Reload this Page >

Shipping a motorbike

Shipping a motorbike

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

harrylewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a motorbike

Hi all

I am thinking of shipping my motorbike across to NZ when our container leaves in November. Has anyone done this and are there any pitfalls to watch out for.

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping a motorbike

Im sure youll have to drain the fuel etc out of it. Im not too sure tbh, i'l watch this as im going to be doing the same, along with a car.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

get on to www.kiwibiker.co.nz Very helpful bunch and gave us loads of help in getting our bike here.

Watch out for the packing up, if they create it make sure they pad any bracing bars so nothing rubs paint work or chips it. We ended up with damage due to this - but insurance is paying out to get it fixed - just the hassle.

Make sure you disconnect battery and remove tax disc to get refund!!!!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:54 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Hi

I shipped my motorbike over Feb last year, with Anglo Pacific, all I had to do was clean the bike, disconnect the battery, no need to drain any fule etc just make sure it is not full, half full is ok, cause you will need to start it at the other end and ride it home although everyone will tell you, you can't do that but that is what happens, just book it in for its test and bobs your uncle test costs about $300(approx 110GBP) including WOF and Rego and that is you. You will need to go to customs house and sign a disclaimer stating that you will not sell the bike for 2 years unless you are willing to pay an agreed value of GST pro rata.

If your bike is not something special or means an awful lot to you, I would suggest that you sell it there and buy something here, I brought mine because it was special to me and was a limited edition Ducati, there are now only 2 in NZ the same including mine. Jap bikes are very cheap, you can buy a brand new R1 for less that $18k(about 6,500GBP) or a Fireblade for about the same. Insurance is very similar in cost to the UK for bikes however we found cars to be very cheap for insurance compared to Glasgow.

There are some awsome rides here!

What sort of bike do you have? Where are you moving to?

Cheers
Andy

Originally Posted by harrylewis
Hi all

I am thinking of shipping my motorbike across to NZ when our container leaves in November. Has anyone done this and are there any pitfalls to watch out for.

Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hijack the thread but can i not put the bike and car in one container with all our household stuff? Oh and i have a zx7r.

My ZX7R. Click to enlarge.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

harrylewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Shipping a motorbike

Andy/Zoe

Thanks for your really helpful replies. I have a 97 'blade in mint condition which I will probably risk in the container.

Looking forward to some of the awesome rides.

We will be living in Auckland.

Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

loutho will become famous soon enoughloutho will become famous soon enough

Sorry to sound DULL, but do you mean with everything else youre going to ship out? My husband has a gorgeous Benelli Tre K (I think??)(LOvely colours), if we make the move he was wondering about shipping his??
Regards Louise
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:42 pm

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Yes you can put everything in one container, if it fits with all your gear should be no problem at all. Nice bike, I always liked them especially the R models.

Originally Posted by Wessa
Sorry to hijack the thread but can i not put the bike and car in one container with all our household stuff? Oh and i have a zx7r.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2...ter4jm4.th.jpg My ZX7R. Click to enlarge.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:43 pm

Yes we shipped ours with all our other gear, we also shipped a couple of off-roaders for the kids, but that turned out to be a waste as they are so much cheaper here.

Originally Posted by loutho
Sorry to sound DULL, but do you mean with everything else youre going to ship out? My husband has a gorgeous Benelli Tre K (I think??)(LOvely colours), if we make the move he was wondering about shipping his??
Regards Louise
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:49 pm

Try this www.trademe.co.nz and look at bike prices on there, should give you an idea of prices.

I found it hard to meet other like minded people into bikes as all of my mates back in Scotland had bikes, I joined a couple of clubs they turned out to generally be old guys with bikes, no one to really connect with, but I have met a couple of guys now who are as mad about bikes as me and they know all the great roads we can go hooning(blasting) around.

Good luck, let me know when u get here and you can maybe come for a blast!

Andy

Originally Posted by harrylewis
Andy/Zoe

Thanks for your really helpful replies. I have a 97 'blade in mint condition which I will probably risk in the container.

Looking forward to some of the awesome rides.

We will be living in Auckland.

Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Looks like a forty footer will be in order then..