Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping a Motorcycle?.. Advice please guys.

Shipping a Motorcycle?.. Advice please guys.

Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Shipping a Motorcycle?.. Advice please guys.

Hello All,
So, I need some info again on shipping from the UK to NZ.

I did it three years ago, but now im lucky enough to have an uncle who is giving up his K1300S and wants to ship it to me.

We want to use Robinsons again but they are saying to him that he needs to get it to their Freighting Depot in Oxford!! He lives in Lowestoft for gods sake..
This cant be right eh.. They picked mine up from my house..
I may use another shipper, just not sure who.
Any ideas of another?

So, can you list some items/ documentation he will need to complete please.
He wants a copy of my Passport with PM visa.

He is gifting it to me so im sure I will still need to pay the tax on it here in NZ as I haven't owned it for a year..

Thanks in advance guys..
Haven't been here for a while so may be a good excuse to post a ChCh beer night on another thread.

Regards, Gary.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:08 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a Motorcycle?.. Advice please guys.

Bloody hell that is some gift Wessa and that is some Uncle Can't help with the shipping, I was looking around to get my Blackbird over but sold it in the end (salt roads). Have you put a query on KiwiBiker site?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Bloody hell that is some gift Wessa and that is some Uncle Can't help with the shipping, I was looking around to get my Blackbird over but sold it in the end (salt roads). Have you put a query on KiwiBiker site?
Yeah, pretty lucky eh.. he only just got into biking before i left the Uk. hes a young 65 but he is over it now I didnt think about Kiwibiker so i may take a visit to the site. Thanks for the reminder.

I know a few of the guys here have done the bike shipping thing, im hopping im lucky enough that someone sees this and can remind me of what it entails..
Im sure there are previous posts somewhere, i just need to find them.
Bev may point me in the right direction.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:33 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

contact aa.co.nz
Importing a Car Into New Zealand - aa.co.nz

they will be able to advise you. on that link is an enquiry form

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...please-763811/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...-stuff-749771/

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 8th 2014 at 7:36 am.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I brought mine over 6 years ago with the rest of our house contents, we used crown who were very good.
I see no reason why they wouldnt just do a bike, they collected and delivered it to my door.
paperwork wise I'm guessing you will obviously need the V5 in your name, maybe something from your uncle
stating its a gift, I think it need to be declared to swansea that its been exported but apart from that theres not much else
Old Aug 8th 2014, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea why they're not wanting to ship it, like you they shipped mine albeit some years ago now.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

My two went with our original container with PSS. Were wrapped up in a wooden frames and had no dramas.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys.
Can you reccomend a shipper, apart from robinsons please.

Old Aug 9th 2014, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Hi Wessa
Husband having his Kawasaki VN2000 shipped over by Pickfords, it is going in our container however they are building a crate for it. Pickfords picking it up from house, hubby has to empty petrol tank and disconnect battery.
Once in NZ, have to take it to WOF centre in Auckland. Pickfords asked for copies of our visas and passports.
Happy biking.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Did my Yamaha XJ6 in January and use it for my daily commute :-)

Like everything with NZ, it pays to get prepared for when it gets to the other end. This is what I would do.

1) You will need all the engine number, and VIN Numbers (The badge with a long number) on the underside of the bike

2) You will need the V5 ownership document.

3) The CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMITY. I had to request mine from Yamaha, as was not given this by the dealer. This shows the bike conforms to UK Safety standards.

4) You will need to prove there is no finance on the bike (if asked)

5) You will need to make sure the bike is spotless. I spent half a day scrubbing underneath the fairings etc and even washed the wheels then wrapped them in clingfilm. They normally then wheel the bike onto a custom built crate that they make based on the dimensions.

Whne the Bike gets to NZ.

When you get to the other end, you need to firstly sign a customs declaration that says if you sell it in 2 years, you will pay GST

Then get the bike a WOF (Like and MOT) and then register it.

It is quite time consuming getting you stuff together but if organised
Old Aug 11th 2014, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all for your info and time

Gary
Old Aug 11th 2014, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh... Gary. I see you are in Christchurch. I gave Chris at Superior Motorcycles in Cashel Street a call and he did everything for me. Picked it up, Registered and WoF.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheCockneyKiwi
Oh... Gary. I see you are in Christchurch. I gave Chris at Superior Motorcycles in Cashel Street a call and he did everything for me. Picked it up, Registered and WoF.
Nice one mate, i will pop in and catch up with him.
Thanks.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Toodles23 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! We're shipping a bike to chch later this year.