Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shopping for food in NZ...

Shopping for food in NZ...

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Question Re: Shopping for food in NZ...

Originally Posted by zaras dad
I never understand why shoppers in NZ buy Fruit and Veg (and even meats) from the supermarkets. (except on special/reduced)

I do a separate fruit/veg shop mostly at a Chinese/thai place opposite Pak n save just off wairau rd and make significant savings eg Milk $2.99 for 2L, 5 avocados for $2, bananas 1.69 upto 1.99 per kg....

I usually do my weekly shop at Pak n save -some items off the top of my head - sunny crust bread (various types) = $1.79 a loaf, Popcorn $1.06 a pop , 12 x yoghurts (Fresh n Fruity 100g) = $5.59. French loaves on special at 99c, Ham - 89c per 100g, Rice Krispies/cornflakes (sorry cant call em riccies- even got the kids saying it my way) I get on special when theyre about 2.50 for 500g. Usually get things like Muds n bugs/cheerios etc when they are something like 2 for $8 max and mix em with the rice krispies otherwise they're gone in a couiple of days

Cheese doesnt seem to go below $9.99 per kg (they do try to be sneeky and say "Only $7.99 ....for 700g"

Meat - I flit between mad butcher/aussie butcher/pak n save for specials. Generally only get chicken breasts with skin on for no more than $10,99 per kg, rump steak $9.99/kg,

Cant you tell who does ALL the shopping (apart from when the wife goes to new world for a tub of sour cream ...............and spends $50 )
Are you saying the agri sector have not latched on to FARM SHOPS yet?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:16 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping for food in NZ...

Prices here from a recent grocery bill

2L orange juice $1.89
3L light milk $3.59
500g organic beef mince $6.99
Whole fresh chicken $6.05
500g organic pasta (dried) $2.69
500g sweet corn (frozen) $.249
can organic tomatoes $1.29
1 kg bag frozen mixed veg $1.59
1kg onions $1.99
Lettuce $2.49
4 pack 3ply toilet tissue long $3.99

I also go to an organic farmers market once a week.

Petrol to get there $1.26 this morning.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
3L light milk $3.59
I'd guess that was 2L as opposed to 3.

I get 2L for $2.99 Cow & Gate (No relation to the baby stuff). The must be a go it alone company
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:56 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

No, it was 3L. Remember these are Australian $ prices.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:58 am
Banned

But 500g sweet corn (frozen) $.249, should read $2.49
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

No, it was 3L. Remember these are Australian $ prices.
didnt notice you were in Oz. sorry
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:48 am
Banned

No problem, it's just as expensive here
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

but pineapple is really CHEAP there at least. when I lived there it was only 99C each. then I returned home and saw the price of pineapple...at NW. it was 5 bucks. still $ 5 here. . . well I love pineapple....
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

how much for a banana? always seem very expensive to me in Aus. in the land of bananas anyway they seem expensive.
Wherever I go in the world i always check the price of bananas, it gives me an indication of what everything else will cost.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by janek
how much for a banana? always seem very expensive to me in Aus. in the land of bananas anyway they seem expensive.
Wherever I go in the world i always check the price of bananas, it gives me an indication of what everything else will cost.
Really? When were you last in Oz out of interest
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:08 am
Banned

I don't often buy bananas, they go off so quickly in the heat that I usually end up having to make cakes out of them

Next time I see some I'll get a price for you.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

UK prices are certainly rising on some items (and petrol!!!) There still is the option of shopping at some of the lower quality supermarkets, but the quality of the produce is questionable.

A combination of the market, butchers and the supermarkets gets us through the week. In our opinion you have to eat and we choose to eat well so hey, sacrifices where due.

Until we are there and face a NZ shop we are doing alright with UK prices!!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:07 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article a couple of weeks ago in the Herald about how the price of food is going to shoot up this year - here's something from yesterday http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/high...conomy-4008690

It struck me last night that there's something fundamentally wrong with a world in which good healthy food is so much more expensive than the crap. Now I know what sparked Sir Bob
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really? When were you last in Oz out of interest
Yes really; Last Nov. you seem interested in my traveling, I try to avoid the place but it is neccessary sometimes, USA last August and UK the July before. Does that help?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm interested in everything, all the time, m'love.

Must be lovely to travel so very often. Not something most of us can do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.