Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping new items

Shipping new items

Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shipping new items

Can anyone advise on shipping brand new items in your container to NZ, we are thinking of buying some new furniture before we depart and leaving it packaged - has anyone done this, how is it viewed by customs?

Along similar lines, if I stockpiled toiletries / tea bags / bisto would I get in trouble as it could possibly look like I intend to sell these items??

We are very verrrrrry early stages of planning the move back to NZ after 12yrs absence, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole idea right now!!

TIA
Old Mar 30th 2016, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping new items

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
Can anyone advise on shipping brand new items in your container to NZ, we are thinking of buying some new furniture before we depart and leaving it packaged - has anyone done this, how is it viewed by customs?
Not quite sure, as we're still in the UK but planning to do the same (if I can't source the necessary items via gumtree, etc.), although will unpack everything to check all the bits are there. All other items of furniture will get flat-packed where possible to save on space, so hopefully it will be more difficult to tell what's brand new & what's second-hand.

After checking out prices on trademe & reading this forum I'm not going to leave anything to chance + where we're going there's much less choice than where we currently live.

The advice I've seen on this forum is to at least unpack the items you've bought (surely the shipping company will wrap it up nicely for you).

Along similar lines, if I stockpiled toiletries / tea bags / bisto would I get in trouble as it could possibly look like I intend to sell these items??
And how many exactly are you planning to bring?
Having said that I'll be stockpiling on my favourite seasonings too
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if customs feel that the goods are not over 12mths old they could charge you import tax.
as for the toiletries to be honest unless you are going to get people to deliver them from the UK you might as well get into using the NZ stuff and working out which work for you.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Lisa Maree and a warm welcome to this wee cosy NZ forum.

All good wishes for the move back to NZ.

You should be fine with your stockpiles.

With regard to new furniture and the like, you should unpack it and perhaps use it a little bit. Otherwise it will likely attract duty and gst.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so much, I knew that vehicles had to be owned for 12mths prior but wasn't sure if there was min value amount for that rule. Cheers for the advice