Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I move to Christchurch.

Should I move to Christchurch.

Old Jul 21st 2016, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Snashy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I move to Christchurch.

Hello and thank you in advance for any info given. Much appreciated! : )

So I'll keep it short....I've had a job offer for Christchurch and my biggest concern is money. I will be on about 70.000 nzd a year. Currently I live in Leeds,I am single so no ties. I've had a lifestyle so far in life and would like to keep that up....but I'm also at a time in my life where I fancy a new adventure. After 23 years working for the same company it went into administration. Luckily enough to have found a new job but also the seeds have been planted for something a bit different.

Any help? I know there's probably many factors but a rough idea would be helpful.

Thanks
Old Jul 21st 2016, 7:55 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move to Christchurch.

Being single, why not.
at todays exchange 70K equates to 37k in the UK. but you need to remember over here you pay tax on every cent earned so you take home would be roughly 64k after tax and before ACC levy and minimum of 3% kiwisaver (if you take it).

have a search through the posts on cost of living, rents, shopping, GP fees etc.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to sound stupid but surely tax is more than that? Take home pay can't be 64k? : /
Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tax calculator

Tax on $70K will be around $14K

Given your circumstances , what have you got to lose.

Go have an adventure . It doesn't have to be forever.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

If the above link doesn't work try this
PAYE Calculator | PAYE.net.nz

And to answer your question, Yes, Christchurch and Canterbury is the best part of NZ so you can't go wrong!!
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 4:48 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snashy
Sorry to sound stupid but surely tax is more than that? Take home pay can't be 64k? : /
ahh yes sorry $54000 roughly
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you people much appreciated.

The contract also mentions a level 1 medical insurance and I only have to work mon-wed (12 hr shifts). So far looking good. Now can I survive on 54k!
Also has anyone got any knowledge on the vehicle/ transport side. I'm thinking the cost of buying something in NZ will be more than the uk. I have a rather sexy Vw t5 that I'm tempted to ship over (plus I could fill it with some belongings). Now is it worth it or on anyone's experience?

Thanks again
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on the exchange rate.

Cars are quite cheap in NZ because there are loads of second hand cars shipped over from Japan.

It costs a bit to ship, but if the pound is weak then taking goods over is better than taking money.

There is someone considering importing a couple of camper vans because of the exchange rate. Cheap pound makes it worthwhile. Expensive pounds leaves you better off buying locally.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:10 pm

Thank you people much appreciated.

The contract also mentions a level 1 medical insurance and I only have to work mon-wed (12 hr shifts). So far looking good. Now can I survive on 54k!
Also has anyone got any knowledge on the vehicle/ transport side. I'm thinking the cost of buying something in NZ will be more than the uk. I have a rather sexy Vw t5 that I'm tempted to ship over (plus I could fill it with some belongings). Now is it worth it or on anyone's experience?

Thanks again
Not wise to fill car with belongings as upsets customs. As for surviving on 54k you would need to check out rents in the area and other costs of day to day living. Cost of gp visit, rubbish collection, food,household insurance, road tax, car registration, etc
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Not wise to fill car with belongings as upsets customs. As for surviving on 54k you would need to check out rents in the area and other costs of day to day living. Cost of gp visit, rubbish collection, food,household insurance, road tax, car registration, etc
Was that your experience of shipping? We have shipped a car and caravan with belongings inside and no issues with customs..
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Hello and thank you in advance for any info given. Much appreciated! : )

So I'll keep it short....I've had a job offer for Christchurch and my biggest concern is money. I will be on about 70.000 nzd a year. Currently I live in Leeds,I am single so no ties. I've had a lifestyle so far in life and would like to keep that up....but I'm also at a time in my life where I fancy a new adventure. After 23 years working for the same company it went into administration. Luckily enough to have found a new job but also the seeds have been planted for something a bit different.

Any help? I know there's probably many factors but a rough idea would be helpful.

Thanks
Not an expert at living here yet as we've only been in Chch for three weeks.

If you have a work visa for two years or more your doctor's fees are considerably less. If you are single on that wage, I would say you could have a reasonable standard of living here. Rent will probably be expensive if you are from Leeds. Depending on how many rooms you need, you can rent a new house (that will be warm, double glazing, dry!) For around $450/week. Probably less if you only require a two bed townhouse.
Location is all important on renting a house too, there are some dodgy areas where you would need a meth test on the house before moving in!!
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand
Not an expert at living here yet as we've only been in Chch for three weeks.

If you have a work visa for two years or more your doctor's fees are considerably less. If you are single on that wage, I would say you could have a reasonable standard of living here. Rent will probably be expensive if you are from Leeds. Depending on how many rooms you need, you can rent a new house (that will be warm, double glazing, dry!) For around $450/week. Probably less if you only require a two bed townhouse.
Location is all important on renting a house too, there are some dodgy areas where you would need a meth test on the house before moving in!!
And where would you suggest. Absolutely fine with 2 bedrooms. Or should I say where to avoid. The place of work is in rolleston I believe. Which looks a little far out. Being single somewhere where there is a little life would be good. But I also like character buildings if such.

Thanks again
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

And where would you suggest. Absolutely fine with 2 bedrooms. Or should I say where to avoid. The place of work is in rolleston I believe. Which looks a little far out. Being single somewhere where there is a little life would be good. But I also like character buildings if such.

Thanks again
I really like Sumner, by the sea, good people, tends to be popular with the Brits, so much so they call it 'Pomner'. Some nice pubs etc. The rent reflects its popularity.

Rolleston is a lovely area, LOTS of brand new houses built or being built there, however May be a little quiet.

As for where not to go, we thought about New Brighton, before we arrived in NZ. On arriving, we checked it out and well..it's not good.

Kiwis tend to say, the East side is rubbish (Linwood etc.) and the West is good. Obviously though, you will get some good places in a 'rubbish' address. You do need to check out the area well before you commit.

Oh, I also love Cashmere but it might be a bit far out.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again
Oh, and as for buildings with character, I wouldn't hold out much hope for those! I would value decent heating, no mould, no EQ damage (or fixed) over character - honestly, I have seen no homes with character as yet (God I hope I don't offend anyone on here!).
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Should I move to Christchurch.

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand
Oh, and as for buildings with character, I wouldn't hold out much hope for those! I would value decent heating, no mould, no EQ damage (or fixed) over character - honestly, I have seen no homes with character as yet (God I hope I don't offend anyone on here!).

No Victorian terrace houses then aha! God I hate new build houses too. Oh well can't have it all! I will look at the places you mentioned. Great help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.