British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping of luggages, (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-luggages-605525/)

Matewx Apr 25th 2009 9:22 pm

Shipping of luggages,

Hey All,

Me again with my stupid questions...

My employer will be taking care of my flight & I have already asked to fly through the US so I benefit of the Xtra luggage & the generous allowance...

But looking at prices at the moment, I think they will tell me to forget about it as Cathay Pacific is around £350 through HK & Air NZ £580 through LAX... Money talks so I guess my little request to fly through the US will be forgotten...

SO, I am looking to send one of my bags through a courrier company or something... Can anyone put me in the right direction??:confused::confused:

Merci!!

Trenchfoot Apr 25th 2009 9:33 pm

Re: Shipping of luggages,

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7514219)
Hey All,

Me again with my stupid questions...

My employer will be taking care of my flight & I have already asked to fly through the US so I benefit of the Xtra luggage & the generous allowance...

But looking at prices at the moment, I think they will tell me to forget about it as Cathay Pacific is around £350 through HK & Air NZ £580 through LAX... Money talks so I guess my little request to fly through the US will be forgotten...

SO, I am looking to send one of my bags through a courrier company or something... Can anyone put me in the right direction??:confused::confused:

Merci!!

We sent a 20kg box via The Excess Baggage Company - cost around £160 for door to door service. The box went by sea, if had gone by air it would have been about £100 more from memory.

There are plenty of people offering this service, so I'd shop around. Just google 'excess baggage' and you'll get plenty of results.

Good luck

keeny Apr 26th 2009 5:52 pm

Sorry this may not be of any use to you - but my husband's new employer has booked our flights through Emirates flying via Dubai & they have just increased their luggage allowance to 30kg pp. (for flights on or after 4th May) so not as much as through USA but still better than the standard 20kg.

Matewx Apr 26th 2009 7:16 pm

Hi keeny,

Just looked on emirates website but can not see any info on this...

Perhaps you have 32kg coz you are an elite member??

keeny Apr 27th 2009 5:14 am

No mate, not an elite member (i wish) we are stuck in economy class. No I didnt see this on their website either - I was told about it by someone in their manchester office, called them to ask about something else in general (pram/pushchair allowance for expectant mothers of which there is none) and then was told as we were flying after 4th May that we will have 30 kgs as their policy had just changed. I took her name down & the date & time she told me so that if Im told any different in future I can track her down!! Try looking on their website for contact office number, and ask them over phone. Oh I hope she told me right :fingercrossed:

julesnye Apr 30th 2009 11:14 am

If you have asingle ticket then you can approach the airline direct giving flight details and they may offer extra luggage allowance, it's worth a try.;)

lardyl Apr 30th 2009 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by julesnye (Post 7529200)
If you have asingle ticket then you can approach the airline direct giving flight details and they may offer extra luggage allowance, it's worth a try.;)

speak nicely to them in advance and mention that you are emigrating and some airlines will be nice back, AirNZ let us have a few extra items and a few extra kilos via LAX.

Good luck,
A YamYam - not everything from the Black Country is all bad.

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 30th 2009 8:48 pm

Just remembered (blonde & old), Friends of mine emigrated nearly 2years ago now & came with Emirates. She contacted them prior to travelling & got an extra luggage allowance. I seem to remember them arriving with 2 suitcases each :) Hope this helps.

Stoof Apr 30th 2009 9:13 pm

might not be any help, but we're flying with singapore in June and cos of the visa's and one way flight we've had emailed confirmation of double luggage allowance for all of us... 120kg for the three of us, and as many pieces as we want, tho no individual to be over 32 kg. whoever you end up with, probably worth asking about the extra allowance?

if not, i'm sure i've seen people on here recommend seven seas for sending excess stuff separately? (ie when not enough for a full container) hth

Matewx Apr 30th 2009 9:17 pm

Yep!

You guys are going with a PR...

I will be going with a work visa... So no Xtra allowance... Will make further enquiries though!

Stoof Apr 30th 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7530752)
Yep!

I will be going with a work visa... So no Xtra allowance... Will make further enquiries though!

ah, sorry!!! maybe try seven seas then? defo been mentioned a few times recently, can't remember by whom tho - sorry... probs worth a search... which i'd do myself for you cept it's past my bedtime!

Matewx Apr 30th 2009 9:19 pm

Ah!
Thanks Stoof!!

lardyl Apr 30th 2009 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7530752)
Yep!

erm for us it was 2 x work (2 yrs), 1 x student and 1 x visitor with PR in the post (due to louse-up by a brummie path lab!!). The tickets were one-way though. Some time ago but HTH. :)