Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping Timelines

Shipping Timelines

Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Timelines

We paid for our own 40ft container and filled it. We could have downsized our stuff and gone for a shared container but the delivery times doubled from 10-12 weeks to up to 6 months depending on who we were sharing with and where in the world their stuff was being picked up and dropped off. Own container is more expensive but takes less time and more secure.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Skoskie
I got so used to sleeping on a mattress on the floor for a few weeks after our stuff shipped,I was convinced I'd fall out of a real bed when I finally got one!!
You've brought back memories
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

shuvit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by anja innes
Thanks that's very helpful information. We have a problem RE shipping because we live in Shetland so need to do contingency plans. They have also quoted us extortionate rates. Did you send a full container or did you have a shared one?
Oh no, that sounds like a pain
We too went for the full container option, based on cubic measurements of our estimate we were given in the region of £4.3k (I don't have exact figure on me)
We were told on the day of packing that if we went over our allowance even though there was space left in container, we would have to pay additional costs
Hope this helps
Old Sep 15th 2017, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Skoskie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anja innes
Could I ask how much you were quoted for a full container?
Will have a search to see if I can find documentation...
Old Sep 15th 2017, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Will have a search to see if I can find documentation...
For sole use 40ft container (2204 cu ft) door to door Scottish Borders to Napier,including packing and unpacking,the final quote was £6950. Without insurance through them. I think we got them to knock off a couple of hundred from the original quote. As I said we were quite happy with their service though our container took a couple of weeks longer than the estimate. This was in November 2015.

However, what we paid to ship our dog and cats over made that seem VERY modest! LOL!!
Old Sep 15th 2017, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

For sole use 40ft container (2204 cu ft)

However, what we paid to ship our dog and cats over made that seem VERY modest! LOL!!
Oh yes, a little pricey isn't it - we are sending my 2 huskies over in November - now that's costing more than a flight for 2ad 3ch and a 20ft container house move in total!!!
Old Sep 15th 2017, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shuvit
Oh yes, a little pricey isn't it - we are sending my 2 huskies over in November - now that's costing more than a flight for 2ad 3ch and a 20ft container house move in total!!!
Yes - the animals cost us more than everything else put together! We had three cats - and a 70 kg Leonberger...
On the positive side, none of them seemed at all bothered by the journey ( I of course did the worrying for them!) and immediately settled in very well.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Walfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to beholdWalfordnz is a splendid one to behold

Ours got packed up Thursday. I'm currently camping out with my two cats and dog lol while hubby sets up in nz. I have lived here for 19 years and it's very strange to see it empty!

We are using a shared one I'm hoping it doesn't take as long as some of you say lol. My husband said that it would take 8 weeks. But he has got quite a few things wrong in this process so I'm not sure I trust 100% of what he says haha.

And yes crikey, the cost of sending our pets over the same as if not more then shipping and our flights. Our dog is only a jrt so it's only 3 small pets.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Walfordnz
Ours got packed up Thursday. I'm currently camping out with my two cats and dog lol while hubby sets up in nz. I have lived here for 19 years and it's very strange to see it empty!

We are using a shared one I'm hoping it doesn't take as long as some of you say lol. My husband said that it would take 8 weeks. But he has got quite a few things wrong in this process so I'm not sure I trust 100% of what he says haha.

And yes crikey, the cost of sending our pets over the same as if not more then shipping and our flights. Our dog is only a jrt so it's only 3 small pets.
Good luck with the in house camping - ours was sent over 4 weeks ago and like your hubby, mine is over there setting up home for us too, my bum does not enjoy camping chairs anymore for some reason - I think it may recover on the 30+hour travel to NZ at the end of October!! 😂😭