Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping motorhome from UK to NZ

Shipping motorhome from UK to NZ

Old Apr 20th 2014, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping motorhome from UK to NZ

My apologies if this subject has been covered many times but I couldn't find anything from the search engine.
I am due to visit the UK in June and am hoping to buy a motor home.

Does anyone know how the process of shipping it back to NZ and how much it might cost?

Many thanks for any help
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:59 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping motorhome from UK to NZ

you will probably have to pay import tax on it,

but check out the AA site

http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/licensing-s...o-new-zealand/
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:18 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

This link might help:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804366
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

gks1508 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had some very detailed emails from Paul at Castle European http://www.castle-european.co.nz/ on the very same subject. I understand that they are Expats who now export / import motorhomes from the UK. On Paul's advice, we decided not to take ours as it was partly self built. We bought our camper on the premise that it would be going with us, but then had to be more realistic about it as the compliancy for electrics and self containment are more strict in NZ, though getting stricter in the UK. Our first scan of trade-me for similar campers left us with no hope but after thinking like a Kiwi and not like a Brit we realise that there are options available to us for around the same price that we sold ours for. Well probably be looking at a Nissan Civilian once we get there rather than the UK coach built type. Hope this is helpful - you're looking at around £1800 at least.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Beezer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm shipping a VW California Beach to NZ in a container and its costing me around £1800 including insurance. I have import duty to pay at 15% GST on the amount I paid minus 27.5% (allowable depreciation). Given I bought it VAT free in UK and used it for 5 months, I think its a good deal compared to some of the campervans over here and it has a VW Worldwide warranty.

VW supplied the certificate of compliance and I checked it was all okay with the AA who were extremely helpful.

I met a couple from Island Bay who also shipped one over last year.

Have a look at dealer demonstrators as they are 'VAT qualifying' and you can buy them VAT free in UK if you are heading abroad outside the EU. You just need the right HMRC customs forms completing for authorisation.

Andy
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:28 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

qssue bought one over and had no end of problems with getting it passed. maybe send a pm/email to find out what the problems were
Old May 26th 2014, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

I use FS Mackenzie in Basildon to ship caravans over and Koru Customs to handle all the paperwork this end. Never had any issues.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Mojer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Andy, we are due to come home to NZ from the UK in a few months and are hoping to bring a campervan with us. Which shipping company did you use and were you happy with the service? Did you bring your VW over for personal use or for sale? I had not factored in depreciation - did the AA give you info on this? We are thinking about bringing one over to sell in addition to one to keep so are interested in any info relating to both!

Nick, thanks for the info re FS Mackenzie and Koru customs, I'll def look these guys up.

Sorry for all the questions,

Cheers,
Moana
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mojer
We are thinking about bringing one over to sell in addition to one to keep so are interested in any info relating to both!
Moana
You will have to pay customs as well as the usual import charges/maf/compliance/wof costs to sell any vehicle within 2 years of entry of vehicle.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mojer
Hi there Andy, we are due to come home to NZ from the UK in a few months and are hoping to bring a campervan with us. Which shipping company did you use and were you happy with the service? Did you bring your VW over for personal use or for sale? I had not factored in depreciation - did the AA give you info on this? We are thinking about bringing one over to sell in addition to one to keep so are interested in any info relating to both!

Nick, thanks for the info re FS Mackenzie and Koru customs, I'll def look these guys up.

Sorry for all the questions,

Cheers,
Moana
Used Firstbase http://www.firstbasefreight.co.uk/ speak to Joanna, they were very good and the VW fitted into a container. You will find all the tax info on the NZ customs site. The VW Beach does not count as a motorhome - no sink, cooker or toilet built in, so you avoid the 10% motorhome tax. You would not get away with it with the California SE. I'm now building a kitchen pod to get it certified by NZMCA for self containment.

I'd think twice before bringing an additional one for sale. Roads and camping is very different over here and not everyone desires the compact campers like the VW california, Westfalia etc. There are also plenty of ex-hire ones for sale.

Andy
Old Oct 30th 2014, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Mojer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy, thanks so much for info, hugely appreciated. I'll give Joanna at Firstbase a call. I've heard that Autotrails are pretty popular over there so possibly a better option for resale than a compact?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

The larger campers will go ro-ro. Higher risk and insurance compared to a container.