British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shop closures on Good Friday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shop-closures-good-friday-855662/)

MrsFychan Apr 1st 2015 7:56 am

Shop closures on Good Friday

don't forget that most shops close on Good Friday and Easter Sunday

Bo-Jangles Apr 1st 2015 9:18 am

Re: Shop closures on Good Friday

Indeed they do and no doubt we have to cringe through yet another long weekend of teeth gnashing, radio phone ins and news coverage on the effects of shopping and the downfall of the nation. How we're all headed for damnation if we dare to be caught shopping over the Easter holidays and how we should curse those daredevil rebels that will stay open regardless of the fines and threaten the very core moral fibres and religious backbone of the country. Yawny, yawn, yawn!!

Fear not dear disciples that pray in the temples of retail; we at least have some hope and a little spark of progress - how excited are we to see New World now have one foot in the 1990s and are piloting online shopping in a few Wellington stores.

OMG I don't think I can cope with this rock and roll pace of life - we're so lucky to have rewound the clock and relive these amazing times of change a second time around! :rofl:

Online Shopping | New World Supermarket

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 1st 2015 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11608180)
Indeed they do and no doubt we have to cringe through yet another long weekend of teeth gnashing, radio phone ins and news coverage on the effects of shopping and the downfall of the nation. How we're all headed for damnation if we dare to be caught shopping over the Easter holidays and how we should curse those daredevil rebels that will stay open regardless of the fines and threaten the very core moral fibres and religious backbone of the country. Yawny, yawn, yawn!!

Fear not dear disciples that pray in the temples of retail; we at least have some hope and a little spark of progress - how excited are we to see New World now have one foot in the 1990s and are piloting online shopping in a few Wellington stores.

OMG I don't think I can cope with this rock and roll pace of life - we're so lucky to have rewound the clock and relive these amazing times of change a second time around! :rofl:

My goodness, New World really are pushing the boundaries of modern shopping. I think I need to sit down, I've come over all peculiar with the excitement.

Justcol Apr 1st 2015 6:01 pm

The worst thing is you can't NY any beer for the BBQ

McLeod Apr 1st 2015 7:06 pm

For some odd reason I always think people should be more concerned about kids being buggered in church, than with forcing other people who don't go to church to observe their rituals.

But hey, that's just me :)

Persephone Apr 1st 2015 8:39 pm

:thumbdown:Holiday surcharges. Just when you're more likely to go places and eat out.
I know they have to pay their workers more but does it really eat into their profit that much:unsure: Some places don't add it on and I'd expect they get extra custom because of it.

McLeod Apr 1st 2015 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11608732)
:thumbdown:Holiday surcharges. Just when you're more likely to go places and eat out.
I know they have to pay their workers more but does it really eat into their profit that much:unsure: Some places don't add it on and I'd expect they get extra custom because of it.

Smells like a conspiracy to me, force a holiday, then shops get to add surcharges...

Persephone Apr 1st 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by McLeod (Post 11608735)
Smells like a conspiracy to me, force a holiday, then shops get to add surcharges...

:lol:Happy to have a [paid] forced holiday...says the person who is on call for the next two days and nights, sigh.
But the surcharge is annoying especially when we're sometimes away from home...we're away because it is a holiday!

I wonder how much difference it makes: do people choose not to eat out because of the surcharge and so profits are down or average, do they have more customers anyway because it's a holiday and would make a profit even without the surcharge, are they raking it in or do those advertising no surcharge find people flock to them? And any other possible variations on the above theme;)

BEVS Apr 1st 2015 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11608606)
The worst thing is you can't buy any beer for the BBQ

You BBQ your beer?

Perhaps we should mull my wine but it will be too darn hot for that. It always is over Easter weekend.

Snap Shot Apr 1st 2015 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11608180)
a little spark of progress - how excited are we to see New World now have one foot in the 1990s and are piloting online shopping in a few Wellington stores.

I'd say sarcasm isn't your strong suit I know otherwise ! :goodpost:

PakNSave have got handbaskets now, oh yes, it's all going on in Wanganui. Part of a national roll out. Maybe that's their answer to New World trialling on line shopping & don't want to be caught napping !

The post offices er, I mean post shops now open at 9am not 8.30am. What about that ? Let's discuss the real issues Bo, lets talk about what's really going on.

Snap Shot Apr 1st 2015 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11608141)

Also the clocks go back one hour on Easter Sunday.

Chocoholics Apr 1st 2015 10:07 pm

and don't even get me started on that crazy law that prohibits the sale of alcohol unless you buy food to go with it on public holidays. Forget a trip for a nice Christmas or Easter drink before or after lunch - unless you BBQ your own beer of course. ;)

Charismatic Apr 1st 2015 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11608141)

Closed? Quickly, panic buy!

BEVS Apr 2nd 2015 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11608824)

I have been moved to stir my stumps & saunter out to the garage to take a quick peek thereabouts, in case I need to utilise our Four Square later on today.

The answer layeth in Mr BEVS hidden beer fridge.......

.... and breathe. :cool:

MrsFychan Apr 2nd 2015 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11608824)

The post is intended to let those that are new arrivals in NZ that unlike in the UK the shops shut. We were not told when we first arrived and found it very strange and at the time inconvenient