Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping quote seems excessive, advice please

Shipping quote seems excessive, advice please

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:20 pm
www.hyperreality.net

Shingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant future
Default Shipping quote seems excessive, advice please

Hi there, new to this site, but finding it very useful. Having read quite a few threads on shipping prices, most prices for 20ft container seemed to be coming out at around 3,200-3,500. We had someone round to quote, we have less that a 20ft, more like 3/4 full, approx 625 cubic feet worth and we have been quoted £4,900. Does that seem a bit off the mark? Because we're not shipping straight away, we asked for storage prices for a few months. They basically split it into three parts, to pack and take items to their storage, storage itself and shipping to NZ. When you add everything up, if we had storage for 6 months it comes out to over £7,000. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the quote.
Stressed big time now. Have some others scheduled to quote soon, hoping they are cheaper. No way we can afford £7,000, can slowly see our savings dwindling before we even get there.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping quote seems excessive, advice please

Originally Posted by Shingi
Hi there, new to this site, but finding it very useful. Having read quite a few threads on shipping prices, most prices for 20ft container seemed to be coming out at around 3,200-3,500. We had someone round to quote, we have less that a 20ft, more like 3/4 full, approx 625 cubic feet worth and we have been quoted £4,900. Does that seem a bit off the mark? Because we're not shipping straight away, we asked for storage prices for a few months. They basically split it into three parts, to pack and take items to their storage, storage itself and shipping to NZ. When you add everything up, if we had storage for 6 months it comes out to over £7,000. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the quote.
Stressed big time now. Have some others scheduled to quote soon, hoping they are cheaper. No way we can afford £7,000, can slowly see our savings dwindling before we even get there.
hi we have been quoted, £2,200 for 600 cbft with EVL international ltd near heathrow its about £4,000 for a full 20ft, well you don't have to fill it up but will cost about £4,000 could you not put it in storage your shelve untill your readly to go to nz yellow box are quite good
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

sorry for got there web site www.evl.co.uk
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:23 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

... it comes out to over £7,000....
Excessive, we shipped a 40ft for that! Don't worry though, there is normally a fairly wide range of quotes, you may have just got the highest first. Wasn't Pickfords by any chance???
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

mumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by simonsi
Excessive, we shipped a 40ft for that! Don't worry though, there is normally a fairly wide range of quotes, you may have just got the highest first. Wasn't Pickfords by any chance???
We have paid a similar price for our container (awating its arrival) shipping cost have got up very high this year and this was the reason we were quoted a much higher price than the original quote at the beginning of the year. the extra storage maybe the problem check out self storage either in the UK until you actual leave and check out the prices here we still have to do that bit as we are still hunting for a home!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:33 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumbee2
We have paid a similar price for our container (awating its arrival) shipping cost have got up very high this year and this was the reason we were quoted a much higher price than the original quote at the beginning of the year. the extra storage maybe the problem check out self storage either in the UK until you actual leave and check out the prices here we still have to do that bit as we are still hunting for a home!
We stored it for free for 9 weeks on the ship, maybe better to ship soon as then only store if you really need to at the NZ end...
Old Oct 4th 2010, 11:53 am
www.hyperreality.net

Shingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant future

Thanks guys for the advice. It was Excess International, think they over allocated too be honest. Will get them to requote once I get my other quotes in. Just had Barnes of Lincoln round, really nice guy and seemed to try really hard to meet all our needs. He thought we had 520 cubic feet, whereas Excess were quoting us 678 cubic feet. Barnes of Lincoln said to store that it will be £25 per week + VAT, Excess £72.00 incl. VAT per week.
Also the guy from Barnes of Lincoln said that because we were unsure whether or not we will be able to stay in NZ, they would only box up the smaller items and then when we know for definite, they can access the crates and package up the larger furniture to overseas shipping so that we aren't paying over the odds up front. Have another company round Wed and one next week, so I should get a few comparisons. But feel alot less stressed after speaking to this guy today.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonsi
Quotes do vary widely - our cheapest quote was £2,300 lower than the highest (even after adjustments to make sure we were comparing like-with-like). Pickfords were the cheapest for us by a wide margin, so I guess it all depends on your circumstances and whether the individual doing the quoting is having a good day or not!!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

Hi, we shipped approx 600 cubic feet from Scotland to CHCH and cost us around £2800 from memory with Anglo Pacific, container just left here on Friday so cant comment on further service as yet!!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:39 pm
www.hyperreality.net

Thanks guys, that gives me a better indication of what we should be looking for.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:34 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for the advice. It was Excess International, think they over allocated too be honest. Will get them to requote once I get my other quotes in. Just had Barnes of Lincoln round, really nice guy and seemed to try really hard to meet all our needs. He thought we had 520 cubic feet, whereas Excess were quoting us 678 cubic feet. Barnes of Lincoln said to store that it will be £25 per week + VAT, Excess £72.00 incl. VAT per week.
Also the guy from Barnes of Lincoln said that because we were unsure whether or not we will be able to stay in NZ, they would only box up the smaller items and then when we know for definite, they can access the crates and package up the larger furniture to overseas shipping so that we aren't paying over the odds up front. Have another company round Wed and one next week, so I should get a few comparisons. But feel alot less stressed after speaking to this guy today.
That's who we came over with. Julian is a great guy and although he owns the company, he will be there to pack the container on the day. Can't recommend Barnes enough.....good luck with the move!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:19 pm
It is what it is Member

...It was Excess International...
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

3 boxes by air with Seven Seas is costing me £500

i thought i'd use 2, but never realised i had so many clothes!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

craigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
3 boxes by air with Seven Seas is costing me £500

i thought i'd use 2, but never realised i had so many clothes!
Guys

Read the comments with interest. Currently going through the tendering phase with 4 companies at the moment for a 40ft container which includes our car.

The one area that really has me curious at the moment is insurance. All 4 are quoting between 2.7% and 2.8% though I believe there is room to push them harder on this. My questions are;

1. Did anyone find that they could get their credit card companies to cover them with cheaper insurance if they used this payment method?

2. Letton Percival have been quoted as an independent insurance provider that we should take a look at. Anyone used them and how much more competitive are they?

Thanks in advance

CJ
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:38 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by craigjohnstone
Guys

Read the comments with interest. Currently going through the tendering phase with 4 companies at the moment for a 40ft container which includes our car.

The one area that really has me curious at the moment is insurance. All 4 are quoting between 2.7% and 2.8% though I believe there is room to push them harder on this. My questions are;

1. Did anyone find that they could get their credit card companies to cover them with cheaper insurance if they used this payment method?

2. Letton Percival have been quoted as an independent insurance provider that we should take a look at. Anyone used them and how much more competitive are they?

Thanks in advance

CJ
Re 1 I'd be amazed if that worked at all, anything you didn't actually purchase with the card can't be covered, just paying for the shipping cost with the card would insure the shipping cost, not the goods shipped AND I'd be very surprised if they would cover ANY goods while in transit like that.

Re 2 there are many quote camparisons on this site so a search should yield some good info on a variety of cases....we didn't insure at all and had no problems...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.