Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping from UK - NZ

Shipping from UK - NZ

Old Apr 26th 2015, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

RowenaH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping from UK - NZ

Hi there, I'm a newbie so forgive me if the thread I'm looking for is obvious and I've missed it somehow.

A little while ago I was looking for people's experiences with shipping firms and I'm sure there was a really useful survey on here showing how many people would recommend the firm they used to ship from UK to NZ.

I've had one surveyor from PSS come round and have Pickfords booked for a few weeks time, but really would like a third to compare and can't remember who else rated well.

Please could you direct me to the thread? I'm sure questions about shipping companies have been posted countless times! many thanks
Old Apr 26th 2015, 9:37 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK - NZ

looks like the search function is having a bit of a lazy day, will mention it to the techs.

From what I have read Crown is another but can't remember if good or not
Old Apr 30th 2015, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Neils45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used PSS around 2.5 years ago when I moved from the UK to Christchurch.

They were pretty good and pretty competitive.

Once in NZ it was handled by NZ VanLines who were also pretty good.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

RowenaH is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Shipping from UK - NZ

Thank you both, think I'll try and get a third quote from Crown & go from there. The estimator from PSS impressed me and we got what I thought was a good quote for shipping our 3 bed house and car, roughly £6K!
Old Apr 30th 2015, 7:31 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you need also to factor in shipping insurance.
lots on here have used Letton Percival, including myself so worth getting a quote from them as well as from the shipper
Old May 4th 2015, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by RowenaH
Thank you both, think I'll try and get a third quote from Crown & go from there. The estimator from PSS impressed me and we got what I thought was a good quote for shipping our 3 bed house and car, roughly £6K!
The car as well for 6k!?

I can't imagine the task of cleaning it to standard for the customs, getting it registered, WOF, etc on a uk car. That and the cost of shipping it.

But at that price I thought it wouldn't include the motor.

I might consider doing that too.
Old May 4th 2015, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently had a quotes around the £6k region for a 40ft container with all household goods plus small car. That doesn't include all the post arriving in NZ costs associated with the car though, just getting it there.

My serious problem is that I have equipment such as tractor, topper, roller etc for the smallholding and lots of gardening tools such as spades and forks. As you can imagine none of this is clean and rust free. To ship it over would cost around £5k but to replace it all over there would cost at least £22k. If we sold it all here we'd get around £6k so it seems a no brainer for shipping. However, I've been told that it must be 'as new' and rust free and that steam pressure cleaning plus a liberal scrub with Jeyes is not enough. I don't have time or energy to steam clean, disinfect, sand down and repaint every part of every piece of equipment which means a seriously nasty addition in moving expenses for us.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:48 pm

ours was around 6K (with insurance, 3 years ago) for a 40ft with the car in the same container. think it then was about $2K to get the car cleared through MAF, WOF and Rego.
we did make sure that we could get the parts here and luckily as its a Vauxhall its part of the Opal group which is part of Holden and Holden it fairly big over here, luckily as we had a front end shunt back in January and the whole of the front of the car had to be replace and the engine mounts realigned.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
ours was around 6K (with insurance, 3 years ago) for a 40ft with the car in the same container. think it then was about $2K to get the car cleared through MAF, WOF and Rego.
we did make sure that we could get the parts here and luckily as its a Vauxhall its part of the Opal group which is part of Holden and Holden it fairly big over here, luckily as we had a front end shunt back in January and the whole of the front of the car had to be replace and the engine mounts realigned.
I bet cleaning it to a point maf was happy was painful. Did you dunk the car in jeyes?

I drive a 2009 Mitsubishi outlander. They sell them in NZ, so parts should be fine.

Its only worth about £8 - £9k now though, so I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

Last edited by McLeod; May 4th 2015 at 8:09 pm.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:45 pm

not really just got a valet service in to power wash it before putting on the container. stuck photo's of it being done and the receipt in the car.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
not really just got a valet service in to power wash it before putting on the container. stuck photo's of it being done and the receipt in the car.

That's IT?

Ive seen them take bikes apart on "Border Patrol" because it had a bit of sand in the frame, a car has all kinds of dirt, leaves, twigs, insects and stuff in all its nooks and crannies.

It might be worth shipping mine, on its own its not really worth it. if it goes in with all the house stuff in the same container - then fair enough.

...back to studying, I need to ace this interview
Old May 7th 2015, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Coleyheb is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Anglo Pacific last year. I have good things to say about them and bad things too. I read quite a lot of feedback on shippers from feedback pages on the web and I think that they are all pretty good until something goes wrong, then they don't want to know. I'm not sure I trust them to be honest about things and I think the whole industry needs a shake up. My move was a little more complicated than most, but even so I thought there was a lot of room for improvement from the AP side, which they just don't really want to know about.
NZ Van Lines Nelson were the movers NZ side and they were brilliant. I watched them unload and reload my stuff at Nelson.
I'm a big outdoor action person and had loads of bikes, tents, hiking boots and equipment etc which I had spent a lot of time cleaning. I declared them all and was at Nelson to see the MAF inspection - which was pretty thorough, they inspected all declared boxes but didn't require anything to be sent away for further cleaning.
I used Letton Percival and wasn't as impressed with them as some on the forum. Their policy requires notification of damaged electrical items - such as Hi Fi etc within 3 days - that is unpacking, using adaptors, checking and communication - which I thought was a very tight dealine especially if you have lots of stuff - but they wouldn't relax the deadline for me. Thankfully I had none damaged. So read all the small print and clarify any issues with both the shipper and insurance.
I keep meaning to do a write up of my experience as I think there are a lot of potential pitfalls to be wary of. I think it is a case of fingers crossed everything turns up fine and dandy!
Old May 7th 2015, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

NoushTJ is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the process of finalising shipping company too. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. We have quotes from Doree Bonner, PSS and Robinsons. Cheers.
Old May 10th 2015, 4:16 am
Just Joined

thora is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I've recently been looking into it and I've had quotes from the following:
Pearson
Anglo Pacific
Whites and Co
Pickfords
Crown
I'm waiting on quotes so I can't tell you what they are like.
Good luck.