Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we just do it?

Should we just do it?

Old May 5th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Bonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant future
Default Should we just do it?

Well, got an offer on our house at the weekend so it's time to make our minds up! It's not quite what we wanted but considering what the market is like we would be mad to turn it down.

My hubbys job offer is in the Auckland area and a management role, but I guess my main concern as always are his qualifications. One of the main job requirements is that he holds a trade certificate in mechanics, which he does hold an equivalent but it's not C&G. We sent everything including references, on the job training and anything else we could find off to NZQA but it came back not comparable & I think we ended up with the only guy in the building who barely spoke a word of english, which hasn't helped our case.

We saw an immigration consultant a couple of weeks ago and was advised my husbands past experience and in-house franchise training should hold good with immigration to get a general work visa? He has all the franchise qualifications which are also required to do the job, so do you all think I am worrying about nothing? Do you think we'll be okay to go ahead and sell the house and just hope we get granted work visa's?

Any advice would be great!
Old May 5th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we just do it?

Think I'd feel inclined to ring NZIS whatever the cost and run it by them, and get something in writing?
Good luck - oh and well done on the house sale.
Old May 5th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonniewoo
Well, got an offer on our house at the weekend so it's time to make our minds up! It's not quite what we wanted but considering what the market is like we would be mad to turn it down.

My hubbys job offer is in the Auckland area and a management role, but I guess my main concern as always are his qualifications. One of the main job requirements is that he holds a trade certificate in mechanics, which he does hold an equivalent but it's not C&G. We sent everything including references, on the job training and anything else we could find off to NZQA but it came back not comparable & I think we ended up with the only guy in the building who barely spoke a word of english, which hasn't helped our case.

We saw an immigration consultant a couple of weeks ago and was advised my husbands past experience and in-house franchise training should hold good with immigration to get a general work visa? He has all the franchise qualifications which are also required to do the job, so do you all think I am worrying about nothing? Do you think we'll be okay to go ahead and sell the house and just hope we get granted work visa's?

Any advice would be great!

I think the worry is a valid one. Do you want to move from where you are anyways? If not I guess its about having to sit tight until you get a definite yes. How long have you got till you sign your house away? Contacting NZIS is a good idea. Can't he employer help by also contgacting NZIS and enquiring for you??
Old May 5th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Bonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genesis
I think the worry is a valid one. Do you want to move from where you are anyways? If not I guess its about having to sit tight until you get a definite yes. How long have you got till you sign your house away? Contacting NZIS is a good idea. Can't he employer help by also contgacting NZIS and enquiring for you??
If we can't move to NZ then I feel we would be better off staying put. We've probably got about 4 weeks until we reach the point of no return with the house, but I guess we could always get our solicitor to stall things if necessary. We have already phoned NZIS in London three times and each time have received different answers. I suppose one option would be to take a day off and go to NZ house with all our paperwork to see if we can get a straight answer. We'll try getting the employer to help too. Thanks Genesis!
Old May 5th 2008, 10:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. It would be worth a day to speak with NZIS direct.

It's not so much whether or not you will be able to gain the temporary work visas . It's more where you go from there and if you have a chance of becoming Permanent Residents.

What is the job title , the rate of pay & the terms /conditions

If this firm have given your husband a firm job offer which you have in writing , then clearly his mechanical trade quals are fine with them .

Use the ANZSCO search facility and find which occupation most closely matches your husbands job offer. What NZ level does it state? Do you feel your husband has enough proof to show he is experienced enough for the NZ management role?

I wonder possibly if NARIC in the UK could help . They look at quals etc and then give a compatibility statement. If they could compare the qual to an NVQ3 level or C&G 1+2, then this would make it easier for NZIS to know that your husbands certs and equal to the level required.
Old May 5th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bonniewoo
If we can't move to NZ then I feel we would be better off staying put. We've probably got about 4 weeks until we reach the point of no return with the house, but I guess we could always get our solicitor to stall things if necessary. We have already phoned NZIS in London three times and each time have received different answers. I suppose one option would be to take a day off and go to NZ house with all our paperwork to see if we can get a straight answer. We'll try getting the employer to help too. Thanks Genesis!
See how many points you have with the job offer it may be enough just to count work experience, thats what we did. Hubbys qualifications weren't high enough but he had 2o+yrs experience in family business so documented all work experience and it was enough to keep them happy, didn't bother with NZQA.