Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I risk bringing the dog?

Should I risk bringing the dog?

Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Suzelah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I risk bringing the dog?

My husband has been offered an opportunity to work in New Zealand but we do not think we should bring thd family dog, a staffie.

Yes, it is expensive and will severely limit places we can rent but my greatest concern is the flight as our dog is petrified of loud noises like fireworks.

I've also read that brachycephalic dogs like staffies have breathing difficulties on airplanes that can prove fatal.

There's also the issue of kennelling and the various shots required (my family immigrated several times when I was younger and none of the dogs were the same afterwards).

Taking all that into account, I feel it would be selfish to subject our dog to it no matter how badly I don't want to give him up.

I want to make the right decision and am worried that I'm over thinking this. Has anybody immigrated from the UK to NZ with a staffie or similar type of dog and did they have any problems?
Old Jan 29th 2019, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I risk bringing the dog?

It is a dog. Find a new home for it.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Pets are not "just a dog"
I don't think I could leave NZ without taking mine with me.
Seek a vets advice about any issues or concerns you may have. Don't rely on Dr Google or rumours from others.
It will reduce your options for finding rental properties when you're here, but it doesn't make it impossible.
Beyond that I can't offer any other advice
Old Jan 30th 2019, 4:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Suzelah
My husband has been offered an opportunity to work in New Zealand but we do not think we should bring thd family dog, a staffie.

Yes, it is expensive and will severely limit places we can rent but my greatest concern is the flight as our dog is petrified of loud noises like fireworks.

I've also read that brachycephalic dogs like staffies have breathing difficulties on airplanes that can prove fatal.

There's also the issue of kennelling and the various shots required (my family immigrated several times when I was younger and none of the dogs were the same afterwards).

Taking all that into account, I feel it would be selfish to subject our dog to it no matter how badly I don't want to give him up.

I want to make the right decision and am worried that I'm over thinking this. Has anybody immigrated from the UK to NZ with a staffie or similar type of dog and did they have any problems?
Talk to Golden Arrow Pet Shippers . They have a very good reputation and will be able to advise as they export pets to NZ regularly.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 5:17 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your fur baby?
I had 2 dogs bother over 10 when we were in the process of moving over. We were looking at rehoming them both together, unfortunately before things got finalised one was killed by another dog so rehoming became just for the one.
He went to a lovely retired couple, who did a round trip of 11 hours to come and meet him. He had forests and beaches near and ended up being really pampered. They kept us updated for a year with a few photos and updates so in the end it was the best option for him.

I do think age is a factor as well as any medical issues they may have.
Also what visa would you be coming over on?
Old Jan 30th 2019, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Talk to Golden Arrow Pet Shippers . They have a very good reputation and will be able to advise as they export pets to NZ regularly.
We used golden arrow to bring our 2 labs over they were fantastic from start to finish
Old Jan 30th 2019, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
Seek a vets advice about any issues or concerns you may have. Don't rely on Dr Google or rumours from others.
Really good advice and don't know why I didn't think of it - thank you!

Edit: Thank you to everyone else too (there was probably a way to reply to all but I don't know how) - looks like Golden Arrow are on sabbatical but they may still be able to offer advice so will be contacting them too.

We hope to come over on a talent visa with view to residency after the initial 2 years - hubby is a continental lorry driver looking for a change of scenery.

Last edited by Suzelah; Jan 30th 2019 at 5:32 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 12:24 am
`

Originally Posted by Suzelah
Really good advice and don't know why I didn't think of it - thank you!

Edit: Thank you to everyone else too (there was probably a way to reply to all but I don't know how) - looks like Golden Arrow are on sabbatical but they may still be able to offer advice so will be contacting them too.

We hope to come over on a talent visa with view to residency after the initial 2 years - hubby is a continental lorry driver looking for a change of scenery.
Oh! Try Airpets or one of the other pet shippers instead then.

Please take a little care over your husband's job offer. HGV drivers are not seen as skilled here in NZ. He would need to be earning the correct salary to be eligible for residency under the work to residence visa policy. From memory I believe the base salary needs to be $55K.
I have know families have to go home because despite being in NZ on temp work visas ( accredited employer/talent) for several years they were never able to meet the criteria for residency.

Originally Posted by New Zealand Immigration
RW2 Residence instructions for holders of work visas granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) work instructions

Holders of visas granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) work instructions may be granted a residence class visa where:

they have held a work visa granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) work instructions for a period of at least 24 months; and
during the currency of that visa they have been employed in New Zealand throughout a period of 24 months:
by any accredited employer; or
by an employer(s) who is not an accredited employer, provided that during the period of that employment the conditions of the applicant's visa were varied to allow them to work for that employer(s) in line with E3.26.1(c) and (d); or
by any accredited employer, whose accreditation is rescinded or not renewed during the currency of that visa, provided the employment continued to meet the following requirements:
the base salary offered must be no less than the base salary that was required at the time the initial work visa application was made; and
the offer of employment must meet the requirements of WR1.10; and
employers must meet the requirements under W2.10.6 and W2.10.10; and
they have employment in New Zealand with a minimum base salary of NZ$55,000 per annum if the associated work to Residence visa application (WR1) was made on or after 28 July 2008 ; and
they hold full or provisional registration, if full or provisional registration is required to practice in the occupation in which they are employed; and
they meet health and character requirements (see A4 and A5).

Note:
~ Applicants under these instructions must be in New Zealand at the time they lodge their application for a residence class visa.
~ For the avoidance of doubt, the minimum base salary excludes employment-related allowances (for example overtime, tool or uniform allowances, medical insurance, accommodation).
~ Where an employee is to work more than 40 hours per week, the minimum base salary must be calculated on the basis of 40 hours work per week.
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Please take a little care over your husband's job offer. HGV drivers are not seen as skilled here in NZ. He would need to be earning the correct salary to be eligible for residency under the work to residence visa policy. From memory I believe the base salary needs to be $55K.
​​​​​​
I have know families have to go home because despite being in NZ on temp work visas ( accredited employer/talent) for several years they were never able to meet the criteria for residency.
I spoke with our vets who did some research and said our dog wasn't a good candidate to fly although we could risk it given how much he means to us BUT I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to him. I'm hoping to find him a good home.
That's a very good point about temp to residency criteria and something I was actually thinking about this morning. I'll double check, especially the bit about basing it on 40 hours a week as lorry drivers often make their money up working long hours (hubby currently does 1.5x more).
Thanks so much for the advice!
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If he's a truckie, you'd better get him a neck brace
He'll be coming home shacking his head so much at all the terrible driving down here, he'll need one
Old Feb 5th 2019, 6:19 am
Just Joined

TBailey is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had problems with Airpets, I have been charged additional airline fees on arrival and I cannot get a response from Airpets. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Mar 26th 2019, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Brambram is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to mention that we came to New Zealand last December 2018. We brought an extremely nervous dog and an old cat. We used Golden Arrow, they were fantastic. The dog although she obviously didn’t enjoy the experienced she coped amazingly well. Both animals have settled without any problems and are enjoying their new lives. Yes it is expensive but I could not have left them behind.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brambram
Just wanted to mention that we came to New Zealand last December 2018. We brought an extremely nervous dog and an old cat. We used Golden Arrow, they were fantastic. The dog although she obviously didn’t enjoy the experienced she coped amazingly well. Both animals have settled without any problems and are enjoying their new lives. Yes it is expensive but I could not have left them behind.
Thanks for taking the time to reply which has reminded me to update the thread. After much soul searching, it became clear to me that flying really wouldn't be fair on my dog. Our vet said he was the worse case he had ever seen and he wanted to drug him just in general. This was in spite of the numerous measures we had established for him (diet, exercise etc etc). It was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make but luckily we found him the perfect home. He didn't even look back and apparently has settled in extremely well. In this instance, I think even if we weren't going, it was the right call for various reasons. He will, of course, be in my heart forever.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 8:22 am
Just Joined

kevinweav is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a similar issue with our cat. Love him to bits and will really miss him, it will be gut wrenching to leave him but we just can't see him making the journey. He hates being in the car for even a few miles.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:48 am
`

Originally Posted by kevinweav
We have a similar issue with our cat. Love him to bits and will really miss him, it will be gut wrenching to leave him but we just can't see him making the journey. He hates being in the car for even a few miles.
It was the same with my Tyler. Utterly hated any car journey no matter how short.
He emigrated with us to New Zealand and lived a further wonderful 14 years . Still hated a car journey mind you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.