Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I move to Christchurch.

Should I move to Christchurch.

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 2:01 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move to Christchurch.

Good old Victorian Terraced...solid walls, no cavity insulation, no damp course, narrow streets, nowhere to park....
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:38 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

youll get $2215 every 2 weeks after tax. youll be fine. its a good wage
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Snashy is an unknown quantity at this point

So roughly as I know it's hard but bills wise. Is it pretty much the same as the uk. I'm looking at 450pw rent I guess, maybe cheaper. So Elec,council,tax,water,gas,broadband,tv,road tax.....
I'm

Roughly how much? Against roughly and thank you.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a nurse and I earn about that. My take home pay at its lowest is 1800 odd and about 2300 at its highest if I hit all the weekends and nights etc.

If you rent here you don't pay council tax as that is incorporated into your rent. Rents in Christchurch are coming down - I am looking at moving out on my own and can get a one bed place for anything from $220-$450 as with anything you get what you pay for.

There are no water rates here either as its included in your rates (council tax - which as above is included in rent) and gas isn't piped in here so if you have it you pay by the bottle I think we paid $50 for a small one a couple of months ago and its lasted ages.

Our bills for our 3 bed flat are $99 for unlimited broadband and between $110-200 per month for power depending on how cold it is etc.

I am single and I take 8% Kiwisaver out my pay before I get it and also save about $500 on top of that and still find I have a decent amount to live on. I don't have a car and I don't drink alcohol but I have a good holiday every year, I go out to shows and the Rugby etc and eat out plenty. You should be fine.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Snashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
I'm a nurse and I earn about that. My take home pay at its lowest is 1800 odd and about 2300 at its highest if I hit all the weekends and nights etc.

If you rent here you don't pay council tax as that is incorporated into your rent. Rents in Christchurch are coming down - I am looking at moving out on my own and can get a one bed place for anything from $220-$450 as with anything you get what you pay for.

There are no water rates here either as its included in your rates (council tax - which as above is included in rent) and gas isn't piped in here so if you have it you pay by the bottle I think we paid $50 for a small one a couple of months ago and its lasted ages.

Our bills for our 3 bed flat are $99 for unlimited broadband and between $110-200 per month for power depending on how cold it is etc.

I am single and I take 8% Kiwisaver out my pay before I get it and also save about $500 on top of that and still find I have a decent amount to live on. I don't have a car and I don't drink alcohol but I have a good holiday every year, I go out to shows and the Rugby etc and eat out plenty. You should be fine.

Thank you very much. That's a great help. Looks like this could be a goer : )
Old Jul 24th 2016, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraNotts

Hi slightly off subject but can I ask what band your on out there I will have done 5 years in post grad by the time I get out there so am wandering would I transfer over to the nearest spine point
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
Hi slightly off subject but can I ask what band your on out there I will have done 5 years in post grad by the time I get out there so am wandering would I transfer over to the nearest spine point
They don't quite do banding the same way they do in the UK.

You start out as a new grad on about 50k a year and it goes up for every year post qualification until you get to your 5th year (where I am now) after that pay is relatively static but we do get regular small pay rises via the union.

When I came over to NZ the DHB I worked for credited my previous experience and I started at Step 2 and progressed to Step 3 on my anniversary date of working as a nurse.

You can find information on nursing pay via the NZNO MECA 2015-2017