Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping our stuff!!!!!!!!!

Shipping our stuff!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the rough
Default Shipping our stuff!!!!!!!!!

Hi all

Starting to gather info. for the big move. Anyone have any recommendations for shipping all our stuff.

Any good or bad experiences that anyone has had either recently or in the past. Any companies that we should avoid like the plague.

cheers
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping our stuff!!!!!!!!!

Try these for starters

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584187
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582910

and try the search bit at the top of the page and type in removals or container to see what it brings up.

Phyl x
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Caerwysok is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I have just moved all our stuff over from the UK. We used European Van Lines, they were expensive, make sure you don't go over 20ft container.
Our container arrived in the country 10th Jan. Arrived at ours 14th Jan, MAF arrived on 16th Jan. All they took with them was a tent...
All good so far with unpacking except a damaged mirror frame which is covered on insurance..
Have heard some horror stories but these guys were ok...
Hope this helps
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Hothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the rough

Having looked at the links posted (thanks). I'm going to give Crown a bell when it gets closer, but also get some other quotes to use as a bit of a bargaining tool.

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

kiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nice

We used Crown like wise so did my sister. I didn't use there insurance went for a company called Letton Percival much cheaper and paperwork easier. You do not have to take Crown insurance and they will try to bargain with you but are not able to match or be lower than Letton

D
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Been on to Letton today and they are sending details for their container insurance
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Crown insurance quote for £45k cover £1639;Letton Percival £756 Crown had offered £345 off the insurance but when we said we got it much cheaper and could they do a deal so they took £110 off quote but still haggling! Trying to get the cost below £4k,at £4097 just now.Watch this space

Phyl x
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Nice one, nail their hat on The chap at letton's was very helpful and did ask if i had got their details from an expat forum. Caught red handed eh
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone used PSS insurance?

I rang Letton Percival & they said it would be 1.6% with either £100 excess or 1% whichever is the greatest!...I mentioned this to the guy at PSS & he said they could lower their insurance to 2% with only £50 excess

The only problem I have found with Letton Percival is that they said they can deal with any claims by email, although every time they send an email to an aol address it gets returned for some reason! Guess who my email provider is? Yep...aol! I wanted to keep this address too!

Now I'm not sure who to go with ...think we may stay with PSS insurance!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

Hi we shipped all our stuf over with European Van Lines too, after being let down BIG TIME by Fox International who decided to up their price by £300 the day before the packers were due, we think they were trying to pull a fast one and that they didn't think we'd be able to find anyone else so soon!!! but i got straight on the phone to a guy called Kevin at EVL and they were with us the next day, they were fantastic, the guys who did the packing were brilliant very hard working they also did it for £600 less than Fox and did the insurance for 1.5% which saved us money too, We had a quote from them originally but didn't chose them first as they are quite a small company and hadn't heard alot about them, but i would strongly recommend you give them a shot at quoting you even try ringing Kevin yourself and say you've been recommened by Mrs Allsebrook (Thrapston Northants---New Plymouth NZ Sept26th).... Our stuff took 9 weeks to get here.... When the container arrived into NZ we were pasted over to a company called "The Moving Company" who are also very professional... Good Luck hope this helps?????
Andrea x
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the info. Do EVL have a website at all?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Shipping our stuff!!!!!!!!!

They sure do its: http://www.evl.co.uk/
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. Got an info. pack on the way. Cheers
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hothouse
Hi all

Starting to gather info. for the big move. Anyone have any recommendations for shipping all our stuff.

Any good or bad experiences that anyone has had either recently or in the past. Any companies that we should avoid like the plague.

cheers
Hi

Have to say PSS have given us a fantastic service and have used them and their counterpart NZ van Lines in New Zealand.

We have looked at shipping back recently and they gave a rough estimate of around 3500 pounds to ship back nearly 20 ft container.

They wrap,pack and unwrap/unpack a the other end,as well as take away all empty cartons.

Best wishes

majohnno
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Shipping Back??????