Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I ask for more?

Should I ask for more?

Old May 13th 2009, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

meu01136 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should I ask for more?

I've just been offered a job from the NZ Transport Agency which I've already decided to accept - can't wait to arrive in NZ!

Its for $56k/year and it will just be me (no family/girlfriend etc. to look after), but the location of my office has yet to be determined. If it turns out to be in Auckland (or anywhere else for that matter), will that be enough to live comfortably on?

I'm pretty careful with my money and not looking to live anywhere fancy, but I won't be arriving in NZ with much cash besides my new salary (about $10,000 in savings).

So what do you reckon? There's still time before I formally accept the job, should I ask for more? After all, I'll probably need to rent a furnished flat and may need to get a car..
Old May 13th 2009, 8:45 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Should I ask for more?

$56k on your own is "sweet as" in terms of living if your on your own . You'll probably want more later though, especially if you end up in Auckland .

Good luck, mate.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:33 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I ask for more?

Originally Posted by meu01136
I've just been offered a job from the NZ Transport Agency which I've already decided to accept - can't wait to arrive in NZ!

Its for $56k/year and it will just be me (no family/girlfriend etc. to look after), but the location of my office has yet to be determined. If it turns out to be in Auckland (or anywhere else for that matter), will that be enough to live comfortably on?

I'm pretty careful with my money and not looking to live anywhere fancy, but I won't be arriving in NZ with much cash besides my new salary (about $10,000 in savings).

So what do you reckon? There's still time before I formally accept the job, should I ask for more? After all, I'll probably need to rent a furnished flat and may need to get a car..
Plenty if its just you....

and word of advice ..stay single.... and enjoy
Old May 14th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good starting salary for what is probably quite a secure job.
$56k isn't loads, but if you share a house or get a small flat you should be OK. Going rate for flatshares seems to be around the $150pw mark - and an instant social circle.
Old May 14th 2009, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

On ya tod, you'll be living the high life!!
Old May 14th 2009, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you should ALWAYS ask for more! A trick for new players in the NZ workforce, it is almost expected that you will not accept the first offer and that you will ask for more. Imagine, if you can live quite happily on $56k, you would be ecstatic if they came up with an extra $2k. $2k goes along way towards a holiday or a trip home, so what do you have to lose by asking. They can only say no, that's the best we can do or okay how about $ xx.

Go on, dare ya! You might be surprised.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:20 am
Just Joined

meu01136 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Should I ask for more?

Thanks for the advice folks , given me plenty to think about. Should all things go according to plan, I should be arriving in NZ around September - I'll keep you posted..
Old May 17th 2009, 12:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa will you have? Temporary or permanent?
Old May 18th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meu01136

I'd say if they are willing to offer you 56k for a potential "out-of-Auckland" location, and then it turns out that it is indeed auckland, you will be well justified asking for more. That way you will be asking for more with a very good reason. Maybe try the same argument if it is wellington even, still relatively expensive in nz terms

You may also want to ask about relocation allowances.

No harm in asking, the worst that can happen is they say no... theyre not going to reduce your offer if u ask..lol

You WILL need to get a car

I think looking at flatsharing is a good option, under $200 a week gets you into a nice house in a nice suburb, you get to know ppl right away, house/ flatshares are usually already set up for wireless broadband, sky-tv etc.
Look on trademe.

56k is okish for auckland, if your single, but you will find your money goes a long way further if u dont have to fork out 350 a week for a furnished studio in the city centre with no car park....
Old May 21st 2009, 8:31 pm
Banned

manchaka is a jewel in the roughmanchaka is a jewel in the roughmanchaka is a jewel in the roughmanchaka is a jewel in the rough

ALWAYS ask for more and don't forget the:

1. Company car with enormous personal mileage allowance
2. Healthcare & dental plan for you & your spouse & dependents if & when you do get married and have lots of kids
3. Pension contributions
4. Relocation allowance (Esp if Akl, Welly or Chch)
5. Private school fees paid for up to 3 kids

Oh, and of course...

6. 48 weeks of the year off as holiday
7. Services of a personal masseuse/-eur (hey - it's OK - we're a progressive bunch!) during working hours for 30 mins every 2 hours working in front of the time-vampire (sorry, I meant computer.)

No, seriously NZD56k's a good wage for a singleton.... but like someone else said you'll probably want to increase that over time - rampant Worldwide deflation won't hurt your post-tax income at the moment - the only thing that might is your ability to travel abroad when planning holidays abroad due to the erratic and very volatile NZD on the international currency markets - travel to Oz is cheap though.... which is nice... just don't get drunk and go to sleep near a river/estuary up in the far North-East - one of the commonest forms of croc-attack apparently...

AM x