Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Right, we took the jump without visiting New Zealand at all. One of the biggest gambles we'd done

One year and one month on - it's been by far the best decision to migrate to Christchurch. So what if mother nature has her rumbles, everywhere in New Zealand is suspect to potential seismic activity. Auckland sits on a volcano which is not extinct!

I suggest you go on the christchurch thread wherever it is but be wary that there have been good and bad experiences of the city. The rumbles affected a lot of people here so you must have an open mind. Not everything is all hunky dory here - residents of Parklands for example will tell you that they're unhappy.

There is also a huge shake up in the schooling system which hasn't gone down well with Cantabrians. They're merging quite a few schools here leading some to have a good drive to get their kids to their schools.

Lastly as your profession is in construction - get here quickly. The Universities, Educational Institutions and firms here are doing everything they can to encourage youngsters and the unemployed to learn construction to help with the rebuild. It might not be for another year before we start seeing the results but there allegedly has been an increase in the number of New Zealanders studying construction to help.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
- residents of Parklands for example will tell you that they're unhappy.
We live in Parklands and don't want to be anywhere else in ChCh!

You do feel the aftershocks if they are out in the Bay and some of the roads are like a roller coaster but it suits us. However, we only rent - it's the house owners that might not be so happy, with the problems of owning property on TC3 land.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:23 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

We came without a pre-visit (of any kind, ever), came in early August and put the children straight into school.

We came with a job offer for OH and a bunch of (imperfect) research, best decision we ever made and wish we had done it earlier.

Came to Auckland/medical/IT though, no advice on Chch or construction though I am afraid.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

awolkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will fit in just fine in ChCh. It is a great centre for those who are into the outdoors - mountain biking on the Port Hills and Burwood forest - or walking - with kids, 90 minutes to Mt Hutt for the ski season, a super kayaking club (White Water club) several traping (trekking) clubs etc. There is a lso a strong counity of people with interests and work in conservation and the outdoors.

The schools are fine - having taught in NZ and the UK, I prefer the NZ system, curriculum and style of learning that is encouraged.

The UK pound is lower than in the past, but you stilll get 2$ per pound. Looking at that in relation to housing: the cost of a basic 3 bedroomed semi in an average southern UK town, will buy a very nice 3-4 bedroomed house in ChCh, with a good sized front and back garden, and a garage( double in some suburbs.)

Do take your time to look at which suburb you decide is best for you and the school you would prefer for your children. This could include looking at surrounding towns and the rural villages ( I like the small country schools.)

tie of move: if you move over the UK summer, your kids will have finished that yr of school. In NZ, that could mean starting haldway through the same yr, or missing the first half of the next UK equivelent. YOU will probably know how well your children learn, to know which to ask for.
If you move for the start of the NZ school year, expect your children to be in the same year group that they have just been in , the previous term in England.

There is no problem if you decide to keep the kids out of school for a month or so, to explore the country on arrival - it may give you a better picture if the country as a whole and also to be sure that it is ChCH that you want to go to. On the other hand, you may prefer to just get to ChCh, settle in there, and explore later during school holidays. Bon chance.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Hi, sorry for hijacking thread but I am in a similar situation to the OP, minus the caravan (fair play to you) and the kids (for the time being!).
Myself and my wife are considering a move to NZ but don't really know where to start. We were looking into Australia recently so I hope the process for an electrician to get recognised is easier in NZ!
I am a fully qualified electrician (having served my four year apprenticeship doing Industrial Installations in Ireland). I have one year's work experience in addition to this. Will I need to do any exams to be recognised in NZ? I also have a degree in Energy & Environmental Engineering.
My wife qualified as a Primary School Teacher last year and is currently full-time teaching in a school in Ireland. This is regarded as her DIP/probation year. We have heard that Primary School Teaching is not on the skill shortage list but that Early Childhood Education is, and that she might be able to do this. Will she have to do any exams in NZ?
Will we find it easy to get work in NZ? What locations should we consider? What are our visa options?
Sorry for all of the questions. We're really excited about emigrating but the whole process can be quite daunting! Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

awolkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

If your wife has the general teaching qualification, that does not qualify for Early Years (kindergarten) in NZ. However, she could perhaps get work in a daycare centre, and do additional training to qualify for EY. Or, it may be possible for her to add EY qualifications in the UK, before applying. I suggest she writes to the Teachers Registration Board to get up to date information.

At times, it seems that primary teachers are required , and recruited from overseas, for specific parts of the country. ( some rural areas, and some parts of AUckland.)
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:26 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

I think that if you are the kind of person that likes to live in places like Timaru or any of those small, simple isolated places then NZ is propabably for you. Living in NZ is really a totally different experience to living in the UK. Some people find the differences beneficial, such as fewer people and more open space. I do think you have to be totally prepared for the absolute basics that lie ahead of you though. Many things are much more expensive than the UK and wages much lower so once you are there it is difficult to just pack up and head back to civilization. This is partly a reason that Brits stay once they have arrived. I was working in the health care industry and I can honestly say that at least 50% of my work colleagues were looking at leaving NZ as soon as possible. Their main problem was that it would be difficult to move again with the children etc.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by awolkiwi
If your wife has the general teaching qualification, that does not qualify for Early Years (kindergarten) in NZ. However, she could perhaps get work in a daycare centre, and do additional training to qualify for EY. Or, it may be possible for her to add EY qualifications in the UK, before applying. I suggest she writes to the Teachers Registration Board to get up to date information.

At times, it seems that primary teachers are required , and recruited from overseas, for specific parts of the country. ( some rural areas, and some parts of AUckland.)
Really? I was under the impression that she would be qualified but may find it difficult to get work. She doesn't mind what age group she teaches as long as she is teaching and not just changing nappies.

We were hoping she'd get work in or near Christchurch, as that's where most of the electrical work is for me. She wouldn't mind subbing for a year until she gets established. Are there no Primary Teaching demand in ChCh?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikesurf
I think that if you are the kind of person that likes to live in places like Timaru or any of those small, simple isolated places then NZ is propabably for you. Living in NZ is really a totally different experience to living in the UK. Some people find the differences beneficial, such as fewer people and more open space. I do think you have to be totally prepared for the absolute basics that lie ahead of you though. Many things are much more expensive than the UK and wages much lower so once you are there it is difficult to just pack up and head back to civilization. This is partly a reason that Brits stay once they have arrived. I was working in the health care industry and I can honestly say that at least 50% of my work colleagues were looking at leaving NZ as soon as possible. Their main problem was that it would be difficult to move again with the children etc.
To be honest, we are looking to emigrate to a country where we can start a family with somewhat of a comfortably life. Since the economy crashed, Ireland cannot provide that for us. If it could, we'd stay.

Our first preference in Australia. If we are able to get through a torturous initial year, we should be able to build a really nice life for ourselves. But it's a big 'if'. The procedures required (and the cost of them) for an electrician to become fully recognised in Oz are unbelievable.

Obviously New Zealand is a very different place, and I think we'd take a bit longer to settle there as opposed to Oz. The lack of disposable income will probably limit our holidays back in Ireland. But NZ also has lots of advantages that will help us settle. We are giving it strong consideration because it's one of the few places that I'll be almost guaranteed work as soon as I arrive. For that reason alone, it's better than staying in Ireland. However, it won't be a runner if there's little or no chance of my wife getting teaching work near where I get work.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:00 pm
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

Good luck to you and I hope you get in to Australia though if not maybe settling in NZ will work for you.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lledlledlled
Obviously New Zealand is a very different place, and I think we'd take a bit longer to settle there as opposed to Oz.
Hi there - sorry to pick on one little bit on your posting but it jumped out at me. Why do you think it would be easier/quicker to settle in Australia over New Zealand? I'm quite curious with this as it seems to be a common misconception and not necessarily accurate. I haven't checked back to earlier posts etc, have you visited either country before?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Awolkiwi is right when she says overseas primary school qualified teachers are not eligible to teach at the kindergartens here. They need to be 0-5 years qualified.

Bear in mind schools in Christchurch are in the process of being merged/shut and 300 teachers lost their jobs after the earthquake due to falling roles, but I assume these will rise as the workforce increases again. Relieving is probably the most realistic option which may be pooled per area or down to individual schools. You will need to get yourself known.

This post includes a teacher's experiences of teaching in Christchurch http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769854

I qualified as a NZ primary teacher in October and so far I know 5 out of the 60 of us who graduated have jobs for next year. It's really tough which may not be what you want to hear but looking at other posts it's the same in nursing.

This website may help, although I assume you've probably already seen it:
http://www.teachnz.co.nz/teaching-in...rseas-trained/

Vacancies are advertised on edgazette.co.nz website.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
Hi there - sorry to pick on one little bit on your posting but it jumped out at me. Why do you think it would be easier/quicker to settle in Australia over New Zealand? I'm quite curious with this as it seems to be a common misconception and not necessarily accurate. I haven't checked back to earlier posts etc, have you visited either country before?
Hi,

Sorry if I caused offence by expressing a preference for Oz. I suppose I've formed an opinion out of what I've read so far. I may well settle better in NZ.

My wife lived in Sydney for 2.5 years about 10 years ago, during which time she travelled extensively around Australia (except WA). Neither of us have ever been to NZ but we've heard nothing but positive stories from friends of ours who were there. Indeed anything I've read has been positive too, regarding scenery, friendly people, relaxed way of life, healthy child-friendly country. As well as that, I would expect to find electrical work pretty easily in ChCh.

However, I have major concerns regarding the cost of living relative to expected earnings, not to mention the difficulty of my wife finding teaching work anywhere near where I'll find electrical work. We have struggled big time for the last few years now and are tired of being told to ride out the storm and things will improve. If we are to move to the far side of the planet, we would like a bit of spare change in our pockets at the end of a week's work. Ideally we would like to fly home to Ireland every Christmas to visit our families, at least while our parents are still alive. I'm not sure this would be possible on the disposable income we'd have in NZ. I think we'd grow to love the slower pace of life but I'm afraid this one gripe conquers all of NZ's advantages over Oz.

Having said that, if the process of getting into Oz turns out to be impossible, at least we'd be able to live a more comfortable life in NZ than in Ireland so it remains an option. One that might well work out for the best.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MOSO
Awolkiwi is right when she says overseas primary school qualified teachers are not eligible to teach at the kindergartens here. They need to be 0-5 years qualified.

Bear in mind schools in Christchurch are in the process of being merged/shut and 300 teachers lost their jobs after the earthquake due to falling roles, but I assume these will rise as the workforce increases again. Relieving is probably the most realistic option which may be pooled per area or down to individual schools. You will need to get yourself known.

This post includes a teacher's experiences of teaching in Christchurch http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769854

I qualified as a NZ primary teacher in October and so far I know 5 out of the 60 of us who graduated have jobs for next year. It's really tough which may not be what you want to hear but looking at other posts it's the same in nursing.

This website may help, although I assume you've probably already seen it:
http://www.teachnz.co.nz/teaching-in...rseas-trained/

Vacancies are advertised on edgazette.co.nz website.
Wow, job prospects for my wife look very bleak then, at least anywhere close to where I'd get work. Do you think she'd get 4 to 5 days per week relief work? She'd be willing to drive within an hour of ChCh or wherever I am.

Thanks for the links. I'll add them to the ever-growing list of jobs sites in my favourites!

I hope you were one of the 5 who got work and if not best of luck with the search.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Nope not me.....still applying and hoping but not even an interview so far....

I think I'll be joining the merry band of the local relieving pool!

I wish you luck in your decision. It's not an easy one, but if you're the main breadwinner and your wife can find relieving work at least to start with that'll help, but as I said earlier I wouldn't count on her salary to be constant especially at the beginning of the year when the schools have just gone back. She should approach all the schools she can and needs to find out how the relieving system works down there - whether it's pooled amongst a group of schools or whether individual schools hire relievers.

Last edited by MOSO; Nov 27th 2012 at 9:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.