Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I bring my car?

Should I bring my car?

Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:45 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I bring my car?

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
They have quoted costs of $500 to steam clean in NZ plus $800 for the warranty of fitness which would get the car registered and on the road with new number plates.
Ours was $265 to steam clean IIRC, $440 to Compliance/WoF then Rego/plates of IIRC again $470. We had $450 of brake work needed along the way too (new rear discs and pads and a siezed caliper to free off).
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:59 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Thanks guys I will book the car in to get the dics and pads checked and replace before we go.

What about tyre wear?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:00 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys I will book the car in to get the dics and pads checked and replace before we go.

What about tyre wear?
Dunno, ours had plenty of tread...
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:01 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ours was $265 to steam clean IIRC, $440 to Compliance/WoF then Rego/plates of IIRC again $470. We had $450 of brake work needed along the way too (new rear discs and pads and a siezed caliper to free off).
Thanks Simonsi

Those costs don't frighten me at all. I think they are pretty reasonable all in all.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:01 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

You only need something like 1.5mm across 3/4 of the tyre to pass a warrant.
You should see the state of tyres on a lot of NZ cars!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:02 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Simonsi I know your car was pretty new but did you have it valeted or steam cleaned this end or just leave it to have it done in NZ?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:03 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by RobClubley
You only need something like 1.5mm across 3/4 of the tyre to pass a warrant.
You should see the state of tyres on a lot of NZ cars!
Ha!
That made me laugh - why are we being so paranoid!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:06 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine steam cleaned in the UK by the shippers - they were so thorough they steamed off some of the lacquer

The car passed its MAF checks with no issues.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:30 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

What about tyre wear?
As Rob has said, 1.5mm (lower than the UK) but make sure that the speed ratings are within '2' of each other on the same axle. Also, replace the air filter and pollen filter, just in case they have seeds, grass and bugs in. Make sure the fuel filler cap is not a temporary one and the spare wheel is bolted to the floor, securely and has the sticker on it that normally comes with the space saver.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:09 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

In all honesty, and no offence, I really wouldn't bother. It's not a classic car, it's not like you can't replace it, like for like, here. With all the other things you have to tick off your "To Do" list ... why would you? Did you have a wonderful romantic interlude in it? Was a child conceived in it, and now walking round with the name Jazz? No .... sell it and buy something when you get here.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:36 am
It is what it is Member

On the other hand, (some, even many), people "wear" cars rather than just drive them so if you feel it will be bringing a part of your life with you then do. I know our girls appreciate that bit of familiarity and they are enjoying introducing "Rose" to her new home via various road trips around the North Island.

Cars are never just a financial matter.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:26 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
In all honesty, and no offence, I really wouldn't bother. It's not a classic car, it's not like you can't replace it, like for like, here. With all the other things you have to tick off your "To Do" list ... why would you? Did you have a wonderful romantic interlude in it? Was a child conceived in it, and now walking round with the name Jazz? No .... sell it and buy something when you get here.

LOL, I think it might be a guy thing. A car is a car is a car for me. Who cares?!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:35 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
LOL, I think it might be a guy thing. A car is a car is a car for me. Who cares?!
Ditto!.....and I am a bloke
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:27 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by jmh
Last person who tried to tell me that had paid extra for metallic paint
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:40 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Last person who tried to tell me that had paid extra for metallic paint
Well of course! The colour of the paint is the most important part of the car isn't it? Apart from the colour of the upholstery of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.