Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go?

Old Oct 17th 2013, 1:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go?

May I just say that I remember being that age & that as a 4 and 5 yr old I enjoyed learning to read, spell and write. Bit like I enjoyed trying to make nonsensical things out of bits of wood and cardboard or making sand pies at the beach. I loved learning to use numbers and tell the time.

Mind you, I was an odd child so my Mother thought.

Maybe the trick was that it may never have gone on so long where I became bored & restless or maybe it was just made fun. I don't know .
Old Oct 17th 2013, 1:17 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter has always been quite academic and could read, write and count before she started school. Having a child minder with an older child that used to run "schools" maybe the reason for that and the fact that her father is a bit of a geek. Son not so much but he could read a little, write and count to 100 before school. Bit of a walk from school to nursery along tree lined roads with a few house meant we spent the time reading house names, numbers and roads signs.

I know it's different way of learning over here, at the moment its not sitting very well, hopefully it works it way out.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Homework isn't necessarily a sign of good teaching. Maybe they are covering a lot in class. I think the kids get too much where we are. Actually, the value of very early academics is disputed.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 1:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just remembered that we had to be able to tie our own shoelaces when we started primary & to dress ourselves back from vests and knickers after keep fit time. Buttons being the troublesome things.
My , what a hard time as a kid.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just remembered that we had to be able to tie our own shoelaces when we started primary & to dress ourselves back from vests and knickers after keep fit time. Buttons being the troublesome things.
My , what a hard time as a kid.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I really disagree with this post. Your tone is a bit unpleasant and the way you have set up immigrants as either/or is kind of nonsensical.
There's nothing unpleasant about the tone of the post and I think the only ones who will find it so are the first group described in the post,
The rest will be just read it, shrug and ignore it, because it doesn't really bother them at all.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:56 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Homework isn't necessarily a sign of good teaching. Maybe they are covering a lot in class. I think the kids get too much where we are. Actually, the value of very early academics is disputed.
my daughter is complaining she is not learning anything so really don't think they are covering much in class
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
my daughter is complaining she is not learning anything so really don't think they are covering much in class
I have to agree with you on the subject of the schooling Im afraid. We did our research as everyone does and thought everything would be fine.
It wasn't and whilst I don't think hrs of homework etc is needed I did get fed up with the childish behavior and lack of teaching.
In the end is was decided it was two great a risk and we returned home last year. If we return it will be when schooling is finished.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:14 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Originally Posted by not2old
How did you come to the decision?
You know all free will is likely an illusion? There is no part of your brain that can defy the laws of physics, life is actually predestined but so chaotic we need a way to justify it's randomness, to feel in control. We are literally just along for the ride, destined to row the boat down the stream. Don't antagonise about a decision you will never make, sit back and get on with enjoying the ride of destiny.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:10 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
You know all free will is likely an illusion? There is no part of your brain that can defy the laws of physics, life is actually predestined but so chaotic we need a way to justify it's randomness, to feel in control. We are literally just along for the ride, destined to row the boat down the stream. Don't antagonise about a decision you will never make, sit back and get on with enjoying the ride of destiny.
the day you woke up & decided you needed to get in the boat was the first step, then your human instincts kicked in with the doubts of 'I wonder if I can row it, where will it take me, will it sink - if so will I need to swim or will someone rescue me'.

A ride to destiny - should I go or should I stay

If you are unable to venture out to take the first step & get in the boat, then you are likely just dreaming.

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

You can dream it or live it out - its one or the other, no middle ground, otherwise you will step off the jetty into deep water & sink.

Last edited by not2old; Oct 17th 2013 at 11:33 am.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. I've spent plenty of time antagonising over future events that never took place, it's human to fear the unknown but also to embrace it.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
That is a worry then.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:41 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
There's nothing unpleasant about the tone of the post and I think the only ones who will find it so are the first group described in the post,
The rest will be just read it, shrug and ignore it, because it doesn't really bother them at all.
sorry I can't agree with you here. I'm one of the ones in the group described in the post and I just shrugged it off. the thread was not intended for negative comments and so I read it, smiled and then moved on.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:21 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Haha, it's like Catch-22, my favourite book ever, so I'll let you off
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:23 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Agreed. "Better late than early"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.