Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice
Default Re: Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Start date
End date
Note what were his main day to day activities
If posssible, obtain signature and statement from employer

A bit like what gets put on a cv really, just it's better if some sort of statement gets included by the employers. I don't think its a necessity, but it does help
I remember reading somewhere it needs to be very detailed..... are you a sparky out there and gone through the EWRB process? I'm just worried that they come back to us saying there's not enough information.... Just want to make sure we don't miss anything! Thanks x
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Start date
End date
Note what were his main day to day activities
If posssible, obtain signature and statement from employer

A bit like what gets put on a cv really, just it's better if some sort of statement gets included by the employers. I don't think its a necessity, but it does help
If it is for NZIS then it needs the number of hours worked per week as well. Anything over 30 hours is classed as fulltime. Less than that will have an effect on the number of years work experience that can be claimed for. Other than that, what Tom said!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice

Thanks for your help everyone It's really reassuring knowing there's others that have been through the emigration process and can share advice.... There's so much to do - it's a bit daunting tbh but hopefully we'll get there in the end!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Can't believe EWRB registration has gone up from NZ$70 to $350 in just 6 months!! Oh well, better not leave it any longer....sending documents in to EWRB this weekend. House is very nearly sold.... got a buyer and are just waiting for surveys to be done....fingers crossed we'll sell in the next few weeks. The ball is definitely rolling!! Becky
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Anniemannie is an unknown quantity at this point

No! I love it here but am moving back to the Uk this week. The rebuild had completely stalled. My husband has quite a high profile job and spoken with the main players who say the larger companies cannot make the figures work for the rebuild to be financially feasible. The cost of living is horrendous, rent is a rip off, the quality of housing is below WHO standards and the city will never be rebuilt. The good points - the weather, the people, the scenery outside Chch and if u are outdoorsy then fine but make sure u have a lot of money in the bank when u come over and enough to get u home.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 8:11 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anniemannie
No! I love it here but am moving back to the Uk this week. The rebuild had completely stalled. My husband has quite a high profile job and spoken with the main players who say the larger companies cannot make the figures work for the rebuild to be financially feasible. The cost of living is horrendous, rent is a rip off, the quality of housing is below WHO standards and the city will never be rebuilt. The good points - the weather, the people, the scenery outside Chch and if u are outdoorsy then fine but make sure u have a lot of money in the bank when u come over and enough to get u home.
Sorry it's gone, 'belly up' for you. You've been on the receiving end of the truth about the Christchurch rebuild. A truth not often heard. Good luck with your homeward journey, I hope all goes well.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Anniemannie
This post confused me a little until I realised it was in response to Steve88's original question ages ago "Should we emigrate to NZ?"
I see your post is in a very similar vein to the post you made to the farming family, c_wal10.

As Snapshot says, it is sad that it isn't working out for you and your OH . Please feel free to share in a thread of your own, rather than dumping on the hope in other people's threads . Thanks.

Steve88 is not a project manager. He is a sparky and that trade is in long term shortage here in NZ. Once he has the pre-registration sorted he would be free to seek work in his trade anywhere in NZ. He isn't tied to Christchurch at all, although it could be a good springboard if he gained a job offer there.

Yes. Steve88 needs to watch the trade wage and it will be less perhaps to start with as he needs to upskill to NZ ways. Nothing new there. MY OH had to do the self same as a plumber/gasfitter. I agree the fees are naughty Steve88 . The PGDB is no better.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:11 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve88
Thanks for the advice..... we pretty much have our hearts set on emigrating to nz after a lot of research and decision making...... and have come to the conclusion that it may work/may not work for us but we are determined to give it our best shot!! Yes it is a bit of a worry financially but I suppose we have no way of knowing exactly what our expenditure is going to be until we get out there..... we are no strangers to roughing it a bit and keeping an eye on our pennies and we are aware that it will be a struggle in the short term..... we are hoping to time it right so that Steve can do his electrical training/exams soon after arrival..... in either November/June..... so hopefully he won't be on crap money for too long

We are hoping to rent for a couple of years before we decide to buy.... we will be keeping some of the money from the sale of the house over here incase we decide it's not for us and want to move back (also the exchange rate is pretty rubbish so hoping it may improve in time..!?) We have heard that places outside of the city are less expensive?? This would suit us better, and we don't mind commuting..... if anyone can recommend any places to look at/places to avoid considering we have 2 primary school age children that would be great
It is a great place for kids here, you have nothing to lose, NZ does have soul and old fashioned kindness toward one another, the bummer is that globalisation has made it expensive, but that's the fact that we live in a global village now I guess, so there's no going back. So you are doing the right thing.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

UPDATE : Was a busy year last year - We sold our house in October, got married in November and moved into a 1 bed temp holiday home (which shall we say is ....COSY!) We began the new year by submitting our EOI(without job offer) which got selected last week - WOOHOO!! Steve is coming over to NZ in February for a month on his own for a reccie and if all goes to plan start work in April while me (Becky) and the boys wait for our SMC visa before joining him in the summer (...winter!) Been busy changing name and updating passports e.t.c. and have been looking into getting police certs/medicals done.... exciting stuff

Any info/advice on the electrical side of things would be helpful if anyone has the time.... i.e. courses/tests (where/how much), roughly how long it will take to get registration (under supervision), any recommendations of electrical firms in CHCH region.

Thanks Folks and 'Happy New Year!'
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:59 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats.....magic...
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Lovely to hear from you and a Happy New Year 2014.

With regard to this

Any info/advice on the electrical side of things would be helpful if anyone has the time.... i.e. courses/tests (where/how much), roughly how long it will take to get registration (under supervision), any recommendations of electrical firms in CHCH region.
You'd probably be best off starting a new thread specifically to ask this. Title it, Help from Sparkies ref. NZ registration & jobs.... or something like that