Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping overseas insurance with a different company is it cheaper

Shipping overseas insurance with a different company is it cheaper

Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shipping overseas insurance with a different company is it cheaper

Hi

ok planning the big move out of here, and just wondered about insurance of our stuff.

do we have to go through the shipping companies insurance or can we get quotes of our own.

the shipping company quoted us to be having 60 000 worth of stuff, it was a joke, like 200 nzd for kitchen steps, or 2000 for a foot stool. I dont think so.

So has anyone used a different company to insure their shipped household goods.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:23 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping overseas insurance with a different company is it cheaper

Originally Posted by Sugo
Hi

ok planning the big move out of here, and just wondered about insurance of our stuff.

do we have to go through the shipping companies insurance or can we get quotes of our own.

the shipping company quoted us to be having 60 000 worth of stuff, it was a joke, like 200 nzd for kitchen steps, or 2000 for a foot stool. I dont think so.

I recently shipped goods from Australia which ended up in Singapore and are now MIA. Company? Pack and Send.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We used http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/ to insure the container contents and they were much cheaper than the actual shipping company.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:03 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
I recently shipped goods from Australia which ended up in Singapore and are now MIA. Company? Pack and Send.
If any one else has had problems with Pack and Send let me know, maybe we can do something about it.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:50 am
Jen

jenjag will become famous soon enoughjenjag will become famous soon enough

Hi

Hi, I am just in the same process as you, my boxes arrive on tuesday and the shipping company quoted 5% of total worth to insure items, i gave Letton Pervical and call and they were really helpful, only 1.5% of total cost, a big saving.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Are Letton Pervical quoting for the same thing? They also quoted us
1.5 % but this did not include mold protection, sets, or electrical goods where as Crown quoted us 3.5 % to include this cover. Its like comparing aples with pears so to speak.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

We did a detailed comparison between the insurance offered by our removers and letton percival.

The removers after haggling eventually quoted 2% of value + the 5% insurance tax thingy. + and additional 0.2% each if we wanted sets and pairs cover, electrical derangement and mould and mildew cover. They also waived the excess.

Letton percival quoted 1.53% + the 5% + an additional £100 for the plasma TV. The offered us cover for sets and pairs at an extra £130. The excess on the policy would be 1% of the value of the goods so at £60,000 thats £600.

Talking to Letton Percival was usefull, they advised that you really dont need Mould and Mildew cover. As long as your goods are professionally packed and properly dried out before they are packed i.e. fridge freezer etc, then the only time Mould and Mildew is likely to be an issue is if the container leaks, which is covered anyway.

They also advised that whilst some companies offer electrical derangement at an additonal cost that again if your item was working before it was packed and doesn't work when it gets to the other end then obviously something happened to it in transit (assuming you've got the right power supply etc) and you are covered.

Sets and pairs was not covered by Letton percival. So I said to them what if theres a big tear in one of my leather armchairs and I have to replace both. What if half my plates in my dinner service get smashed and I know they dont make it anymore and I have to replace the whole dinner service. So they raised this with the insurers and they agreed to the quote as above.

So when we compared like for like then yes the Letton Percival quote was cheaper, but should we have to make a claim it would have made it more expensive.

Its also worthwhile walking around the house and making a detailed list of everything and how much it would take to replace when you get there. One company told us we had £100k worth of stuff. We did a comprehensive list and found it was more like £60k. This is what we are going to give to the insurers. We are also going to take pictures of everything and some video of the electrical items working before we leave.

The packers are due next Saturday, the last two weeks have been a series of hangovers. I can't wait to get going now.

Good luck with your plans, hope the above helps x