Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping a motorhome from UK to NZ

Shipping a motorhome from UK to NZ

Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Richyok is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Shipping a motorhome from UK to NZ

Hi - has anyone done this recently (last couple of years) and could give me any advice on pitfalls and perhaps who to use or not use. Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:09 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a motorhome from UK to NZ

have a read of this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...-uk-nz-831745/
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richyok
Hi - has anyone done this recently (last couple of years) and could give me any advice on pitfalls and perhaps who to use or not use. Thanks
Do it, I wish we had!
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

Our VW T5 is on route at present, should arrive 1/12, will let the forum know how we get on with customs etc shortly
Old Nov 25th 2016, 2:07 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esme61
Our VW T5 is on route at present, should arrive 1/12, will let the forum know how we get on with customs etc shortly
that would be great and would you also give what had to be done to make it NZ compliant to allow it to be registered and road worthy.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

We are bringing our old 1971 VW
Old Nov 26th 2016, 6:42 pm

I know someone who bought over their camper and said it was a nightmare and cost lots more than expected and took months longer also to get it compliant.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
that would be great and would you also give what had to be done to make it NZ compliant to allow it to be registered and road worthy.
given the state of driving

Bull Bars front rear sides

Instead of self lane warning it should be approaching Asian
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I know someone who bought over their camper and said it was a nightmare and cost lots more than expected and took months longer also to get it compliant.

I know a lot of people who don't listen and muck up with an F, compliance.

Nothing against your friend or families experience but I would love to hear directly from someone who is methodical and followed instructions and comes out with a balanced experience.

All I am saying is that for the few experiences I have read I have run into loads on the road who have done so with no issues. So big void in my opinion.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

We've been speaking to the AA for guidance in both vehicles. Our truck has had to have some certificates of compliance from the manufacturer.

As for the VW. They've guided us as much as possible and we've taken advice from the VW owners club. We think he will be ok, there's some rust which worries us but body is sound.
It's a worry.

How much more methodical can we be? Are we missing stuff? Your experiences on this would be well received

Originally Posted by Parnell
I know a lot of people who don't listen and muck up with an F, compliance.

Nothing against your friend or families experience but I would love to hear directly from someone who is methodical and followed instructions and comes out with a balanced experience.

All I am saying is that for the few experiences I have read I have run into loads on the road who have done so with no issues. So big void in my opinion.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

Update - was coming into Wellington but closed due to Earthquake we are still waiting to hear where it will dock - Napier has been mentioned
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Update - was coming into Wellington but closed due to Earthquake we are still waiting to hear where it will dock - Napier has been mentioned
Finally off loaded in Napier and has taken over a week by rail to get to New Plymouth. arrived in NP on Tuesday and today it was handed over to NZVanlines who have been great with their correspondence due to the earthquake in Wellington they have emailed and phoned to keep us updated.
So its out of the port, all our boxes from inside were delivered this morning and it looks like only the top of the awning bag had been opened. We collected the camper on D plates from the garage and it went for initial assessment for its low volume certificate as its a modified van, that is now been processed but will not be completed before xmas hols as the plates are issued in Wellington and the close today! It is now at the AA having its compliance completed an will be back tomorrow afternoon.
With the 3 week delay we have been able to speak with the garages and they have tried their best to complete the compliance but we are just a few days too late.
We were told many time that it wouldn't clear MAF without fumigation due to awnings and camping gear so we didn't incur any cleaning fees. The only problem looks to be the rear seatbelts which are attached to the rock n roll bed which may have to be removed - it will become registed for 2 seats not 4 but thats not a problem for us.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Any advice on getting one for purposes of mobile office

Heading around regional NZ in 2017 and majority of places there will not be motels or campgrounds. And will be lugging full office gear around (with sat phone)

Ideally 4 berth (adult) berth

Will be towing SUV

Trying to narrow range down as in UK Feb to purchase and place on boat.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Finally off loaded in Napier and has taken over a week by rail to get to New Plymouth. arrived in NP on Tuesday and today it was handed over to NZVanlines who have been great with their correspondence due to the earthquake in Wellington they have emailed and phoned to keep us updated.

Hope all goes ok
So its out of the port, all our boxes from inside were delivered this morning and it looks like only the top of the awning bag had been opened. We collected the camper on D plates from the garage and it went for initial assessment for its low volume certificate as its a modified van, that is now been processed but will not be completed before xmas hols as the plates are issued in Wellington and the close today! It is now at the AA having its compliance completed an will be back tomorrow afternoon.
With the 3 week delay we have been able to speak with the garages and they have tried their best to complete the compliance but we are just a few days too late.
We were told many time that it wouldn't clear MAF without fumigation due to awnings and camping gear so we didn't incur any cleaning fees. The only problem looks to be the rear seatbelts which are attached to the rock n roll bed which may have to be removed - it will become registed for 2 seats not 4 but thats not a problem for us.
Sounds like it went ok aside from delays

What were the fumigation costs? Did you pay fees for the contents and were these just camper related? Wondering what we can squeeze in the back!

Ours has been lowered so we think that could cause an issue....!
Old Dec 24th 2016, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

We now wish we had put more inside the vehicle, main stuff was the camper contents, awning and tools, we had been told that as soon as they see camping on the inventory then you get fumigated, we packed ourselves and wrote everything on the inventory list and labelled the boxes. We had no fumigation costs just MAF inspections, port duties which cost us $1100, I also had to sign to say I would pay $1600 if I sell the vehicle within 2yrs, we had owned it over 4yrs which greatly reduces import costs. Any modification to the vehicle needs a low volume plate issued, only one garage in New Plymouth can do this (more in main cities) unknown how much it will cost but the AA charged us $530 for compliance- we had mis matched tyres on rear so have had to sort that out, in UK it would have passed as both have near maximum tread. Hopefully sorted and on the road first week January. Add other costs to the thread when known and our overall experience as I read many threads before we decided to import.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.