British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Should I Stay or Go? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/should-i-stay-go-762910/)

CRBGLH Jun 26th 2012 9:17 am

Should I Stay or Go?

:confused:
hello again. I currently work in a school that i really do not like. I have a resident visa and was originally selected to apply for NZ without the job offer. The question i have is.....do i have to stay (or rather should i stay) in a job i don't like until i get another position (which could take years)! especially since i want to more near rotorua, OR should i leave at the end of term 4 and try and get relief work in the area i want to live in the hope i get something more permanent? please help :)

Thank you
Isabelle

ellenarosemary Jun 26th 2012 9:56 am

Re: Should I Stay or Go?

Personally I'd take the chance and move, but it all depends financially if you could afford to do it. As you say it could take a long time to secure a new job, Rotorua is lovely we are going near there too. Good luck

Jan n Neil Jun 26th 2012 6:44 pm

If you can afford it ? Do it theres nothing worse than a job you hate but plenty of people have to do it it,s taken me 3 years to find a job that i half like :)

Neil

Stormer999 Jun 26th 2012 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10140519)
If you can afford it ? Do it theres nothing worse than a job you hate but plenty of people have to do it it,s taken me 3 years to find a job that i half like :)

Neil

Strange......I never did find one!:(

Reylan Jun 26th 2012 7:20 pm

If you can afford it - go! Did you come here to be miserable in your work? Life is too short.

Tomsk Jun 26th 2012 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Reylan (Post 10140576)
If you can afford it - go! Did you come here to be miserable in your work? Life is too short.

I agree with Reylan, although I'm suspecting life would be quite a lot more miserable with neither work or income, so it does depend a bit on your financial security. I'm not a teacher so know very little about teaching jobs & availability. But I agree entirely that the Rotorua area is a good place to be!
What age group do you teach? I'm only asking because I know one of the high schools in a rural area outside Rotorua sometimes struggles to find teaching staff, although I think that's a bit subject dependent.
Good luck with your decision.

Miss Nic Jun 26th 2012 10:33 pm

Life is short, get gone :)

CRBGLH Jun 27th 2012 6:04 am

Hello everyone. Thank you for your replies. I currently work in a high school and was worried in case i don't find another job. We would be able to manage financially (only just) but obviously not half as much as with both of us in FTE. If i leave, i was hoping that i would be able to secure some teaching relief work until i get myself sorted out, or find the ideal place through relief work. And yes, you are so right, I am totally miserable in the school i am presently in. Don't get me wrong, i am truly grateful to be in a job (even though it doesn't sound like it)! but i'm not my jovial self - in fact, i'm nowhere near it.

Any ideas on how i would go about securing relief work would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Isabelle J

jmh Jun 27th 2012 7:47 am

I do believe people should not stay in jobs they hate - life is too short. Having said that the job market in teaching is pretty tight right now. I've written CV's for a few who have applied for many posts and not been successful. If your work background, history and quals are top notch and you teach in an area where there are shortages then fine. If these look weak, then be prepared to be poor for a while.

A tough decision. If you really are miserable then go. You say you will manage financially.

BEVS Jun 27th 2012 10:25 am

Erk. Really horrid but this is the day and age we are in.

Everyone says get gone. I say , try and hold out as long as you can. Being without money is awful . You may not enjoy this work but if you have no work and no money you will have a whole lot less options.

Whilst you are working , save this money whilst you are looking.

I agree, life is too short but life is a whole lot longer and more arduous when not much money is about.

Stormer999 Jun 27th 2012 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10141682)
Erk. Really horrid but this is the day and age we are in.

Everyone says get gone. I say , try and hold out as long as you can. Being without money is awful . You may not enjoy this work but if you have no work and no money you will have a whole lot less options.

Whilst you are working , save this money whilst you are looking.

I agree, life is too short but life is a whole lot longer and more arduous when not much money is about.

+1 :thumbup: Whats the old saying..."poverty comes through the door love goes out the window"

MrsFychan Jun 27th 2012 8:21 pm

not sure how far away you are from where you want to be but maybe just start the job hunting process now and see what pops up, least that way you are giving yourself the best possible position to be in and in the mean time you could be saving for the move.
As you say there are 2 off you does this mean the move won't affect your partners work?

Tan0410 Jun 28th 2012 7:17 am

Hi there guys,

Been some time since I've posted. Have been nipping on due to a current sponsorship application that we have in and needed to check something out. Then got sucked in:blink:

I am not a teacher but I know a few. Whilst I can really only speak for the Hamilton area, I am aware that education has taken a bit of hit lately. My friend recently told me that his wife has been trying to secure a new teaching position, and they are receiving as many as 100 applicants for a single post.

Personally I'd say tread cautiously right now.