Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I ship my car over?

Should I ship my car over?

Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:54 am
Ewan

ewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really nice
Default Should I ship my car over?

Hi there, We are due to move over to NZ in the next few months (if ITA goes ok) and I was originally going to sell my car in the uk and buy another one in NZ.
So I've been on trade me looking to see what my car is worth in NZ and was shocked (to say the least) to see simillar cars to mine going for 28000 dollars. It is a 1997 Mercedes E class avantgarde estate which I paid just over 2000 pounds for. The cars on trade me are in better condition as mine has some rust round the wheel arches but nothing that cant be fixed...especially if its going to be worth that kind of money.

Is it going to be worth all the hassle of shipping, re registering etc and are these the kind of prices people are paying for Mercs over there?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Ewan.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:27 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should I ship my car over?

Originally Posted by ewanainsworth
Hi there, We are due to move over to NZ in the next few months (if ITA goes ok) and I was originally going to sell my car in the uk and buy another one in NZ.
So I've been on trade me looking to see what my car is worth in NZ and was shocked (to say the least) to see simillar cars to mine going for 28000 dollars. It is a 1997 Mercedes E class avantgarde estate which I paid just over 2000 pounds for. The cars on trade me are in better condition as mine has some rust round the wheel arches but nothing that cant be fixed...especially if its going to be worth that kind of money.

Is it going to be worth all the hassle of shipping, re registering etc and are these the kind of prices people are paying for Mercs over there?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Ewan.
you have to keep the car for a while there before you can sell it - i think two years. It will cost you around $6000 to import it (approx £2500)

it breaks down like this

statement of complicance from manafacturer (not all cars need this - mainly the newer ones - there is a list somewhere on one of the official sites, someone else might knowit) approx $800
shipping approx $3400
MAF inspection $80
cleaning (my figures state compulsory but i'm not sure if this is true) approx $500
AA compliance check $400
a ubiqutous misc (why i didn't right down what it was i don't know but it must have been for something) approx $80
regisration and plates $230

as for whether cars sell at that price i have no idea - we are looking at a hybrid 'prius'? thing and a 2005 modlel costs about $23,000 or about the same for the same age Ford C-max. SO if it was us then we wouldn't buy a lot older car for more even if it was a merc - but then i have 3 kids and want to travel a bit and wouldn't take a merc on some of NZ roads.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:12 pm
Ewan

ewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really nice

Thanks for that Spid.
I'm thinking that I'll just sell it over here as I too wouldnt subject it to nz roads and I dont want to keep it over there. I certainly wouldnt pay that money for one over there either. It was just a surprise to me how much they are going for on trade me and if theres a chance of making a few bucks then I would have considered taking it, but if I need to keep it for 2 yrs then thats that idea down the pan.
Thanks again,
Ewan
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Spudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really nice

Ewan, I wouldn't bother bringing over your car. The car market here is rife with loads to choose from. There is loads to choose from on trade me, or through dealers. There are loads of Japanese imports too. Very good cars and 4x4's for much o cheapness. There are loads of MTA registered dealers here. (Motor Trade Assoc) who sell second hand vehicles with 80 point check's, warrant of fitness (MOT) and Road user charges (Tax Disc thingy). Also a Lemon check ( outstanding finance ) is around $80 i think.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Spudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really nice
Cool Re: Should I ship my car over?

Just changed my mind. Bring your car. Just pop to ASDA in Hamilton first and fill the boot with IRN BRU, GALAXY, Real Weetabix (Not Weetbix) and Seedless Robertsons Rasp Jam. Then Pop back to Merry Street and empty the entire display from Dalziel Bakers onto your back seat for me. 2 dozen decent roll's should suffice. Oh and a plain loaf. If you have time before you stick the car in a container, Nip down to the Off License next to the Joker pub on the Calder Road Mossend and get me a bottle of Bucky. No, then again , I'm af it. Just a bottle of Merrydown will do, and ten Bensons, and some black jacks and rhubarb and custards from the paper shop next door.

Happy days

Living the Dream.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I don't think it's worth it. Just too much paperwork, and secondhand cars are a reasonable price here, especially at auctions. We brought over a jeep when we first came out and we had to keep it for years before we could be allowed to resell it, and there was just too much paperwork and forms to make it really worthwhile. Nor worth it, especiallly as yours is only worth two grand.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 1:04 pm
Ewan

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure now that I'll just sell it before I come as weve enough to think about with getting our ITA sorted.
Made me laugh there spudgun, nice one.
Thanks again.
Cheers, Ewan.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:08 pm
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Spudgun
Just changed my mind. Bring your car. Just pop to ASDA in Hamilton first and fill the boot with IRN BRU, GALAXY, Real Weetabix (Not Weetbix) and Seedless Robertsons Rasp Jam. Then Pop back to Merry Street and empty the entire display from Dalziel Bakers onto your back seat for me. 2 dozen decent roll's should suffice. Oh and a plain loaf. If you have time before you stick the car in a container, Nip down to the Off License next to the Joker pub on the Calder Road Mossend and get me a bottle of Bucky. No, then again , I'm af it. Just a bottle of Merrydown will do, and ten Bensons, and some black jacks and rhubarb and custards from the paper shop next door.

Happy days

Living the Dream.
Hey spud gun

I'll apologise for my other half (ewan ainsworth) for not giving your shipping suggestion more thought! Sounds like a cunning plan
I too will miss a plain loaf & mothers pride tattie scones...not to mention Barrs American Cream Soda.
Sounds like you have much local knowledge, where did you live? Im a Newarthill lass.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

I was brought up in Mossend, went to Bellshill Academy. My folks and one of my brothers are still there. I however chose to join up at 17 and spent 22 years travelling the world and meeting interesting people by invading their countries. Transferred over to the NZ Military last year. Was sponsored all the way through immigration so I did'nt go through the strain that folk are going through on this site. There is a Scottish bakers in Auckland so I'm told. Never looked for it yet though. Did have some fine Tattie scones up at Waipu on New Years Day. Anyhoo, If you guys need any info on anything at all, feel free to ask. Im off to make pancakes.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Question-Do the UK councils still grit the roads, in winter, with a mixture of salt and sand?

If as I suspect they do--what you and every body else is doing is just driving your car at low tide at your local beach.

Leave it there--buy a NZ vehicle--you can get some good imports (and some right POS) but the Kiwi one in good nick is a safe bet.

BMW and Mercs seem to have dropped their prices to compete with the Jap influx
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy days

Living the Dream.
Oh, and can you add me in a couple bottles of Morgans Spiced Rum please
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Captain Morgans, now yer talking.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Captain Morgans, now yer talking.
Naw! You can get the normal old man stuff here, its the lovely Spiced variety you cant get...mmmm! Bet its great with L&P too!!!