SHOPPING MALLS

Old Mar 31st 2016, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

tinalouie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SHOPPING MALLS

Is there anything like the Trafford Centre on the North Island for shopping and what is their equivalent to Argos so I can compare prices of electrical goods?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 6:51 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHOPPING MALLS

Yes there are shopping malls, we are not a third world country, although sometimes it feels like it. and I would say the nearest to Argos would be Briscoes or the Warehouse.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 6:51 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinalouie View Post
Is there anything like the Trafford Centre on the North Island for shopping and what is their equivalent to Argos so I can compare prices of electrical goods?
No nothing like the Trafford centre in NZ, need to go to Aussie for that kind of goo shopping. If you google westfield malls and have a look it will give you an idea of the malls here. Sylvia park in Auckland is i think the biggest, or maybe the new one out west, but it was rubbush when i visited recently. They compare in size to Stretford Arndale if you kniw that, but with better shops, but still not TC standards.

Nothing like Argos as such. Shopping is very different with shops selling everything under one roof. You could try the warehouse, cheap'sh, or Briscoes - always have sales on. For other electricals try harvey norman, noel leeming or 100% electrical.

Farmers is a general department store, very average though and smith & caugheys in Auckland is better. I still shop online as most UK shops ship here either free or minimal charge.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I think the biggest North of the North Island at the moment is The Base at Te Rapa, Hamilton. It's a big open plan designer retail park but nothing like the scale of the Trafford Centre. There's heaps of shops spread out over a wide area with many cafe's/bars/restaurants, a cinema etc etc.
Don't have anything like Argos but check out Briscoes, The Warehouse and K-Mart. For electrical goods have a look at Noel Leeming, Smiths City and Harvey Norman.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

tinalouie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, I know there must be things you miss from the UK but what nice things have you discovered over there that you would miss if you came back to UK tomorrow?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:00 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

When I went back to the UK for a visit a year after arriving my biggest thrill was visiting Westfield Stratford City which they say is one of the biggest shopping centres in Europe. In fact I went twice!!

The nearest in size I would say is in Sydney.

Sylvia Park isn't that big, but it's a nice mall - my SIL, who was out from London (and lives one tube stop from Stratford) went there and got some good bargains - she was happy.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:30 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I know there must be things you miss from the UK but what nice things have you discovered over there that you would miss if you came back to UK tomorrow?

Sorry to say this, but, nothing. It will be interesting to see what I miss, if anything, should we return to the UK.

I suspect I would miss the house just because it's home. Also, I know where everything is in the town where we live. That's also pretty much how I felt when we left the UK five years ago.

I know there will be things we will lose if we return to the UK.

Presently my husband walks to work, so no travel cost. There's less income tax to pay (by those who in paid employment) and no National Insurance to be paid.

I'm not doing yet another cost benefit analysis, however, I believe we are in or at least fast approaching, a financial dead end.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 2:20 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Well.

Entire population 4M so that isn't going to support centres on that scale of the Trafford Centre. So there are smaller shopping centres. You need to get your head around the population size, it drives a lot of the rest of NZ facilities in terms of scale.

The North Island takes 2 days to drive from top to bottom so of course there is a variety of shopping available in that distance.

Do you have NZ confused with a coral atol? ;-)
Old Apr 5th 2016, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I tool my kiwi wife to the trafford centre a couple of years ago
She simply could not comprehend what she was looking at, honestly she couldnt cope
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

After living here for ten years I can't cope with big shops and crowds of folks either - LOL

I remember being faced with six floors of shopping in David Jones store in Sydney and becoming quite overwhelmed and just walking away and getting on a bus so that I could sit down for a while, after having been around several floors to look for menswear only to find it was in fact in another building across the road. That one shop probably had more floor space than some entire shopping malls here.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
I tool my kiwi wife to the trafford centre a couple of years ago
She simply could not comprehend what she was looking at, honestly she couldnt cope
Ha Ha I can imagine how never experiencing something so huge can make it so overwhelming. Was a regular haunt of ours, especially of an evening. Do a bit of shopping, a couple of beers, a meal and the cinema
Remember nipping in from work on the way home one early evening just before Christmas Aaaarrrggghhh! That was a big mistake
Old Apr 5th 2016, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I remember one of my visits back to London and walking around Westfield in Stratford in absolute awe of the size, variety of shops, amount of people etc, that I too was overwhelmed. To think that I was a 'professional' weekend shopper before emigration!

NZ living teaches you to buy only the things you need, there's no time for wandering aimlessly round shops looking for tat to buy with money you don't have spare.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 3:56 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Some excellent wines at reasonable prices - I will certainly miss these. Coffee, the cafe culture is excellent too - or at least where I am it is!

I won't miss the limited choices of food/clothes.