Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:56 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Originally Posted by Synky
Silly autocorrect - meant to say notice!

Yeah I'm sure there are a lot of downsides to doing it this way.
Didnt mean to criticise we ended up with a couple of things having to happen out of sequence leading to leaps of faith but all good. Just wish we had done it sooner!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to the headline question I don't think any of us can actually answer it! It seems that you have your hearts set on emigrating (to NZ or elsewhere). Most of us here that have made the move would probably agree that we would not want to be sat in the UK, years from now, wondering what would have happened. For some people it's a huge success, for others it just doesn't work. For us, we sit somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes. I'm afraid you won't know if it is the right thing for you until you do it. Good luck.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:22 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Andy. I would have wondered (maybe ?) what it would have been like if we had stayed in Britain and not emigrated. Or, relocated as my kiwi husband likes to call it.

All it's confirmed to me is that NZ is as predictably 'pants' as I always knew it would be ! I don't find NZ to be that different than Britain, but plenty do. I thought I didn't like NZ, I've come to realise I probably just didn't like Auckland. It's got a big city vibe which is good but unless you can anchor yourself somewhere and get a life, it's pretty pointless. I still view Auckland as, 'ok to visit' (even better to leave) even now. Outside central Auckland it's just screeds and screeds of meaningless suburbs. Same as any other city I suppose. North Shore just means Sister in Law to me ! Nuff said.

You never know, it might just work I said to myself. I also didn't want to miss out should it have worked. Oh well, we seem to have cobbled something together. Does that mean it's worked ?

I'm still out of work and the rain is pouring down outside. Seems a long way to come just for that. I could claim unemployment benefit in Britain as an individual. Here in NZ it seems to be a different kettle of fish I believe.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 4th 2013 at 7:27 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice

Sorry to hear things aren't working out like you'd hoped.....sounds like it's a difficult time for you at the moment.....all the best for the future x
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DougandZoe
Hi Steve & Becky, I am a plumber who has moved to Timaru (2hours south of christchurch). We had been to NZ before but not to Timaru where I had managed to find a job. For me so far its the best move we've made. If you work hard which it sounds like you do then you will have no worries settling in. The work for me is a bit different and I imagine it would be for a sparky too but it wouldn't take long to get in the flow.
Its a big decision to move to the other side of the world without being here first. As has been mentioned before it might be worth one of you coming over for a recce and if you can arrange to meet potential employers all the better. It can be very hard to secure a job when your not here!! Took me 15months from starting to getting here. The lifestyle for us was a big draw and the opportunity to bring our young kids up in what we feel is a better environment is fantastic. We've not been here long and yes there are the same problems you will find in the UK or anywhere but for us so far it has been the right move.
Sorry its not answered many of your questions but just wanted to say my bit and wish you good luck with your decision.
Hi DougandZoe,
Real nice to hear that things have worked out so well for you and you've settled in OK. Anyway I don't know if you can help but I've been trying to find out how much can a sparky (domestic/house-basher) expect to earn in or around Christchurch at the mo?
Alot of the jobs advertised simply say 'good rates of pay' etc. Some of the salaries/hourly rates I have seen are massively different! Its been my experience back here in the UK that what sparky's are ACTUALLY earning is often more than what is officially advertised, maybe its the same there?
I thought I'd ask a plumber as here in the UK they often earn similar to sparks. (We usually earn slightly more, but then we are worth slightly more!
cheers, Steve
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Snapshot I know exactly how you feel ! I too am sitting here still unable to find work and wondering what we are actually gaining from being here.

We did have a great (if very expensive and very hard work) couple of years on a 40 acre block which I know we could never have done in UK.

Still hoping to be away by early next year.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Steve88
g.... we did look into getting work to residence visa but have decided to go SMC as we think we have enough points to be in with a good chance even without job offer, and also means we will hopefully have a bit more freedom regarding jobs...(i.e. not having to stay with same employer for 2 years if not happy!!) Fingers crossed!
Yes. SMC would be the better way to go . Even if you gained a job offer SMC would still be the better way to go. How many points do you feel you would have?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. SMC would be the better way to go . Even if you gained a job offer SMC would still be the better way to go. How many points do you feel you would have?

We feel very lucky that we have this opportunity to "give it a go" although we still have a few concerns.... i.e. will we be able to survive on our income considering the cost of living....e.t.c.

Lots more researching to be done before making any final decisions methinks.......
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My OH is a time served plumber / gasfitter. We are not in Christchurch but up in the Nelson area. Been here over 8 years.
Trade wages up here vary from around $22 to maybe $28 ph for a fully qualified tradesman. Christchurch may offer a wee bit more.

Rates of pay are very much kept schtum here. Rates may vary from one employee to another even though they have the same quals and experience. The employer will want you at the cheapest rate he can get so don't be too shy to try for that extra $ when it comes to taking up employment.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
My OH is a time served plumber / gasfitter. We are not in Christchurch but up in the Nelson area. Been here over 8 years.
Trade wages up here vary from around $22 to maybe $28 ph for a fully qualified tradesman. Christchurch may offer a wee bit more.

Rates of pay are very much kept schtum here. Rates may vary from one employee to another even though they have the same quals and experience. The employer will want you at the cheapest rate he can get so don't be too shy to try for that extra $ when it comes to taking up employment.
Thanks for the insight, it always helps to have a realistic idea of what's what!! It may take me (Becky) a longer to find work initially so just trying to find out as much as possible to make sure we will be OK financially in the early days.....
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:00 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of points that you may or may not know:

You would need a job offer if you wanted to go for a WTR visa.

As a sparky you do need to be registered with the appropriate body, I believe it is one of those occupations where you cannot be registered fully without having a job offer in place and having worked in NZ. This does mean that if you apply under the SMC you will probably not get residency straight off. You are more likely to receive a Job Search Visa instead. This means you are issued with a 9m work visa and have up to 6m to arrive in NZ.
At least with 140pts it is an automatic draw from the pool
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
A couple of points that you may or may not know:

You would need a job offer if you wanted to go for a WTR visa.

As a sparky you do need to be registered with the appropriate body, I believe it is one of those occupations where you cannot be registered fully without having a job offer in place and having worked in NZ. This does mean that if you apply under the SMC you will probably not get residency straight off. You are more likely to receive a Job Search Visa instead. This means you are issued with a 9m work visa and have up to 6m to arrive in NZ.
At least with 140pts it is an automatic draw from the pool
It's a minefield this immigration lark isn't it!!? I thought I read somewhere that if your profession is on the Long term shortage list you may not need to be issued with a job search visa......
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Whatever we do will not be without it's risks...... but the way we see it is it will an adventure full of new experiences and challenges.....even if it doesn't work out!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve88
Whatever we do will not be without it's risks...... but the way we see it is it will an adventure full of new experiences and challenges.....even if it doesn't work out!
Thats probably the best way to think, i have a bad habit of overthinking things and worrying. Sounds like you've got a good attitude! Best of luck
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Thats probably the best way to think, i have a bad habit of overthinking things and worrying. Sounds like you've got a good attitude! Best of luck
Thanks, you too! I (Becky) don't think it's a bad thing to be concerned about certain issues.... (if you asked Steve he'd tell you I am the worst for worrying!) It's better to be in the know as much as possible before making any decisions..... It's a huge step to take and can feel quite daunting at times but it's something we've been thinking about for a long time but hopefully our reasons for going are enough to outweigh any downsides!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.