might have to move to Frankfurt.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amybeans
Thank you. Yes I know it is very subjective, but I am interested to heat what people like / dislike about living in both... ☺
Hi, been in NZ 11 years, all in all its been a great success, especially for my kids who were 2, 2 and four upon arrival. NZ is amazing if only for its non populous nature. I imagine Canada is the same. I have never been to Canada but have relatives who have both lived and visited the place, never heard a bad word about the country. However I have never looked at the Canada forum.

NZ like any country has lots of good and bad points. The trick is making sure, that for you and your family, the credit balance of your chosen haven outweighs the the debit balance.

The only way you will ever know how that balance will be is to live in that place. You can do all the research you like, even a long recce, but I honestly believe that actually 'doing it' is the only way you will ever know.

Canada has to be a huge draw simply because of its proximity to the UK and Europe. If that is going to be an issue living in NZ Canada is already streets ahead of Aotearoa. I think I would have been just as happy overall in Canada or NZ.

I do very strongly believe that how things go can be down to your mind set and choices you make. I made a REALLY shite choice buying my 1st house in NZ. It was wonderful in many ways but was very high maintenance and was an absolute bastard to sell because it looked like a 'leaky home' (look this one up and do your research if you ever decide to come to NZ and buy a home!!!!!!). It did not leak and was not a bad home but I had to take a huge hair cut on it when I had to sell it because of the perceived problem around it leaking.

Never ever has the saying been more true 'act in haste repent at your leisure'. I mention this as I made a stupid mistake and i did not do my research at all re the house purchase. apparently one of the most important things about buying a house is 'will I be able to sell this easily?' Sorry to go off topic a wee bit!

What ever choice you make ensure it suits your needs eh? Research, research and more research is the key to a good foundation to build your emigartion dreams upon. Good luck.

Last edited by Genesis; Jul 20th 2016 at 10:58 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 12:14 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Genesis on the home buying front. we bought as soon as our house money from the UK came through, 6mths after we arrived. worse thing we ever did. 12mths in and we realised the area was not what we needed, schooling was extremely bad, locals after the initial interest and friendliness soon showed their real colours so we also took a hit to get out.

rent for at least 18mths or longer if you can to make sure your initial feelings for an area are not just honeymoon feelings but in fact long term feelings
Old Jul 21st 2016, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I agree with Genesis on the home buying front. we bought as soon as our house money from the UK came through, 6mths after we arrived. worse thing we ever did. 12mths in and we realised the area was not what we needed, schooling was extremely bad, locals after the initial interest and friendliness soon showed their real colours so we also took a hit to get out.

rent for at least 18mths or longer if you can to make sure your initial feelings for an area are not just honeymoon feelings but in fact long term feelings
Oh so true. I promised my family back in the UK I would rent for ATLEAST 6 months. Rushing into buying was a very big, long term mistake. Rent, rent, rent 1st!! To be fair we did try to rent a house but there was so little available to rent at the time, we also bought at the VERY top of the market. Dumb and unlucky.

A bit more research on NZ's housing market would have told me that.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

....and from someone who didn't fall into the buy straight away trap!

We rented in Wellington for the whole time we lived there - 2.5 years. So so glad we didnt buy as it simply wasn't the place for our family to settle. Didn't meet our expectations of what life would be like in NZ. We wanted to live closer to a nice beach so we looked elsewhere and eventually moved up to Tauranga where we all settled almost immediately. We love it here and know it's the place for us to stay but even so we have rented for 18 months before deciding on where we want to live. There's no way of knowing all the advantages and disadvantages of an area unless you live in and around and hear the advice from locals for a while.
Experience and research is key.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:48 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

we looked into both. we moved with a 11month old and two year old.
we choose nz as my husband had been and worked here before.

Although NZ is tucked away in the ass end of the world it doesn't feel so isolated. whereas places in Canada seemed to be so remote.My husbands in agriculture.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There would be very few people that have lived in both. We sometimes get people asking same question on the Australia forum but I can only think of two posters that would be in a position to answer and one of those because she is Canadian not British.
I'm a Canadian living in Australia who has had some vacation time across the ditch, so I'll give it a shot.

amybeans, you don't give much away beyond your family's professions, so it's hard to tell what would drive your choice of one geography vs another.

But in a professional sense, the "big pond" vs "small pond" difference is readily apparent between the two countries, not so much because Canada's GDP is 15X NZ--the business culture is much closer than that gap would suggest--but because the US market profoundly drives opportunity and scale for Canada-based businesses.

I'm judging that based on experience in an industry only tangentially connected to architecture (IT) so YMMV and all.

Meanwhile, back in NZ, the "land of the long white cloud" has more concentrated geophysical beauty per square whatever than any other country on earth. Canada is no slouch in this realm, but NZ tops it in two small islands.

So its a classic career vs lifestyle choice, and not knowing anything else about you, amybeans, I'll go with the "bigger pond" collar...