British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   shopping at iceland comparison (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shopping-iceland-comparison-770561/)

tweetweet Sep 4th 2012 4:13 pm

shopping at iceland comparison

just bought these at iceland - how does this price compare to nz at moment?

400g frozen garlic and wine mussels (blue) - one pound fifty

four fillets of cod in bread frozen - 2 pounds!

had them last time and they were delicious.

scottishstacey Sep 4th 2012 5:27 pm

Re: shopping at iceland comparison

iceland is so cheap but i hardly ever go, too far away and i end up coming out with loads of rubbish which im trying to cut out!

dannigirl Sep 4th 2012 10:06 pm

Out of desperation I had to buy some mince at Iceland the other day. Now I am an average cook, but the mince was DISGUSTING. Never again. It was actually chewy.

I would rather chew my arm off than shop at Iceland.

Caz8NZ Sep 5th 2012 12:28 am

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10263522)
just bought these at iceland - how does this price compare to nz at moment?

400g frozen garlic and wine mussels (blue) - one pound fifty

four fillets of cod in bread frozen - 2 pounds!

had them last time and they were delicious.

i never shopped at Iceland in the UK and rarely buy frozen food so NZ suits me well as the quality here is particularly low for ready made stuff.

Forget frozen mussells - NZ greenshell fresh mussles are around $2-3 a kilo so that's 1-1.5 quid. very easy to make garlic and wine sauce - and the mussels are enourmous!
Cod is not a big fish over here - fresh taranaki (similar) is about $20-30 a kilo

BEVS Sep 5th 2012 3:02 am

I did actually bother to look but couldn't find any frozen mussels in New World which is the closest supermarket to me. I'm aware it may not be the cheapest and doesn't compare to Iceland.

Fresh , live green lip mussels = 3.89kg = 1.94 quid a kg
I agree , garlic/white wine sauce is easy to make & you get to drink the rest of the bottle :beer:

Frozen fish - I didn't do so well with a comparison for this either.

6 fillets of breaded Hoki $6.49= $4.33. = 4 for 2.15 quid?

Not my cup of tea as we either buy fresh fish or have fish and chips as a takeaway.

I did buy some fresh Blue Cod as a treat. $11 bucks for just 400g :ohmy: but it is rather yum.

Caz8NZ Sep 5th 2012 3:08 am

ah yes - forgot - hoki is the similar one to cod not taranaki. not a massive fish eater apart from salmon and mussels. i did have snapper for the first time ever at lunch on sunday and it was.........well ok......would cook it at home but wouldn't pay $30 for a meal out for it again! gimme a nice steak any day!

BEVS Sep 5th 2012 3:16 am

I only chose the Hoki as that was the first one to jump out at me. :p

We are sometimes given fresh caught snapper by someone we know and I have to say that , grateful as I am, it wouldn't be my choice of fish.

We sometimes go HERE Anatoki and catch our salmon and have it hot smoked there. We then scoff the lot with a picnic. :nod:

What I;d really love is some trout but am totally rubbish at catching the wily so-and-so's.

Caz8NZ Sep 5th 2012 3:22 am

Looks lovely bev. a little bit far from me though. and I shamefully admit i still haven't tried fishing - i'm waiting for someone with a boat to invite me out to try it!

simonsi Sep 5th 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10264458)
Looks lovely bev. a little bit far from me though. and I shamefully admit i still haven't tried fishing - i'm waiting for someone with a boat to invite me out to try it!

That can perhaps be arranged when the weather warms up a tad :thumbsup:

Bo-Jangles Sep 5th 2012 11:17 am

I can't afford to be that snobby since we stepped off the luxury planet and stooped to the depths of Pak n Save. :lol:

I certainly wouldn't be chewing my arm off since I found out that they not only sell but will deliver Greggs Sausage Rolls, Cheese and Onion Pasties along with the McCains Petit Pois, Heinz Baked Beans and Vienetta.

dannigirl Sep 5th 2012 1:27 pm

I'm only snobby about meat quality. I'm certainly no brand snob here - I have no real attachment to any particular brands. I will miss Ocado though.

skends Sep 5th 2012 8:13 pm

I go to Iceland very regular - many brand names are cheaper there.
I tend to shop where the offers are.

TommyLuck Sep 6th 2012 9:10 am

Iceland is largely useless for me as the vast majority of things I eat these days are fresh.

Doesn't mean I don't raid them for a Sara Lee cheesecake every now and again though ... :thumbup:

Bo-Jangles Sep 6th 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10266679)
Iceland is largely useless for me as the vast majority of things I eat these days are fresh.

Doesn't mean I don't raid them for a Sara Lee cheesecake every now and again though ... :thumbup:

You'll be pleased to know we have Sara Lee here too.

lardyl Sep 7th 2012 8:45 am

Originally Posted by dannigirl (Post 10265246)
..... I will miss Ocado though.

at times I've thought that I'd bite my own arm off ...
...if only Ocado would deliver to the Coast........:eek: