Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we come to Auckland for a week before deciding?

Should we come to Auckland for a week before deciding?

Old May 29th 2013, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

bdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to all
Default Should we come to Auckland for a week before deciding?

Wondering if anyone thinks it is worth coming to Auckland for a week before accepting a job offer there, is a week enough, would we not get a good enough idea? It is an expense we can do without but at least we wouldn't be completely blind! AAAhhh don't know what to do and need to make the decision quickly!!
Old May 29th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we come to Auckland for a week before deciding?

Originally Posted by bdglm3
Wondering if anyone thinks it is worth coming to Auckland for a week before accepting a job offer there, is a week enough, would we not get a good enough idea? It is an expense we can do without but at least we wouldn't be completely blind! AAAhhh don't know what to do and need to make the decision quickly!!
I expect many will say it's not enough time to make a decision, you'd be in holiday mode etc etc. My OH said he knew within days of visiting NZ that he wanted to live there. I've been visiting for the last 18 years and I probably would still be told I won't know til I actually 'live it'.
So..after the waffle..you're going to have to make up your own mind! If you think it'll help then do it! If you're thinking you're going to do it anyway save your money for the move.
Good luck with your decision either way x
Old May 29th 2013, 8:12 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as said no don't think a week is long enough. you won't get to see much as you'll be just getting over the jet lag and having to return again.
Old May 29th 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I guess people are very different. I would now say that a visit (even for a week) would have helped me to decide. I arrived in NZ without having visited before and I immediately new that I do not want to live here. I thought, well give it time, it will get better....and yes it did get better but I still don't want to live here.
With regards to expensive....good, better get used to travel being really expensive. Consider how much it will cost to go and visit your family back home! If you are not able to save money you will be stuck on this island.
Old May 29th 2013, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Kin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to all

I think you should save your money if you can only manage a week - it wouldn't be long enough for most people to make an informed decision. If you've already decided to live in NZ I'd just go ahead, but make sure you have enough funds to return just in case its not for you. If it is for you, you'll have some extra cash.
Old May 29th 2013, 10:19 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think a week is long enough. You'll get jet lag and be too knackered to do anything. I suggest putting the money you would have spent on the trip in the bank and keep it there as emergency money. If you live here and hate it, you can then get on the next plane back after giving it a good year or two. If you love it, then you can afford a nice holiday home for Christmas.
Old May 29th 2013, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you should come for a week to check it out as often you can get an idea of what it will be like by initially visiting a place. However A wise person once told me that it takes a year to get to know a place properly and make your mind up on whether or not you like living there. When I first moved to Auckland I "hated" it, the traffic, rainy weather and not knowing anyone, but absolutely loved my job and the people I worked with so I stayed. After one year I really loved Auckland as well and found the shops, and areas I liked etc. It has a nice harbour and viaduct area with lots of cafes and restaurants so if you are a foodie or love wine etc it is quite good. So If I were you I would be looking at your job as the main reason to move or not - like how much you will be paid compared to cost of living etc rather than the city itself if you know what I mean. House prices are the biggest bugbear at the moment and are selling at inflated prices as the demand far exceeds the supply but maybe you would only want to rent initially. Look at www.trademe.co.nz or www.realestate.co.nz to get an idea.
You can look at photos of Auckland on the internet as well to get an idea of what it looks like.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; May 29th 2013 at 11:05 pm.
Old May 29th 2013, 10:52 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I don't think a week is long enough. You'll get jet lag and be too knackered to do anything. I suggest putting the money you would have spent on the trip in the bank and keep it there as emergency money. If you live here and hate it, you can then get on the next plane back after giving it a good year or two. If you love it, then you can afford a nice holiday home for Christmas.
Agreed. Sorry to be blunt but don't waste your money for just a week in Auckland. You won't end up wishing you had come for a, 'look see' if it turns out not to be for you. You'll end up thinking, 'shouldn't have done that, a week isn't long enough.' You will still have to do that journey again should you decide to relocate to Auckland after a week's look around.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Auckland without having visited NZ before! We did some research as to things that would be familiar - ie the kids of activities the kids were into at the time, and based our location on that, we needed to start somewhere as we had no idea. They were into ice skating/hockey and with two ice rinks in Auckland we decided to head to east Auckland. We're still here 5 years (nearly) later and bought a house here 3 years ago

Hubby had a job offer in Wellington too, but with no ice rink we decided to go for Auckland
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

I would say no purely because of the flight, we arrived Wednesday and after a 24hr flight, 40hr journey, 3 days later I still feel like s**t due to jet lag. The thought of doing that journey again in 4 days time would fill me with dread
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:28 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

And the thought of being a JAFA for a week, that's enough to put anyone off lol

Come see the real NZ South Island , a week down here would make you want to live here .
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Visiting a place and working there are entirely different things. I'd say it would be a waste of money to come for a week or even a few weeks. If you are determined to come then simply decide how long you are going to stay and get on with it.

When we first arrived not having been in NZ before, I must say, it was a bit of a shock. That was because we have lived in quite a few places overseas and expected more from NZ. However, a visit before you come out will not really tell you much about living and working here.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point

Excluding travel, I spent a week in NZ before moving here. To be honest I'd already made my mind up I was moving, it was my boss who insisted on a visit to meet my future colleagues, see the workplace etc. it was a big expense I could have done without. But, I did spend a few good days wandering around Auckland, checking rental prices, supermarket prices etc. I squeezed in a weekend trip to Raglan and a stay in a bach, jet lag wasn't too bad.
No, it wouldn't be enough time to make a decision, but for me it just confirmed I wanted to move and reassured me that I'd fit in at work.

I guess only you know what's right as others have said.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Linbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura about

We originally came over for 2 weeks with children and toured north island as far as warkworth then down to South island as far as Christchurch (pre major earthquake) as that's where we had interviews. Originally interested in Bay of plenty and so glad we visited first as didn't like it at all. Decided on Hibiscus Coast and 2 years later couldn't be happier all family members settled. 1 week not really enough to do a quick tour of main areas but will give you a feel for a place.
or just go for it and as stated stick the holiday money safely away in case emergency escape route is required.
good luck
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
And the thought of being a JAFA for a week, that's enough to put anyone off lol

Come see the real NZ South Island , a week down here would make you want to live here .

As before. As far as I know, you haven't lived in Auckland nor spent much time there.
Neither have I, so am not placed to comment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.