Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go?

Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:00 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Oye, can we get back to the OP
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by martyc
I don't recognize the UK you are talking of, and I have lived here for the best part of 47 years.
However you may have just been born in 1966 . Not a fledgling adult . The 60's was a time of change for a certain age group. Many wanted to bust out of what was really still tight Victorian type constraints. Many of my friends older brothers and sisters left for a 'new world'. The two lads next door to me both went to Australia . Two doors down the daughter left for America.

Had I been a few years older & if not for a wretched RTA a bit later on in the early 70's , that could have been me .
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

I'm going back on topic.

We first emigrated to Nelson in 2008 and spent 18m where everything went wrong. At the time I had 2 small children. Basically lots of bad stuff happened, and I became homesick and in the end, pregnant with twins, threw all my toys out of the cot and we went home to Yorkshire.

Pauses. Ah... Yorkshire.

We spent three years trying to get back in, but did more research, got work first, and ensured that life would be the way we BOTH wanted it. At the last minute, when the house was sold and the bags were packed and hubby had the call about the start date, I panicked and didn't want to come. I always say it was like a runaway train. I was nervous as hell, but we'd just gone too far.

Now, we're flat broke, but very happy. I agree with what someone else said about having the right attitude to stuff and just getting on with it. Yep, I miss stuff, but I also find new stuff I like just as much. And whenever I think I miss the UK, I remember that I could never have given my children this much freedom and space back there.

On the education front, I worried bit at first, but my (four) children are happier and have a more rounded education. I think it's good for them, and my husband the Kiwi has far better academic results than I do.

It's not for everyone, but it is for me. It's not perfect, but nowhere is. It is my life now, and I like it.

(Though a small corner of Aotearoa will be forever Yorkshire.)
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
I have to agree with you on the subject of the schooling Im afraid. We did our research as everyone does and thought everything would be fine.
It wasn't and whilst I don't think hrs of homework etc is needed I did get fed up with the childish behavior and lack of teaching.
In the end is was decided it was two great a risk and we returned home last year. If we return it will be when schooling is finished.
Tend to agree. It's the 'she'll be right attitude'.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caryatid
Tend to agree. It's the 'she'll be right attitude'.
Your right and it soon wears very thin.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:31 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Your right and it soon wears very thin.
Agree with you. It doesnt help anyone at all.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kitti
I'm going back on topic.

We first emigrated to Nelson in 2008 and spent 18m where everything went wrong. At the time I had 2 small children. Basically lots of bad stuff happened, and I became homesick and in the end, pregnant with twins, threw all my toys out of the cot and we went home to Yorkshire.

Pauses. Ah... Yorkshire.

We spent three years trying to get back in, but did more research, got work first, and ensured that life would be the way we BOTH wanted it. At the last minute, when the house was sold and the bags were packed and hubby had the call about the start date, I panicked and didn't want to come. I always say it was like a runaway train. I was nervous as hell, but we'd just gone too far.

Now, we're flat broke, but very happy. I agree with what someone else said about having the right attitude to stuff and just getting on with it. Yep, I miss stuff, but I also find new stuff I like just as much. And whenever I think I miss the UK, I remember that I could never have given my children this much freedom and space back there.

On the education front, I worried bit at first, but my (four) children are happier and have a more rounded education. I think it's good for them, and my husband the Kiwi has far better academic results than I do.

It's not for everyone, but it is for me. It's not perfect, but nowhere is. It is my life now, and I like it.

(Though a small corner of Aotearoa will be forever Yorkshire.)
Thank you for the on topic post. Helpful for the OP.