Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we move to NZ?

Should we move to NZ?

Old Sep 26th 2018, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we move to NZ?

Teachers are often employed on a one-year's contract when starting at a new school - but the pay/benefits are identical to a permanent employee. At primary level this is mostly due to either the teacher being a beginning teacher so they need to complete 2 years probation before they become a fully qualified teacher. This also means they need an experienced mentor teacher at the school who is paid extra - so it depends on staffing available/willing and also covers the school if the beginning teacher doesn't pass their registration.

The other reason at primary is that roll numbers vary depending on numbers especially at the junior level, so if there's a dip in roll they won't re-employ a teacher as they're on a contract.

But it also gives the new teacher the option to move elsewhere if they don't want to continue working at the school or find a better job.

Teacher vacancies are advertised here https://gazette.education.govt.nz/vacancies/ - there are loads this year, far more than in previous years. Jobs for next year are coming out now (my school was interviewing today for next year).

I don't know much about teaching at secondary level - but I do know they get at least 5 hours release time a week compared to primary who get 10 hours per term......one of the many reasons primary school teachers are striking!
Old Sep 26th 2018, 5:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Important bit is the length of contract for a prospective migrant to apply for residency.

Would a new overseas teacher gain a long term - as in 2 years or more - permanent full time contract?

Mind you a year would get someone a temp work visa.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

UK2PTviaNZandChina is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I had very similar route from UK to NZ. If the original poster want to hear about how we fared in NZ, exploring, teaching bringing up our kids and how after 6 years as we escaped the Financial crisis which came at a nasty time for us, and ended up, of all places, most unexpectedly in the International School sector in Shanghai for 10 years, we'd have no problem skyping to answer any questions or throw light. We have many experiences and no axe to grind.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2PTviaNZandChina
My wife and I had very similar route from UK to NZ. If the original poster want to hear about how we fared in NZ, exploring, teaching bringing up our kids and how after 6 years as we escaped the Financial crisis which came at a nasty time for us, and ended up, of all places, most unexpectedly in the International School sector in Shanghai for 10 years, we'd have no problem skyping to answer any questions or throw light. We have many experiences and no axe to grind.
It would be helpful if you shared some of your experiences in this forum. We do get a lot of lurkers here who, for whatever reason, never sign up as posters, but do digest valuable information like people's own experiences.

I realise I am coming back to the party late for these other comments but:

MrsFrychan, there is no requirement for overseas trained teachers to demonstrate proficiency in the Treaty of Waitangi:

https://educationcouncil.org.nz/cont...rseas-teachers

BEVS, an interesting legal point you raise, but in a practical sense I think it is moot due to the hiring culture in schools. Sifting through graduate CVs can be something of a crapshoot . . . let alone graduate teachers who trained elsewhere. So, offering a permanent contract to a graduate teacher, with no New Zealand experience, who is on a temporary visa? I would not be holding out hope for this if I was OP.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

diddy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Been in NZ 10 years and my advice to you would be don't bother, go to Australia. Worked in education for 5 years but had to come out of it as the wages for teachers here are poor, housing is pretty crap and expensive, big divide between the have and have-nots, tall poppy syndrome, high culture of bullying within work and schools, kiwis who say "we must meet up for lunch" but never do as they are very clicky. Great beaches but not much else to do as every town has the same shops, bakeries etc etc. Lacks culture and excitement. Off to Australia where the people are nicer, friendly, open minded, well travelled and don't have the "small country syndrome". Good Luck
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that has always concerned me about the NZ education system is the sheer volume of people here who don't know the difference between 'bought' and 'brought'.

I know an English school teacher who consistently says 'brought' when buying products. Terrifying. And that's just one example. What on earth are they teaching them?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Woman is used for groups of women - bizarre and cavemanish
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:32 am
`

Originally Posted by diddy22
Woman is used for groups of women
That's in part the dialect surely. We UKers tend to say Wimmen.

Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Women is for more than one woman, and woman is for one..they use woman for one and for many....
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:42 am
`

Originally Posted by diddy22
Women is for more than one woman, and woman is for one.
I know that

.they use woman for one and for many....
....as I said, that is likely more to do with accent & pronunciation just as UKers will say wimmen. It isn't how it is written.

No big deal really though is it. Most all of us have accents and dialects in the way we speak. My husband is a yamyam. You'd curl up at some of his use of language.

Old Apr 9th 2019, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Surely that's down to personality and parenting, not country? My 14 year old has no interest in social media, drives me up the wall as she never has her phone on, and spends 80% of her free time outside. We're in the UK, and many of her friends are exactly the same, don't assume that it's country specific.[/LEFT]
I think you'll find that Social media addiction is as much an issue in NZ as it is in Britain. youngsters seems to have their faces in their phones for much of their day. They don't play outside enjoying the 'great outdoors' any more than the average British youngster, in fact most of what goes on in Britain goes on here as well, including bullying.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayandbill
I think you'll find that Social media addiction is as much an issue in NZ as it is in Britain. youngsters seems to have their faces in their phones for much of their day. They don't play outside enjoying the 'great outdoors' any more than the average British youngster, in fact most of what goes on in Britain goes on here as well, including bullying.
Exactly. If somebody has a child that's glued to their phone and social media, moving to NZ (or any other country) isn't going to magically change that.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 9:47 pm
`

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Exactly. If somebody has a child that's glued to their phone and social media, moving to NZ (or any other country) isn't going to magically change that.
The kids here are every bit as much into their phones and social media as anywhere else. They honestly are.
It is only if the parents, like our next door neighbours, limit or exclude it that it doesn't take hold.
Some schools here are now adding tablets to the stationery lists , to be provided by the parents of course.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 10th 2019 at 9:25 pm. Reason: Oopsies. Correct an auto-correct.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

"Some schools here are now adding tablets to the stationary lists , to be provided by the parents of course."

You mean stationEry of course! (sorry, couldn't resist being a teacher!!!!!)
Old Apr 10th 2019, 9:23 pm
`

Originally Posted by MOSO
"Some schools here are now adding tablets to the stationary lists , to be provided by the parents of course."

You mean stationEry of course! (sorry, couldn't resist being a teacher!!!!!)
Oh dear. Of course. Yes I did. I will correct it . So very important.
That will teach me not to try and type using my phone and without my glasses,. Or perhaps I should write spectacles, meaning the glasses upon my nose without which, of course, I could make a spectacle of myself with a weeny overlooked auto-correct

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.