Shipping NZ to UK

Old Feb 6th 2017, 11:45 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping NZ to UK

I was just mulling over some advice from one forum member whilst we were struggling to settle in here. Which was to quit moaning, pack up our stuff and go home (or words to that effect).

If I was to take this kindly advice, is the cost roughly the same as it is coming UK to NZ? Just interested nothing more . Cheers.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping NZ to UK

We've just had our shippers in. Needed a 40' container, they packed everything for us so we didn't need to do anything. Cost around $10k plus insurance. Obviously a 20' container would be cheaper and you can also share a container if you don't have a lot of stuff to ship I believe. They quoted around $3.5k for insurance but we organised our own separate insurance for less than $2k. We used Allied Movers. Hope that helps :-)
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudge1
We've just had our shippers in. Needed a 40' container, they packed everything for us so we didn't need to do anything. Cost around $10k plus insurance. Obviously a 20' container would be cheaper and you can also share a container if you don't have a lot of stuff to ship I believe. They quoted around $3.5k for insurance but we organised our own separate insurance for less than $2k. We used Allied Movers. Hope that helps :-)
That is a really reasonable price!! Do not think you will get better eh? From memory I paid about 7k pounds back in 2005. That was inclusive of packing and insurance too. At the exchange rate of the day that was about $19K nz! Admittedly it was an over sized hi cube 40 footer, but still was very expensive by comparison with your $10k.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
I was just mulling over some advice from one forum member whilst we were struggling to settle in here. Which was to quit moaning, pack up our stuff and go home (or words to that effect).
*sigh* I'm sorry if someone said that to you. Not very nice really and no need.
We all have our assorted struggles in life and emigration + settling can be one of the toughest of struggles which can take years and wreak havoc the strongest of marriages and relationships.

No idea why people feel the need to dump on others in that way. It isn't really why BE was created in the first place. Which was a place for immigrants and expats to meet and connect with each other when far from home countries and families.

If someone is happy in their new country, then that is very happy news and really lovely to read what with the excitement and the upbeat settling in . But if someone is not A OK then it is fine to share that too & hopefully receive some support and understanding . After all, it costs nothing for a happy person to give an unhappy person a bit of a hug .

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 8th 2017 at 9:32 pm. Reason: missed the word havoc.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We all have our assorted struggles in life and emigration + settling can be one of the toughest of struggles which can take years and wreak the strongest of marriages and relationships.

No idea why people feel the need to dump on others in that way. It isn't really why BE was created in the first place. Which was a place for immigrants and expats to meet and connect with each other when far from home countries and families.

If someone is happy in their new country, then that is very happy news and really lovely to read what with the excitement and the upbeat settling in . But if someone is not A OK then it is fine to share that too & hopefully receive some support and understanding . After all, it costs nothing for a happy person to give an unhappy person a bit of a hug .

Quite. I'd love to go back home and we are working on it. There's lots of things I'd miss about NZ, tis the curse for many an expat.

Can't remember what it cost to send our stuff back to the UK in 2005 and it's so long ago now that it's irrelevant. I can't see us taking much furniture back next time, it'll be more the personal crap that we've collected over the years

OH is in Welly at the moment and really not loving the place. Described it as having an "in-bred" feel about it . I think he finds it rather unfriendly. I just took an instant dislike to the place, I found it claustrophobic. Maybe Welly isn't the right place for you and somewhere else would suit you better. Just a thought.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 12:13 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

Quite. I'd love to go back home and we are working on it. There's lots of things I'd miss about NZ, tis the curse for many an expat.

Can't remember what it cost to send our stuff back to the UK in 2005 and it's so long ago now that it's irrelevant. I can't see us taking much furniture back next time, it'll be more the personal crap that we've collected over the years

OH is in Welly at the moment and really not loving the place. Described it as having an "in-bred" feel about it . I think he finds it rather unfriendly. I just took an instant dislike to the place, I found it claustrophobic. Maybe Welly isn't the right place for you and somewhere else would suit you better. Just a thought.
Thanks chief. It's a thought
Old Feb 9th 2017, 12:17 am
Welly bound

Originally Posted by BEVS
We all have our assorted struggles in life and emigration + settling can be one of the toughest of struggles which can take years and wreak havoc the strongest of marriages and relationships.

Thanks for this. It's human nature I suppose, I've learnt the www is not really the place to find that kind of support. The instinct to snipe for some people is very strong with anonymity. I suppose it's the same with road rage. And other times people can be so lovely.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I've lived and worked in the UK, Belgium, Singapore, Australia and NZ - there are things I hate and love about all those places. It's hard to be settled and I don't think I'll ever be completely happy about the place I live in.

One thing I'll say is that moving to a new place and trying to settle in can be very hard, and even the suburb, let alone town or city, can make a huge difference.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:24 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back last year, Auckland to UK and after some very expensive quotes from Allied and Crown we opted for Transworld who were excellent and came in under $6000.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
We moved back last year, Auckland to UK and after some very expensive quotes from Allied and Crown we opted for Transworld who were excellent and came in under $6000.
What size container did you have?
Old Feb 9th 2017, 7:11 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
What size container did you have?
20ft. The others were quoting nearer 9k.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 1:13 am
Just Joined

MarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there, we have the removal men here a week today after being in NZ for 15 months. We had 2 quotes from Dunedin to Edinburgh of $7,680 for a 20 foot container. So not a conventional route. We got this reduced by $2100 as we will pay in GBP the UK side of the removal for £1200. We used Letton Percival in the UK for our NZ- to UK insurance at 1.43% inc taxes. Remember that insuring going back to the UK is cheaper as its replacement costs in UK not in NZ!

Hope this helps.