Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we move to NZ?

Should we move to NZ?

Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we move to NZ?

I would also recommend taking a look at Australia. Secondary teacher is on the skilled occupation list and salaries are considerably higher than in New Zealand.

Compare the teacher salaries of the various Australian states to New Zealand by looking at the actual labour award contracts (available on all the state/territory Education Department web sites) not aggregation web sites like glassdoor etc.

Though getting a teaching job in Australia as an outsider is at least as challenging as it is in New Zealand, if not moreso.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

I'm not sure if your area of education are on any long term visas
Teachers are not considered to be in shortage here in New Zealand so this occupation does not appear on the shortages lists. In fact there has been a glut of home grown teachers familiar and trained in NZ ways and Te Reo who have been unable to find full time long term positions.

Many do supply work or are on one year renewable contracts. This would not satisfy NZ Immigration with regard to the ability to settle long term test.

Oddly though , the Dept of Education does appear as an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer .
Old Sep 24th 2018, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If OP gets Australian PR as mentioned above, they could go to New Zealand on that visa and get work. Perfectly legal to do this. Australian PR holders are automatically granted NZ PR on arrival, but can't access benefits right away and have some other restrictions.

But OP would need to be sure that this strategy could eventually lead to NZ PR - a New Zealand-based migration agent would need to advise.

I also have no idea what it would do to OP's status in New Zealand, if they are there when the travel facility on Australian PR expires after 5 years, if they haven't sorted out an appropriate NZ visa.

There are some Australian teachers in NZ but not that many because of the salary differential, the migration pattern is the other way.

Not as easy as it used to be, to get to NZ or Australia, and the days of people just showing up and getting teaching jobs on the spot ended about 15 years ago.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 8:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cwilkes84
We also want our children to grow up in a world not dominated by social media and a culture that moans about everything whilst doing nothing to improve it. Is life in NZ good with children? Can kids still be kids until they are in their teens? Or is it similar to the UK when they rush to be adults and then moan about missing out on things when they were younger?

Surely that's down to personality and parenting, not country? My 14 year old has no interest in social media, drives me up the wall as she never has her phone on, and spends 80% of her free time outside. We're in the UK, and many of her friends are exactly the same, don't assume that it's country specific.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

To sum up.......the education system in NZ is DIFFERENT to the UK - not better, not worse - just DIFFERENT. Some kids will leave after year 13 and go to University, and some will be successful in trades or other careers. We follow a different curriculum, we have a different exam system at secondary level. No, it is absolutely not the UK 30 years ago, that wouldn't make any sense. We live in the same world with the same access to technology, same teenage issues etc.

There are low decile schools and high decile schools which are just reflections of the socio-economic area they are based in. Some people make the mistake that schools and therefore teachers are better because they contain richer kids - absolutely not true, but that is the same as the UK.

We are an English speaking country with close ties to the UK, but that doesn't make us the UK on the other side of the world. I would say our education system is mostly similar to the Australian system, but not so much the UK or US or Canada. Why would it be?
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12130851

Straight after reading this thread I saw this article in the Herald which may be of interest
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.seek.co.nz/job/37302212?type=standout

And this is the advert from the agency that are recruiting on behalf of the government
Old Sep 24th 2018, 8:29 pm
`

Originally Posted by carcajou
If OP gets Australian PR as mentioned above, they could go to New Zealand on that visa and get work. Perfectly legal to do this. Australian PR holders are automatically granted NZ PR on arrival, but can't access benefits right away and have some other restrictions.

Yes and true. We posted at the same time.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Surely that's down to personality and parenting, not country? My 14 year old has no interest in social media, drives me up the wall as she never has her phone on, and spends 80% of her free time outside. We're in the UK, and many of her friends are exactly the same, don't assume that it's country specific.[/LEFT]
Yes. I rather thought that from what I have seen both sides of the ponds.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 8:36 pm
`

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
https://www.seek.co.nz/job/37302212?type=standout

And this is the advert from the agency that are recruiting on behalf of the government
Good one

The trick with this is to ensure that any contract will fulfill the NZIS criteria for a Work to Residence visa. ( Note: As stated the Dept of Education is an Accredited employer)

Job must be full time & permanent & salary over the two years should be $55K pa I believe.

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12130851

Straight after reading this thread I saw this article in the Herald which may be of interest
Interesting.

The NZIS shortage lists are adjusted twice a year. October and June.

For the hopeful immigrant one would want to see teachers as an occupation reappearing on the long term shortage list as that gives valuable points towards a skilled migrant residency visa.

What you wouldn't wish to see is the occupation merely making the immediate shortage list. That would mean the aim really is to use the overseas folk as stop gaps until the home growns come through. Often this means a lower salary and a year on year contract. That makes it very difficult to apply for NZ residency.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What you wouldn't wish to see is the occupation merely making the immediate shortage list. That would mean the aim really is to use the overseas folk as stop gaps until the home growns come through. Often this means a lower salary and a year on year contract. That makes it very difficult to apply for NZ residency.
Isn't this the plan though? They are still training NZ teachers. A beginning teacher will usually only get a years contract, but I'm not sure for an experienced teacher from another country - you'd think with experience you'd warrant a FT position.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:24 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
you'd think with experience you'd warrant a FT position.
Would you though? as they do not have NZ experience " Teaching experience on its own will not be sufficient for registration in New Zealand. To be considered satisfactorily trained to teach you need to have a tertiary level qualification that includes sufficient elements of teacher education and pedagogical study" this was taken from Pathway to teaching. I also think they need to be aware and show they understand the Treaty of Waitangi but may be incorrect on that one, perhaps a teacher registered overseas that has successful gained employment can answer that.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Sep 25th 2018 at 8:51 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KiwiDean
Once again, you make generalisations about your own personal experiences and criticise the education system in the whole country. Oh, you forgot to mention that New Zealand is the sole cause of your depression that you have gone on about.
Alas re the bullying aspect the poster speaks of, I have found that to be very true. NZ is riven through with bullying, at all levels, at school at work and at home. I have experienced it first hand both at school and the work place...three workplaces in fact. Two were VERY large government bodies. I know many people, some exceedingly senior who have been bullied...like at the top of their profession. The very, very top. It is very sad.

There I something wrong with this country if only because of the epidemic bullying that is abroad, the terrible suicide figures and the appalling road death toll, which they all seem to blame on ‘the roads’. Drivers kill each other and themseves. Not roads.

Last edited by Genesis; Sep 25th 2018 at 11:37 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I would also recommend taking a look at Australia. Secondary teacher is on the skilled occupation list and salaries are considerably higher than in New Zealand.

Compare the teacher salaries of the various Australian states to New Zealand by looking at the actual labour award contracts (available on all the state/territory Education Department web sites) not aggregation web sites like glassdoor etc.

Though getting a teaching job in Australia as an outsider is at least as challenging as it is in New Zealand, if not moreso.
Canada, have a look at Canada. Closer to the UK. If I had my time again it would be my preferred choice.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 3:06 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Well Helloooo Genesis, hows life treating lately?
Old Sep 26th 2018, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Well Helloooo Genesis, hows life treating lately?
All good thanks. Enjoying my retirement from all things work! Just avoid the bad drivers and the bullies and she’ll be right! Sweet as bro!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.