Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping my motorcycle to NZ.....?!

Shipping my motorcycle to NZ.....?!

Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Sambo_rav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping my motorcycle to NZ.....?!

Hello all, New to this forum and thought I would be great to jump on since my wife and I are moving to NZ in a few months. She is a kiwi and Im a brit so I can get my residency through her thankfully.

Sorry for some noob questions, if someone could give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it..
I have a classic motorcycle (1989 BMW R80) which is in complete bits as Im halfway through restoring it.

We already have a 20' shipping container which we will put all our stuff into so it's not a worry to also put in the motorcycle parts as well. But how should I import it? As motorcycle parts? Or as a complete bike which is in bits? And will I be able to register it ok once I finish restoring it in another year or 2?

As an additional point, my father-in-law (who resides north of Auckland) wants me to bring over a spare gearbox for his classic Land Rover series 3. Apparently they are really difficult to find in NZ. Will I be stung for GST and import duty for bringing over a random gearbox in the container?

Many thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping my motorcycle to NZ.....?!

Originally Posted by Sambo_rav
spare gearbox for his classic Land Rover series 3.
Sounds like a fair swap

But seriously with the parts will this not be best declaring as parts making it a lower value for customs duty versus complete which would be higher value sum of parts and all that.

Main thing is bio security so that all items in the container are free of organic material

Are there not custom agents in UK that could provide further guideance on customs? or perhaps review the NZ customs website?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping my motorcycle to NZ.....?!

To register the bike when done you will need proof of ownership and all relevant receipts and customs related paperwork to say it is
legally imported into NZ getting it vinned can be a pain but not impossible and they can be very strict, depending on your accent
You will have to pay duty on the gearbox so again keep receipts. I would get your FIL to pay as its for him
for further advice try contacting the nz AA