British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping over a PC from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-over-pc-uk-334419/)

bosshog Oct 30th 2005 8:42 am

Shipping over a PC from the UK

Can anyone tell me if I bring over my personal computer whether this will work, or should I buy a new one out there? :rolleyes:

SarahB Oct 30th 2005 8:47 am

Re: Shipping over a PC from the UK

Originally Posted by bosshog
Can anyone tell me if I bring over my personal computer whether this will work, or should I buy a new one out there? :rolleyes:

hmmmm.....now let me see..... yeah well I might be blonde but I'm using mine right now and I'm pretty sure I'm in NZ.....am I? :eek: :rolleyes:

bosshog Oct 30th 2005 8:50 am

Thanks for the speedy reply. Are you in NZ????

SarahB Oct 30th 2005 8:58 am

Thanks for the speedy reply. Are you in NZ????

Hiya!! Yeah I sure am!!

Bring everything you can with you....some things can be a lot more expensive than what you would pay in the UK for same item.

turkeytickler Oct 31st 2005 4:54 am

Just a word of warning - PCs + assorted peripherals tend to eat up power sockets and im sure you are aware.....buy power converters in the UK and bring them over with you - or buy lots of 4-6 way power adapters so you only have to change a few plugs.

We assumed they would be cheap and readily available in NZ - cheapest we have found is $15 a shot from Dick Smiths.... thats a lot of cash if you need 10 of them to get your pc/network up and running...

They are like gold dust in our house - my wife and I fight over them! :p

SarahB Oct 31st 2005 8:51 am

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
Just a word of warning - PCs + assorted peripherals tend to eat up power sockets and im sure you are aware.....buy power converters in the UK and bring them over with you - or buy lots of 4-6 way power adapters so you only have to change a few plugs.

We assumed they would be cheap and readily available in NZ - cheapest we have found is $15 a shot from Dick Smiths.... thats a lot of cash if you need 10 of them to get your pc/network up and running...

They are like gold dust in our house - my wife and I fight over them! :p

Totally agree with this post. We have enough not to fight over them though!! :) ..... just!!

AndyF Nov 1st 2005 8:00 am

yep it'll work no problem. however, i have just shipped mine over here, and the harddrive got some moisture in it during the shipment, so i'd advise getting someone who knows what they are doing to take the harddrive out, and bring it on your person, or pack it in with plenty of silcagel. Or make sure you back up all your important info before shipping in case it happens to you, i did and it saved me a lot of hassle.

I'd back up what the other person says, bring as much stuff as possible, some stuff isnt that cheap here especially with the sterling to NZ exchange rate being so poor at the moment.