British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping my dog from Scotland to Auckland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-my-dog-scotland-auckland-445742/)

garryhg Apr 28th 2007 9:02 pm

Shipping my dog from Scotland to Auckland?

I wonder if anyone has taken their Dog from Scotland?
I know from reading other threads, a number have done this from England.

The reason I ask is I have only found one place to do this for me (paperwork, carrier, flight, etc). and have today received a quote for £2400.
Does anyone know of any pet transport companies in Scotland so I can get further quotes?

I would also like to know if the other companies (Golden Arrow, I think I saw this in other threads???) are National, or do they just cover England.

Thank You in anticipation.;)

lapsed kiwi Apr 29th 2007 1:16 am

Re: Shipping my dog from Scotland to Auckland?

I think GA will do pickups but charge quite a lot. I also seem to remember they fly the dogs out of Manchester, so meeting them there could be an option? £2400 seems a reasonable ball-park figure

Frenchy Apr 29th 2007 2:26 am

GA will pick up and they fly from Manchester I would really recommend them:)

TeamEmbo Apr 29th 2007 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 4711283)
I wonder if anyone has taken their Dog from Scotland?
I know from reading other threads, a number have done this from England.

The reason I ask is I have only found one place to do this for me (paperwork, carrier, flight, etc). and have today received a quote for £2400.
Does anyone know of any pet transport companies in Scotland so I can get further quotes?

I would also like to know if the other companies (Golden Arrow, I think I saw this in other threads???) are National, or do they just cover England.

Thank You in anticipation.;)

If this includes the vets costs, blood tests, etc then it is an excellent quote. If not, check with your vet to see how much extra you'll need to pay. Sadly our dog is too old and nervous to be allowed to fly. I did enquire about shipping by cargo ship but apparently this is no longer possible so we are reluctantly trying to find him a good home. Before we knew we couldn't take him we had an 'all in' quotes from around 2,8k to 3,2k.

Mally Lass Apr 29th 2007 10:35 pm

Sorry to derail the original question, but I already had a figure in my head for when we take our dogs, but does that price go on the weight of the dog :confused: (If it does, I'm in trouble :eek: )

garryhg Apr 30th 2007 9:59 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4715305)
If this includes the vets costs, blood tests, etc then it is an excellent quote. If not, check with your vet to see how much extra you'll need to pay. Sadly our dog is too old and nervous to be allowed to fly. I did enquire about shipping by cargo ship but apparently this is no longer possible so we are reluctantly trying to find him a good home. Before we knew we couldn't take him we had an 'all in' quotes from around 2,8k to 3,2k.

Hi Teamembo....

This quote only covers the paperwork and the transport. Vet's fees for Microchip, vaccinations are over and above this.
Sorry to hear about your dog. All the best with re-homing.

garryhg Apr 30th 2007 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Mally Lass (Post 4715330)
Sorry to derail the original question, but I already had a figure in my head for when we take our dogs, but does that price go on the weight of the dog :confused: (If it does, I'm in trouble :eek: )

HI.....It goes on weight/size etc.... Our dog is a mongrel about the size of a lab, but not a thick built....
This may give you an idea.

Cheers

mcuddy1 Apr 30th 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4715305)

Hi our dog is 14 and never been away from us ,but he turned up ok if a bit dishevled. GA go Man to lhr Auk . and on.He likes his walks on ths beach and is mostly happy.
We did wonder if it was a good idea as the people who bought our house wanted to keep him. But he is well and the kids love having him here. Nobody batted an eyelid about his age.

TeamEmbo Apr 30th 2007 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 4717463)
Hi our dog is 14 and never been away from us ,but he turned up ok if a bit dishevled. GA go Man to lhr Auk . and on.He likes his walks on ths beach and is mostly happy.
We did wonder if it was a good idea as the people who bought our house wanted to keep him. But he is well and the kids love having him here. Nobody batted an eyelid about his age.

I'm really glad your dog travelled ok and must be having a great time on the beach! Unfortunately, it's not just our dog's age, he has a heart murmur and his temperament is too nervy hence not fit to fly. Its been hard but we've made our decision and it really is in our dog's best interests not ours.

ezzkazz Apr 30th 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4719507)
I'm really glad your dog travelled ok and must be having a great time on the beach! Unfortunately, it's not just our dog's age, he has a heart murmur and his temperament is too nervy hence not fit to fly. Its been hard but we've made our decision and it really is in our dog's best interests not ours.

Karma to you TeamEmbo, it has to be an animal lovers worst nightmare having to decide what to do in this kind of situation. Sometimes people do whats best for them and never think about their pet. I hope he gets a great home :)

pixi-dust Apr 30th 2007 9:22 pm

Us and our friends shipped dogs from Glasgow using GA. Our friends had already left so GA picked their dog up from Glasgow and it wasnt horrendously expensive on the scale of things!
We did it slightly differently - we were flying from Heathrow anyway so travelled down with cats and dog in the car and dropped them off ourselves. It was really nice to actually meet and see where GA is - its really nice. :D

TeamEmbo Apr 30th 2007 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by ezzkazz (Post 4719884)
Karma to you TeamEmbo, it has to be an animal lovers worst nightmare having to decide what to do in this kind of situation. Sometimes people do whats best for them and never think about their pet. I hope he gets a great home :)

Ahh, thank you very much :) It was a tough decision and some people have treated us like we're just abandoning him - but we're not, we're trying so hard to find him a nice, loving home before we go and really do think it's best for him. He's just had a trial weekend away with a great family who adore him and he's actually sulking to be back home!!! :eek: They took him swimming in the lake and have 5 kids who constantly played with him. It's hard but we know in our hearts he'll be happiest and healthy staying here. Thank you for being one of the rare ones to understand our choice. xx

garryhg May 1st 2007 6:03 am

Could someone forward me contact details for GA?

Thanks

pixi-dust May 1st 2007 6:19 am

golden arrow tel 01 588 680 240
fax 01 588 680 414
they do everything the old fashioned way - no web site just the phone and letter - dont worry though they're really fast!