Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we consider emigrating to NZ? (Hamilton)

Should we consider emigrating to NZ? (Hamilton)

Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:28 am
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice
Default Re: Should we consider emigrating to NZ? (Hamilton)

They did say they were going to Hamilton NOT Auckland
Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:24 am

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by K9s
They did say they were going to Hamilton NOT Auckland
Seems to be a bit of an issue going on here guys?

I think people realised that they were going to Hamilton and not Auckland, but tried to put it in perspective that you would probably get more for your money in Hamilton rather than Auckland which typically is more expensive to live.

So, the best bet would be to look at some estate agents websites to get an idea of price and then go from there - for an example try http://www.harcourts.co.nz/.

Then checkout what (if any) mortgage you'll need and how much it will cost.

I've just had a quick look at the houses in the Hamilton area (even four bedroom ones) and you shouldn't have much trouble getting a house to buy outright Looks like a reasonable priced area as well but you will have to check out from someone else what their opinion is of Hamilton.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=K9s]
Originally Posted by newkiwi
Hi
The salary you are talking about will give you around $1000 pw, im not sure what the situation is with family allowances (we dont have any children). Thats about $4000 per month, compared to your GBP 2100. With GBP180k to put towards a mortgage you will have a pretty small mortgage living in Hamilton and surrounds, you may even be just about mortgage free, which will make your money go a long way further.

Newkiwi

I do not understand it when you say "GBP180k to put towards a mortgage you will have a pretty small mortgage living in Hamilton and surrounds, you may even be just about mortgage free"

Are you saying that £180,000 which is $453,000,which is £18,000 short of 1/2 million dollars is not enough money to buy a nice house outright in Hamilton ???????????????????

Also $4000 per month on food and bills e.t.c seems plenty to me, perhaps you can enlighten me!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

K9
Yep, youre right........you should be able to find something for that sort of money outright, depends on what youre looking for.... Im not a hamilton realestate agent

And with little or no mortage $1000 pw goes a long way further. A lot of ppl survive on less and still pay money towards rent or a mortgage.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:48 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Should we consider emigrating to NZ? (Hamilton)

I'd be really interested in what you guys think about letting a house in UK and going to NZ, all my relatives now live in NZ so I guess it must be a pretty cool place to settle and we're planning on doing the same when I have finished my degree in 2 years

Only thing is we cant decide whether just to sell up and go or let here. By the time we go we'd be almost mortgage free so were wondering would it be good to let and get uk pounds as income, if so how much are we gonna lose in tax in UK and NZ, or just sell up? We'd be looking for a 4 bed house, preferably outside Auckland, on North Island if poss, and our situation is that hubby fits skills shortage in IT skills category so go under skilled migrant cat and last time we checked points we had about 165 due to all the rellies being there, any advice or thoughts welcome, Pam