British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping to the South Island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-south-island-484384/)

Here comes the sun Sep 30th 2007 7:45 am

Shipping to the South Island

Ive been told by a few people that Auckland is the only major port, therefore all shipped goods go there, is this true?

We are moving to Dunedin but the cost of sending goods from Auckland to Dunedin and shipping them across the world will probally cost a fortune!

So basically can you ship items to the south island? :blink:

lardyl Sep 30th 2007 7:56 am

Re: Shipping to the South Island

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5369843)
Ive been told by a few people that Auckland is the only major port, therefore all shipped goods go there, is this true?

We are moving to Dunedin but the cost of sending goods from Auckland to Dunedin and shipping them across the world will probally cost a fortune!

auckland is not the only port and not the only initial destination for containerised goods AFIK, probably best to search the MAF / Customs webiste to find out where they are based to get an idea of the likely inbound ports. :)

lardyl Sep 30th 2007 8:05 am

could be wrong of course, but I'm sure that I've heard of people taking shipments to Wellington and to the South Island without having to go via Auckland - could be wrong mind!

eileen35 Sep 30th 2007 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5369843)

Hi there
we are heading to Christchurch,and we have arranged with Brittania removers.
At the time we asked about Dunedin too as we were unsure if it was Chch or Dunedin for us.
They said they can ship to Chch then if we decide we are heading for Dunedin,they can arrange removal to there.They do door to door.:thumbup:
Under £3000 for a 20foot container
We are in Glasgow just now.
Hope this helps

TeamEmbo Sep 30th 2007 9:23 am

Containers for Christchurch go to Lyttelton Port, Christchurch. Usually if delivery is within 30km of Christchurch it is free (or at least included in the price). Our container left UK 27 May and arrived in Christchurch 6 weeks later, having customs clearance, was delivered to our house and unloaded. MAF wanted to look at 55 boxes, which we set aside in the garage for them to do so. Unloading took under 1 1/2 hrs and MAF were here for 30 mins, all was ok. Am not sure if the recent foot and mouth and blue(?)/black(?) tongue has affected this as I did hear recently that all containers were to be inspected at ports. Best to check with whoever is quoting the job for you in the UK or with NZ customs or MAF.

southerner Oct 1st 2007 10:17 pm

All quotes should be door to door, and yes Dunedin has a large port that is on a major weekly round the world container shipping route, so cost should be comparable to that of Auckland.

Tell me, was it somebody from Auckland who said Auckland had the only major port?:sneaky:

KIRSTIE Oct 2nd 2007 8:23 am

hi
we want to go to Invercargill and when we have enquired about shipping goods over, we got told that they would go to Dunedin as that is the largest port in the area, so there is no reason why your goods cannot go door to door.

with regards

kirstie

lardyl Oct 2nd 2007 9:13 am

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 5375882)
All quotes should be door to door, and yes Dunedin has a large port that is on a major weekly round the world container shipping route, so cost should be comparable to that of Auckland.

Tell me, was it somebody from Auckland who said Auckland had the only major port?:sneaky:

yeah and they're on strike today and tomorrow!!! :rofl:

southerner Oct 2nd 2007 9:06 pm

Here's the main Maersk weekly service to NZ:
http://www.maerskline.com/globalimag...Z_String_A_NZ1

jennifer45 Oct 2nd 2007 10:18 pm

Crown have depots just about everywhere in NZ.
They're shipping our lot direct to Nelson and storing it in their depot there until we're ready to have it delivered -Free within 50 Kms.(By Crown in NZ- not another firm).
They have depots in Christchurch and Wellington as well.

I'm not pushing them- just saying that there are port facilities in Nelson and elsewhere for container ships- Auckland is not the only port.