Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shopping for food in NZ...

Shopping for food in NZ...

Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shopping for food in NZ...

Is a great big fat rip off. Have just spent 8 weeks in the Uk and did my 1st shop today. I cannot believe this little tin pot country. Why don't we all revolt in some way?? There are 4 food companies, just 4 FFS. And they are all having it away at our expense. A sack of spuds $12.50. In the same shop in Nov 2010 it was just $9. And to boot as I mentioned a while back whilst still there all the food in the Uk my comparison has no shite in it. In NZ it is full of horrid things. One NZ fave biccy has 7 bad faces of ingredients from the E book I have. I must say if I knew now what I did not then I may well have chosen another country to live in.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shopping for food in NZ...

I never understand why shoppers in NZ buy Fruit and Veg (and even meats) from the supermarkets. (except on special/reduced)

I do a separate fruit/veg shop mostly at a Chinese/thai place opposite Pak n save just off wairau rd and make significant savings eg Milk $2.99 for 2L, 5 avocados for $2, bananas 1.69 upto 1.99 per kg....

I usually do my weekly shop at Pak n save -some items off the top of my head - sunny crust bread (various types) = $1.79 a loaf, Popcorn $1.06 a pop , 12 x yoghurts (Fresh n Fruity 100g) = $5.59. French loaves on special at 99c, Ham - 89c per 100g, Rice Krispies/cornflakes (sorry cant call em riccies- even got the kids saying it my way) I get on special when theyre about 2.50 for 500g. Usually get things like Muds n bugs/cheerios etc when they are something like 2 for $8 max and mix em with the rice krispies otherwise they're gone in a couiple of days

Cheese doesnt seem to go below $9.99 per kg (they do try to be sneeky and say "Only $7.99 ....for 700g"

Meat - I flit between mad butcher/aussie butcher/pak n save for specials. Generally only get chicken breasts with skin on for no more than $10,99 per kg, rump steak $9.99/kg,

Cant you tell who does ALL the shopping (apart from when the wife goes to new world for a tub of sour cream ...............and spends $50 )
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light

and I cant stand the bread. Awful stuff!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
Is a great big fat rip off. Have just spent 8 weeks in the Uk and did my 1st shop today. I cannot believe this little tin pot country. Why don't we all revolt in some way?? There are 4 food companies, just 4 FFS. And they are all having it away at our expense. A sack of spuds $12.50. In the same shop in Nov 2010 it was just $9. And to boot as I mentioned a while back whilst still there all the food in the Uk my comparison has no shite in it. In NZ it is full of horrid things. One NZ fave biccy has 7 bad faces of ingredients from the E book I have. I must say if I knew now what I did not then I may well have chosen another country to live in.
That is probably because Potatoes are cheaper in November and more expensive in January? remember the most of the fruit & veg here is seasonal (thank god). It's perfectly normal and nothing to do with being a rip off.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_...egetables.aspx
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seraphnina
and I cant stand the bread. Awful stuff!
What all the bread? you can't find one loaf you like?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

TBH . Neither can I.

For those of us that have been here some years - Have you noticed how much the costs have gone up? Flour & butter for starters. Not to mention petrol.

( I'm not interested in UK comparisons . I don't live there)
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Diesel has gone up 30c a litre in the 15 months we have been here, food is way overpriced but what ya gonna do it,s a monopoly innit

Neil
Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:04 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Most UK farmers would probably argue food in the UK is underpriced....and remember the common agricultural policy and its subsidies are still distorting the European food situation....
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Most UK farmers would probably argue food in the UK is underpriced....and remember the common agricultural policy and its subsidies are still distorting the European food situation....
Yeah this is a really good point, look how Tesco's and the like have squeezed farmers so hard, let alone the conditions the animals are kept in and the muck they are fed to get them growing as quickly as they can.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zaras dad
I never understand why shoppers in NZ buy Fruit and Veg (and even meats) from the supermarkets. (except on special/reduced)

I do a separate fruit/veg shop mostly at a Chinese/thai place opposite Pak n save just off wairau rd and make significant savings eg Milk $2.99 for 2L, 5 avocados for $2, bananas 1.69 upto 1.99 per kg....

I usually do my weekly shop at Pak n save -some items off the top of my head - sunny crust bread (various types) = $1.79 a loaf, Popcorn $1.06 a pop , 12 x yoghurts (Fresh n Fruity 100g) = $5.59. French loaves on special at 99c, Ham - 89c per 100g, Rice Krispies/cornflakes (sorry cant call em riccies- even got the kids saying it my way) I get on special when theyre about 2.50 for 500g. Usually get things like Muds n bugs/cheerios etc when they are something like 2 for $8 max and mix em with the rice krispies otherwise they're gone in a couiple of days

Cheese doesnt seem to go below $9.99 per kg (they do try to be sneeky and say "Only $7.99 ....for 700g"

Meat - I flit between mad butcher/aussie butcher/pak n save for specials. Generally only get chicken breasts with skin on for no more than $10,99 per kg, rump steak $9.99/kg,

Cant you tell who does ALL the shopping (apart from when the wife goes to new world for a tub of sour cream ...............and spends $50 )
don't think we do have any Chinese vege shops etc in Welly central. and also we don't have Pak'save here either. there's a butcher though. but who goes there frequently unless you are a red meat lover?
I live in town and the only option I can do is going to New World and Moor Wilson. (MW IS expensive as NW) but mostly Nw. yes, we do have sunday Chin market but you can't go there every weekend with variety reasons. generally veges are ridiculously expensive so I eat less. and I don't cook often either. think if I have kids then I probably have to feed them mostly rubbish. can't imagine buying organic or anything quality with average income (say less than 100 K a year). my Kiwi friend have two kids, and she always buys cheapest possible and can't afford high quality foods. (personally I refuse to be such POOR parents) well I am alone so I buy my foods mostly organic - muslie, dried foods, milk,. yoghurt and veges etc. and I rarely eat meat so it doesn't bother me. but I take 2 tablets of Omega 3 each day. Thats cheaper. than eating meat/seafoods every day. Meat IS BAD for you anyway. so why eat so much ? and complain ?

recently realize living in Nz is a so expensive game and knowing that it would be difficult to buy decent house, and eat decent foods with average income. so I feel having a family in NZ is a really bad idea. personally me thinks. like me I am single - I do live for myself - think its better. realistic. I can't imagine feeding my kids crap and crap clothings. I don't want.

one thing - booze is so so so expensive here. tonight thought about buying 6 packs of Tui. but its $14. Speights old dark $14 and 6 bottles of Monteiths $18 , 4 cans of Guiness $21 What the hell I can say? f*** so ended up not buying any beer and just went home. f*** the beer price so much gone up. a few years back, guiness was $14 and Monteiths was $12.

also banana is SO Expensive too. my breaky is coffee and banana. I just bought a piece of banana on my way home at NW and it was $86 C. make me rather upset though when I saw the receipt. expected less than 50 C.

and Cheese IS So expensive too. all I ever need is Mozzarella - I use it for everything and its over $13 for 500 G? sh*t....

2 L of milk is $ 5.50 - do you think its cheap? my friend who lives in Oxford (an academic librarian; works for Oxford university Press)- she just can't belieeeeeeeve the price of foods here.... I told her a frozen apple pie is about $8... she said Unbelievable. well She loves M& S foods/deserts and now she is happy living in UK. she just been to Norway recently and appreciated so much (foods are SO MUCH CHEAPER in UK!!) when she retuned to England. of course, she doesn't bother moving to NZ.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jan 27th 2011 at 9:56 am.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:01 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is a new topic.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11610359

This what you want.........
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
one thing - booze is so so so expensive here. tonight thought about buying 6 packs of Tui. but its $14. Speights old dark $14 and 6 bottles of Monteiths $18 , 4 cans of Guiness $21 What the hell I can say? f*** so ended up not buying any beer and just went home. f*** the beer price so much gone up. a few years back, guiness was $14 and Monteiths was $12.
Suggest you try Liquorland where Tui is $29 for 2 dozen.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:12 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Suggest you try Liquorland where Tui is $29 for 2 dozen.
http://www.liquorland.co.nz/Hot-Deals

Sounds too good to moan about.....

That Jacobs Creek is really cheap.......
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I agree food shopping can be expensive here, so I think we have to hunt out the deals a lot more in NZ such as those large meats packs in Paknsave or the deals in Liquorland which sound great.

Shopping in the centre of Wellington, Auckland, or any city for that matter is always more expensive due to high shop rents etc. I used to work in Regent Street London and prices in Tesco Express were extortionate. There is a PaknSave and Woolworths in Kilbirnie which is only a few mins drive or bus ride from the centre of Wellington, I'm sure they would be cheaper than New World by TePapa or Moore Wilson although their patisserie cakes are yummy!

Same with parking, if you park in TePapa car park it will cost $20 per day, park in the council car park next door (where the veggie market is on Sunday) it's only $10 per day and Victoria Street car park is only $4 at the weekend. You have to be astute with money in NZ!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:40 pm
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Just got back from London and yes we are being ripped off here in NZ by comparison. Even the once expensive Waitrose is now reasonably priced. Tescos beer prices were amazing - 18 quid for three boxes of most major brands including Budweiser which in New World is currently $30 for one box!! Cite Europe in France is now empty of English people, now the prices there are much dearer than England.
I buy my meat locally from certain farmers here and that works out much cheaper than NZ supermarkets. Shop for the same meat in N World, PaknSave or countdown and you get stung again.
Not everything was cheaper in the UK but generally speaking we are shafted here.
Upside of NZ supermarkets is of course that you are not queuing for 30 minutes at every till and at least kiwis smile when they take your money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.