Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we move to NZ?

Should we move to NZ?

Old Apr 10th 2019, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we move to NZ?

Tablets/Laptops being added to the stationary list are very quickly becoming a common thing across Australia and New Zealand. Not really sure why that is a cause for complaint. The world has changed.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Tablets/Laptops being added to the stationary list are very quickly becoming a common thing across Australia and New Zealand. Not really sure why that is a cause for complaint. The world has changed.
There are people with thousand dollar iPhones complaining they can't afford tablets for their kids.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by diddy22
Hi. Been in NZ 10 years and my advice to you would be don't bother, go to Australia. Worked in education for 5 years but had to come out of it as the wages for teachers here are poor, housing is pretty crap and expensive, big divide between the have and have-nots, tall poppy syndrome, high culture of bullying within work and schools, kiwis who say "we must meet up for lunch" but never do as they are very clicky. Great beaches but not much else to do as every town has the same shops, bakeries etc etc. Lacks culture and excitement. Off to Australia where the people are nicer, friendly, open minded, well travelled and don't have the "small country syndrome". Good Luck

I think this is one of the most accurate descriptions of New Zealand I've read in a long time
Old Apr 13th 2019, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting reading all the comments here. We've been in NZ for 9 years, have 2 girls 11 and 14 and came for exactly the reasons cwilkes84 lists. It has been a great experience which I don't regret but I would go home (UK) tomorrow if I could. Not that there's anything wrong at all with NZ it's just no longer for me. It's hard to leave though when the kids are settled.

I think though it's really important to realise that if you do come, there are things that are better than the UK and there are things that are not - just like any other place. We have been happy with some aspects of the education system here - kids have more freedom to roam (bare footed) which suits my youngest who is a wild spirited kiwi and for my eldest the small rural school she started off in gave her room to become more confident. However, that said if your child is not sporty (eldest is not) they can quickly feel left out as competitive sport is a huge deal in schools. Since we arrived we've watch class sizes grow and grow - last year youngest was in a class of 33! The education system is less focused on training kids to pass tests which is a positive and on the whole we feel more comfortable with our kids having a degree of freedom outside of school (we're in Nelson) more so than we would of if we're in the UK. However, girls are still bitchy, social media is still an issue, bullying goes on everywhere (as I'm sure it does in other countries) so please don't imagine you'll necessarily escape those things. I think it just depends on your personal experience - as it would in any country.

The cost of living is high here - we were a bit naive and believed all the hype about it being a cheaper place to live and having a better work life balance. Neither are true. We have both had to work longer hours, harder and for less reward (less leave and pay) than in the UK and without family support that has at times been crippling hard. On the flip side it is a beautiful place to live with great weather and stunning beaches. However, as hubby says beaches and sunshine only get you so far in life.

I would always say if moving is something you want to do and your family are in agreement then it's better to give it a go than live a life of wondering 'what if' but be cautious and don't expect a necessarily 'better' life but a different life.

In terms of teachers - my sister and bro in law are both teachers (were in NZ) due to low pay etc they now live in Brunei. Primary teachers pay is pretty poor.

Good luck with your decision
Old Apr 13th 2019, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Best post ever!! You really summed it up well there vicejw.