Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Im sure you'll be fine! At least your looking into the downsides aswell. I think us woman are the worst for worrying lol the men seem to be a bit more laidback usually! If your going for the PR visa then thats a bit more secure aswell which will help, least you can look for other jobs if your other ones didnt work out x
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Steve88
.......... It's better to be in the know as much as possible before making any decisions..... It's a huge step to take and can feel quite daunting at times but it's something we've been thinking about for a long time but hopefully our reasons for going are enough to outweigh any downsides!
Quite.

I see you have 140 points and himself is a sparky. That is an automatic draw from the EOI pool.

Please be aware that NZIS may chose to offer you a job search visa instead of straight off NZ residency. They do this as a further precaution to ensure you will be able to settle well. Job = income after all.

Also, get started on the EWRB registration forms.
It's a requirement
He will only be able to uplift a provisional license after doing a H&S course ( I think)
Thereafter he will need to complete EWRB requirements to become fully NZ registered.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice

Thanks, yeh, lots to think about and get sorted..... Do you know if the work search visa would be for the whole family and would we need to prove we have enough funds to support ourselves for 9 mths? I suppose timing is going to be an issue too.... especially if we get a job search visa (i.e. only having 6 mths to get ourselves out there rather than a year....) Think we need to start drawing up a "plan of action"
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

NZIS

Originally Posted by NZIS
If you have been offered a job search visa, there are certain things you have to do.
  • Within three months of the offer, you must return your application form for the job search visa.
  • You must show us that you are able to support yourself in New Zealand. This means NZ$1000 for each month, or NZ$400 each month if your accommodation has been paid for.
You will also have to show that you have the money available to purchase tickets to your home country should you have to leave New Zealand.

If you are out of New Zealand, you will get a job search visa with travel conditions allowing you to travel to New Zealand within three months. On arrival, or if you are already in New Zealand, you will be granted a further work visa for nine months.
I think, but don't take my word for it, that on a SMC job search visa only the main applicant is issued this. Other members of the family would have to apply for stand alone visas and the only one on offer would be a visitors visa.

Still. Electrician is in absolute shortage and you have 140 points. It could be good to go for residency.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice

Thanks, yes when reading it again sounds like it's just for the main applicant...... will check to make sure though. Think it would be wise to go separately anyway to get job and accommodation sorted first.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Quite.

I see you have 140 points and himself is a sparky. That is an automatic draw from the EOI pool.

Please be aware that NZIS may chose to offer you a job search visa instead of straight off NZ residency. They do this as a further precaution to ensure you will be able to settle well. Job = income after all.

Also, get started on the EWRB registration forms.
It's a requirement
He will only be able to uplift a provisional license after doing a H&S course ( I think)
Thereafter he will need to complete EWRB requirements to become fully NZ registered.
Sorry I'm confused again !! A few more questions I'm afraid if you can help.....

We do not have job offer so wouldn't we have to wait til we get there (once done h&s course and found an employer...?) to get provisional license?

Steve has city and guilds NVQ level 3 electrical installation engineering certificate with 10 yrs experience and not sure if it will need assessing by NZQA as can't see it on the list.....? Maybe it's just me being stooopid....? ......Is this something that needs to be done before submitting EOI?

He also has a BSc so was wondering if he would be able to use that to gain extra points (rather than electrical qualification) considering he would be claiming points for his electrical work experience....?

Any advice would be great, cheers

Last edited by Steve88; Mar 5th 2013 at 9:57 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, Sorry I've just realised that EWRB will do assessment of qualifications so no need to contact NZQA is there? and yes we will get onto them first before going any further as it can take a while can't it .......I've learnt from yesterdays post that it's not a good idea to try and research things late at night after a couple of glasses of wine - lol!! .....Still not sure about degree but if it claims us extra points then maybe gd idea to put it down....
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

....Still unsure if we need to get electrical qualifications assessed by nzqa AND ewrb.... seems strange to have to do it twice.... if anyone has been through the process and knows what's required that would be great! Would a letter from EWRB stating that they will issue a provisional license on arrival to NZ be enough? Just trying to get things clear as to what needs doing, and when..... (yes, it's late but not much wine tonight!! )

Last edited by Steve88; Mar 8th 2013 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

UPDATE: We have been busy getting the house ready to put on the market..... getting it valued next week!! We are also in the process of getting all paperwork ready to send to EWRB.... if anyone has any advice on the kind of requirements re:experience that would be great (for some reason our search engine won't work and I haven't got a clue how to start new threads - doh!!) Exciting stuff..... now it's actually becoming a real possibility.... all the family know our plans and are being very supportive which is great! Just hoping the house sells for a good price and all goes smoothly with our visas e.t.c. Becky x
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Right simple

Here are the certificates they will be looking for
City and Guilds of London Institute - Level 2 Certificate
*Ordinary or Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering
*City and Guilds Full Technological Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrician's Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrical Technician's Part 1 Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrical Technicians Part 2 Certificate in Electrical Power Equipment
*City and Guilds Electrical and Electronic Craft Studies Part 2
*City and Guilds Electrical Installation Course 2360 Part 2
*City and Guilds Certificate in Electrical Installation Competencies

Once they have that, he'll have to sit a couple of assessments/examinations. He'll have to pass the 3rd stage of the practical assessment or examination, pass the regulations examination, have documents to show a minimum of 4 years experience (this can include periods of training and apprenticeships) and lastly complete the safety instruction requirements

It's basically just proving to the regulators that you will be a valuable asset to the country. As he's got 10 years experience, this shouldn't be a problem. The exams and assessments shouldn't cause any concern

I believe the EWRB will get in touch to arrange a date and location where he'll sit the assessments and exams.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, we've got all his certificates copied and certified, but were wondering how detailed his evidence of work experience has to be.... any idea?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:27 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Christchurch is my hometown. I have lived in Uk and now back in Nz. I would advise that you need to be aware that the cost of living is more over here and rents/houses are very hard to come by now in the chch area so have gone up in price since before the quakes - landlords are increasing the rents. There was a tv show last night about a nz family with an autistic boy who could not find a rental while their house was being fixed, so had no choice but to rent a caravan and the temps are below freezing at night so they were worried about his health.
Also you must be sure that what you earn is high to cover living costs; the kiwi dollar is getting weaker so as we are paying world prices for everything, the costs for imports such as petrol and food will increase even more: be aware that if you come to NZ it will be hard for you to return to the uk without taking a massive hit to your savings.

In saying that, if you have lots of money, or no money at all anyway, then you have nothing to lose, good luck!

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jun 12th 2013 at 12:30 am.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:46 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Steve88
Thanks, we've got all his certificates copied and certified, but were wondering how detailed his evidence of work experience has to be.... any idea?
Start date
End date
Note what were his main day to day activities
If posssible, obtain signature and statement from employer

A bit like what gets put on a cv really, just it's better if some sort of statement gets included by the employers. I don't think its a necessity, but it does help
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

KevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really nice

Hi Guys,
You have worked very hard to get yourself into a property in the UK, if you did sell up and move and you hated NZ - you will have nothing at all. NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially the South Island. We have friends in Ashburton, and they have managed after a few years to get their own place - and seem happy. It isn't for everyone - why do you think there are so many kiwis in the UK? We emigrated in 2003, and returned home in 2011. We are starting again in the UK. It might cost thousands to go and see, but ask yourself if you would buy a car off the internet without looking at it. There are many people on this site who have succeeded in their move, but there are just as many who have left, or want to leave. Please do the trip, don't go for a holiday - look at the prices in the 2 supermarket chains, rentals, fuel, taxes and compare that to the wage you will earn and try and imagine the life you will have. If you do decide to go you will need certifying to work as an electrician (kiwis don't need to do that to work in the UK??) and until you get the certification you will need to be supervised - hence your pay will be a lot less. If you do go over have a look at some of the larger electrical companies. I did this and secured a job offer prior to emigrating - might help speed up the process. Sorry to go on, I wish you and your family every success in whatever you decide.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice..... we pretty much have our hearts set on emigrating to nz after a lot of research and decision making...... and have come to the conclusion that it may work/may not work for us but we are determined to give it our best shot!! Yes it is a bit of a worry financially but I suppose we have no way of knowing exactly what our expenditure is going to be until we get out there..... we are no strangers to roughing it a bit and keeping an eye on our pennies and we are aware that it will be a struggle in the short term..... we are hoping to time it right so that Steve can do his electrical training/exams soon after arrival..... in either November/June..... so hopefully he won't be on crap money for too long

We are hoping to rent for a couple of years before we decide to buy.... we will be keeping some of the money from the sale of the house over here incase we decide it's not for us and want to move back (also the exchange rate is pretty rubbish so hoping it may improve in time..!?) We have heard that places outside of the city are less expensive?? This would suit us better, and we don't mind commuting..... if anyone can recommend any places to look at/places to avoid considering we have 2 primary school age children that would be great

Last edited by Steve88; Jun 12th 2013 at 1:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.