British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-uk-880071/)

thisnaturaljourney Jul 7th 2016 8:01 pm

Shipping from UK

Evening/Morning!

Today I had our first quote for shipping, nice guy, really informative.
We will probably be looking at a shared container as we don't plan to take all that much, largest items being our paddle boards ;)
Anyways... The company that popped by today was Doree Bonner International... has anyone used them?
Would like some feedback on experiences, any companies that were fab or any to avoid?
We also have White and Company, Britannia and Bournes coming to give us quotes.

Thanks in advance.

valleygurl Jul 9th 2016 5:15 am

Re: Shipping from UK

We shipped our stuff with crown relocations about 8 weeks ago and they have been excellent. They weren't the cheapest but did they did include maf inspection charges so worked out about the same!

MarineboyNZ Aug 4th 2016 12:15 am

Hi there. I went through this process 12 months ago and certainly Doree Bonner impressed. But I went with PSS in the end who were competitive and were exceptional. But I think it comes down to the “guys on the van” at the end. If there is a weak link it the idiots in NZ that you have to eb aware of. NZ Van Lines leave a lot to be desired, just the conduct and professionalism. In the end, only a small mark on a domestic appliance on a 12,000 mile voyage. Out stuff left Hertfordshire end of November and we saw the Maersk container in Dunedin arrive 17th January.
For me, bring as much as you can. There is virtually no saving having half a container and that will also delay the process getting to NZ. Given how rubbish the GBP rate is to the NZ Dollar, I would bring everything you can lay your hands on and more! We did and also we are building a house and I am going to self import from the UK next year for carpet, flooring, ovens, fridge freezers in fact probably another container! You will be staggered with the exchange rate just how expensive and frankly “crap” the range available to you is in NZ.
That’s my first blog done! Good luck.

wakwak Aug 22nd 2016 9:38 am

Hi, we are new to the forum and have been reading the many comments regarding shipping.
We are currently trying to decide between two - PSS & Bonners. MarineBoyNZ what made you decide on PSS? Anything in particular?
There is about £1k difference between the two at the moment, PSS being the more expensive....!
We are shipping 1 x 20' household plus overspill and two vehicles in a 40'!

Iggydoos Aug 22nd 2016 10:14 am

We chose PSS over Crown as it gave the most competitive quote to from London to Christchurch. They were willing to negotiate down the insurance rate. The experience was positive at both ends. The only thing that was damage was a cupboard backboard which was replaced easily and we didnt bother claiming.

wakwak Aug 22nd 2016 10:20 am

Thanks! They did bring the "insurance" down and of course no tax, still overall more expensive, might see what they can do to be more competitive!
How are you finding it?

Stormer999 Aug 22nd 2016 7:52 pm

We used PSS and the Chch NZ Van Lines who unloaded were absolutely brilliant and so professional. ;);)

MarineboyNZ Aug 22nd 2016 7:53 pm

Boner simply would not budge on price even to match PSS so we went with PSS. No damage at all. We used LETTON PERCIVAL for our insurance at about 1.25%. We never made a claim so can not assess if they are any good but there are only a couple of underwriters anyway. Good luck

wakwak Aug 22nd 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks all.
Bonner offered a reduced insurance quote without being pushed to be fair, PSS are more expensive so I've gone back to see what they can do. I do like the idea of the free air freight and storage
I've also got a quote from Percival which is competitive!

Lisa Maree Aug 24th 2016 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by wakwak (Post 12032480)
Thanks all.
Bonner offered a reduced insurance quote without being pushed to be fair, PSS are more expensive so I've gone back to see what they can do. I do like the idea of the free air freight and storage
I've also got a quote from Percival which is competitive!

With regards to the free air freight from PSS, the box is pretty small and it costs to collect from the airport in customs charges or you can upgrade to door to door for not much more, I think its about $80 and no custom charges. We are going with PSS but have opted now for the free TV crate as that was actually of financial benefit, rather than ending up costing us a fair bit more.

wakwak Aug 25th 2016 8:03 am

Thanks
When do you go? We're still debating what to take, my washer is about to be replaced as its on its last legs, trying to decide whether to buy a cheap one here or try and hold on!
What about the dryer?
So many decisions :)

Stormer999 Aug 25th 2016 8:25 am

Originally Posted by wakwak (Post 12034619)
Thanks
When do you go? We're still debating what to take, my washer is about to be replaced as its on its last legs, trying to decide whether to buy a cheap one here or try and hold on!
What about the dryer?
So many decisions :)

World wide guarantees are next to useless so your Northern hemisphere new washer will be unsupported if a fault occurs. If you relocate to Chch you can dry your washing outside, we have for the last 4 + years....;) Lisa Maree is spot on with the customs charges for the box... we could have bought the contents cheaper in Warehouse to get ourselves started....

wakwak Aug 25th 2016 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 12034639)
World wide guarantees are next to useless so your Northern hemisphere new washer will be unsupported if a fault occurs. If you relocate to Chch you can dry your washing outside, we have for the last 4 + years....;)

Yeah I thought that. What about cost of local repair if it's a brand that's available locally?
Happy with drying outside and ChCh is a possibility :)
We spend years collecting stuff for our home it feels weird to be stripping it down to basics! I have hundreds of books.... Kindle time lol!

Lisa Maree Aug 25th 2016 8:31 am

I initially thought the air freight box was tea chest size, was planning on kids toys and scooters but when I googled for an image its really small, cant think of anything that useful that could fit in it that you wouldn't be better off just buying when you get there!

We are bringing our dryer as its just been serviced / parts replaced as part of that scandal recently with poor design causing fires!! So its like new really. We are renting so don't have washing machine etc but I think its a good opportunity to perhaps see if you can build up some credit history on a mid range washing machine??

wakwak Aug 25th 2016 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree (Post 12034646)
I initially thought the air freight box was tea chest size, was planning on kids toys and scooters but when I googled for an image its really small, cant think of anything that useful that could fit in it that you wouldn't be better off just buying when you get there!

We are bringing our dryer as its just been serviced / parts replaced as part of that scandal recently with poor design causing fires!! So its like new really. We are renting so don't have washing machine etc but I think its a good opportunity to perhaps see if you can build up some credit history on a mid range washing machine??

That's not a bad idea re credit history, mines pretty good here so I'm not used to not having one haha! I never really gave that much thought, I did see that the banks like period of credit history here so I'd thought to take experian credit file and also things like credit card and mortgage statements!