Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping 'new' items in the container.

Shipping 'new' items in the container.

Old Oct 7th 2018, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

katie8383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping 'new' items in the container.

Hi all

I've read lots of advice on forums and facebook groups about making sure you don't buy anything new and put it in your container in the packaging etc. People are saying to make the items look as though they aren't brand new etc to avoid paying extra charges.

When I've questioned the reason behind this, no one is giving me the real answer, other than 'its to stop you buying new things in your current country so that you spend it in NZ', which doesn't sound like the whole truth /a legitimate reason to me?

Can anyone explain to me the proper rules regarding buying new items for the container. Unfortunately I didn't ask any of the container companies who came to give us quotes this previously as we don't have anything new to ship, and they didn't ask either. However I've decided I would like to buy a new hoover for the container which is being packed in just a few weeks time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping 'new' items in the container.

Simple reason is due to current NZ Customs & Excise rules.
Nothing to do with stopping you buying new things in your current country so that you spend it in NZ. Never heard that one before.

All persons migrating to NZ who import any personal goods (be it furniture, vehicles - anything really) in to NZ, must have owned them goods for a minimum period of at least 12 months in order to avoid paying GST plus fees on their equivalent NZ value plus the shipping of them to NZ.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 4:08 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping 'new' items in the container.

Zero reason to be guided by hearsay, its all on the NZ Customs website:

Household, Personal Effects and Duty

The criteria is quite simple to achieve:
  • owned and used all the goods before importing them here with you.
So demonstrate use, ie remove it from its new box and vacuum a room with it (but then empty and clean it, it will still look used inside) etc...other than for vehicles there is no minimum period of ownership.

Important to realise import duty is payable on everything imported, there is a concession for personal and household items imported by the holders of certain Visa's/Permits.